Food & Drink [Spoiler] Exploit?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Food & Drink [Spoiler] Exploit?

Post by PhilosophiX »

You can create food with level 1 Divinity? Isn't this a bit of an exploit. I'm playing a mage, so I can't comment on how easy it is to make water with Elemental magic, (my character started with 5 elemental) I assume it's just as easy. Which means anyone with 200 gold coins to spare and access to Port Khuudad can buy training in level one divinity and level one elemental and have access to an unlimited supply of food and water.

Isn't this a bit 'cheap'?

I see how it's been done, with the most minimal effects at the lower levels, but think about it for a moment - it still gives anyone access to an infinite supply of food.

Surely an unlimited supply of food would cost more in terms of effort and coin? I would think making the effects start only from level 5 onward would make more sense.

Also I was wondering; I have foraging at level 3. Does training foraging higher improve the quality or quantity of the reagents I find while camping, or only slow the food and drink bars down. Because if it only slows the bars down, then it's pointless putting more points into it since I can conjure plenty of food or water whenever needed.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Slarty
Marshall

Re: Food & Drink [Spoiler] Exploit?

Post by Slarty »

From my testing, at level 1 you'll find a new reagant about every 5 hours of consecutive camping, and that time goes down slowly as your Foraging skill rises.

I haven't noticed other effects, but I could easily have missed something.

And to be fair, the requirements for creating food and water aren't THAT low -- you need that 200 gold, plus you need to buy Create Food and Draw Water, plus you need at least 15 INT and WIS.

But yeah, it's a much better deal than having to carry food around all the time.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

PhilosophiX wrote:
Also I was wondering; I have foraging at level 3. Does training foraging higher improve the quality or quantity of the reagents I find while camping, or only slow the food and drink bars down. Because if it only slows the bars down, then it's pointless putting more points into it since I can conjure plenty of food or water whenever needed.
Yes, the higher your Foraging, the better your finds and more of them. It also depends on where your resting. In tree area your more apt to get Willow Bark, in Hammerlain(?) your more apt to get Ectoplasim and ambergris, etc. You can sell what you don't need.

I don't know about the food/drink query, as I don't have that turned on. I stopped after the first version of the beta testing. It was too distracting to get around and find bugs and error. :) I may try again later.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Personally I think the create food/water spells should be eliminated completely, or at least limited to how often they can be cast. It does make the food/water challenge a bit easy to circumvent.
yodabomb
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by yodabomb »

I didn't get draw water until I was in the tauren tower level 3. I was about to die from thirst and I found it in a chest - go figure. Yea, the game really doesn't need those spells.

RE: foraging - if you only have level 1 you'll get a ton of "common" reagents. In order to get the stuff you need to actually major legit potions you'll need a higher level.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

CrazyBernie wrote:Personally I think the create food/water spells should be eliminated completely, or at least limited to how often they can be cast. It does make the food/water challenge a bit easy to circumvent.
I think I agree, can't speak from experience, though.
Or maybe those spellscrolls - are it spellscrolls we're talking about? - should be made from degradeable paper, so they wear away with use just like equipment does.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Thanks for the info everyone. Pleased to hear that I have reason to put points into foraging. It's actually my favorite among the new skills. I wish when you were forraging food [Beatles, grubs, bats, things that the oportunistic might come across] would appear in your sack along with the reagents, and your water skin would top up a little rather than the bars slowing. But even without that it's still a great skill. :)
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

PhilosophiX wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. Pleased to hear that I have reason to put points into foraging. It's actually my favorite among the new skills. I wish when you were forraging food [Beatles, grubs, bats, things that the oportunistic might come across] would appear in your sack along with the reagents, and your water skin would top up a little rather than the bars slowing. But even without that it's still a great skill. :)
If you're planning to eat the Beatles, I'd say stick with Ringo and Paul. George and John always struck me as a bit stringy.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.