The pacifist challenge question

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

The pacifist challenge question

Post by micks »

I'm trying out a true thief/untouchable/pacifist build with all the optional rules turned on and while it has been (predictably) quite a challenge so far, it is also really fun, as you have to figure out alternate solutions that help you evade combat (and so far, such options have always been there).

My question to those really familiar with the game is this: the pacifist challenge allows for as much as 20 kills. Is this the approximate number of kills you absolutely need to make in order to finish the game or does it include side-quests that cannot be finished without killing, or even some extra "accidental" kills? I haven't advanced too far, but I've already got 5 kills (4 accidental, 1 quest-related), does it mean I should restart if I want to have a chance at succeeding at the challenge? Thanks in advance for all answers.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: The pacifist challenge question

Post by Randomizer »

I tried a pacifist/healer and made it through Hammerlorne with 8 kills. But this was during beta testing before trainers were available.

You can avoid most kills by following the advice of King Arthur and his noble knights, "Runaway."

Having enough Pick Locks (about 15) and you can avoid things like having to kill Sparrow to enter Hammerlorne and a certain few fights at the end to complete the game. To avoid other fights it helps to have Hide in Shadows around 15 and some move silently.
Invisibility either by spell or potion is another key. Dense Nimbus will protect you from missile attacks. Charm of sparkling wonder should help get past some obstacles on the way to Edon.

Then it's really whether you want to get all the bells.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

"20 kills" was really an arbitrary number. I just set it up like that, and never changed it.

If it turns out that less that 20 is extremely easy to do, I can certainly adjust that challenge for future versions.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by micks »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:"20 kills" was really an arbitrary number. I just set it up like that, and never changed it.

If it turns out that less that 20 is extremely easy to do, I can certainly adjust that challenge for future versions.
I see. I was basically curious about the number of kills that are absolutely necessary in order to finish the game, so I take this means it's definitely less than 20.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

If you bring up the challenge screen, just click on a challenge to get the details.
karry
Initiate

Post by karry »

So, if you avoid all the killing, what will the end level be like ? 6 ?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It depends upon how many quest you do and how you deal with locks and traps. You should easily get over 12 levels just doing the main quest path and some easy non combat quests like giving the mother of a sick child the potion.
karry
Initiate

Post by karry »

You should easily get over 12 levels just doing the main quest path and some easy non combat quests
I think you hyperbolise, i completed 24 quests before going to Edon, while killing everything that moves, and i just got level 16. About 10 of those 16 i got from kills i'd say.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I'd peg it to at least 10. At low level, you'd be looking at close to 4 levels gained from the bells challenge alone, should you be able to complete it.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It depends also on what you set the rules at since hardcore rules is +5% experience.

I usually am level 17 by the time I reach Edon and level 19 entering Talushorn in a kill everything game. It makes a major difference how you deal with locks and traps, too.