Where's the Beef?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
RasterOps
Apprentice

Where's the Beef?

Post by RasterOps »

There's no more food in the nearby village (next to home). There was far too little to begin with. There's no food in the forest, there are no nearby rats... There's no game (deer). I can't fish... I'm going to starve!

There are no torches being sold by anyone. All indications are that merchants don't restock... EVER.

This is ridiculous!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Where's the Beef?

Post by Randomizer »

Merchants restock on the 8th day after you first visit that merchant. You can stay at an inn or your own house in bed if you really need to pass the time. Starving isn't that bad.

Torches are occasionally available in inn, but it's easiest to just pick them up from sconces on the walls, especially when you are leaving a dungeon that you don't plan on returning to later.

More food will be available in version 1.03 but you have to start a game with that version to have the food in places you have already visited.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Stay overnight in an Inn. They feed you.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Stay overnight in an Inn. They feed you.
Heh, that's too simple and makes far too much sense. It is easy to get caught in the game mindset.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

But there was just a murder... The Inn keeper won't rent any rooms. Which doesn't make any sense.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Yeah, why won't he just move the body out and let you stay geez...:P

Hint: There is more then one town.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Also invest in the foraging skill it will slow down your thirst and hunger meters, because you are living off the land. Also you can get reagents to sell or use.
Eventually you may come across the Draw Water scroll. If you have the divination skill you can learn the spell and draw water from the air to fill your water skins. You can also learn to create food.

So hang in there.
History is written by the winners!
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Draw Water is an Elemental spell. Create Food is Divination.
dragonslayer
Apprentice

Post by dragonslayer »

Create Food for the win, Rank 2 makes berry which also resolve the water problem, besides, Create Food = money making machine, i would suggest to make items created via create food or foraging worth 0 gold and can't be sold.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

RasterOps wrote:
But there was just a murder... The Inn keeper won't rent any rooms. Which doesn't make any sense.
Find another inn :)
In every other town, there is an inn where they will feed you.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

I only just made level 4. I am still working on nearby quests and have only completed (or partially) a few: The Eyeglass Mystery, Delivering the Letter to the Twin Brother, The Blacksmiths Decorative Sword and Dragonele (sp?) Nest. So, I haven't left the general area yet. Also at level 4 I have only invested in these skills and with these amounts:
  • Light Armor = 1
  • Dodge = 1
  • Mercantile = 6
  • Find Hidden = 1
  • Bow Weapons = 3 (free)
  • Swords = 3
Suggestions?

I have restarted 3 times (more?) just dealing with this problem. More than once I intended to travel to somewhere else looking for food. I was out of food and would have surely encountered hostilities. Then I would have been wounded and unable to rest; waking from sleep due to starvation causing additional trauma.

This time I am doing better, barely, because I'm resting less to recover from wounds and I'm stealing just about everything, especially from the governor, chancellor, chambermaid, whoever he is; ah yes, the Constable.

Spoiler:
I even blackmailed the Constable to complete the Blacksmith's quest without spending any of my own hard earned and insufficient gold coins.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

The quest I'm not seeing here is the one you get from the priest in Eastwillow. It takes you down to a dungeon area where there are quite a few mice. Although I can hardly imagine you haven't spoken to the priest...

I'm not very experienced myself yet with this game, but I found that level 1 foraging already made a big difference. Mercantile I didn't find very useful. I gathered a few levels and found it made just a few pennies difference. I've seen someone post that it even let you make money through buy low and sell high, but I'm assuming that's only on very high levels.

Probably, for better advice, you should post your attributes together with your skills.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

I decided to skip the priest quest as I didn't know the difficulty of the dungeon, expected skeletons, zombies, etc., expected to be hurt; bad and alot, would need to rest and eat more rare food. Rat meat isn't very filling. Plus, since no shop sells torches, I must steal them just to see.

My attributes rock. I spent ~10 minutes re-rolling to get sweet starting attributes. After rolling, choosing my character, a Ranger and adjusting my stats, I ended up with this:
  • Strength = 20
  • Dexterity = 16
  • Endurance = 16
  • Speed = 16
  • Intelligence = 14
  • Wisdom = 14
  • Perception = 15
  • Concentration = 16
So now, here I am looking for another town and instead I find a bandit camp... Is there a road, a signpost perhaps? I don't know. I have NEVER played this before. EVERYTHING is new, which is good! I am wandering through the wilds trying to find these elusive towns with Inns getting beat up along the way. If I survive... well... I might have more stuff and EP.
Last edited by RasterOps on May 22nd, 2010, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

30 f'ing gold for a room??? I may be starving and wounded but that is insane!

No, even with 6 Mercantile skill I have no money. 30 gold for a room would be ~25% of my total. Unacceptable! This is true of the cost of food and supplies as well, including arrows. I can get arrows for 1G each. 5 misses and there goes 5G...

I'm getting frustrated. Although I made it to Everdale, I reloaded and am back in Eastwillow. Not enough money, too many misses and combatants seemingly too tough; yeah I gave up.

Yes I switch combat modes consistently. I almost always use Finesse for bow shots. Five misses later...
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

It sounds like you might be better off playing without hunger and thirst. It is an optional rule for a reason.