I NEED *YOUR* HELP!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I NEED *YOUR* HELP!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

First of all, this only applies to people who are currently playing the 1.03 beta version posted here:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =20&t=3408

Now, what I need is 5 new "premade" characters: a Fighter, a Thief, a Magick User, a Healer, and a Ranger. The old pre-made characters (the ones you can get by pressing F1-F5 within the character editor) are broken due to some changes in the character file format.

HERE ARE THE RULES:

Anyone who wants to participate needs to make a character that would be considered an ideal "starter" character for someone unfamiliar with this game. The character needs to look and feel like their class- so, a Ranger needs to have all the appropriate stats and skills, as does a Magick User, Healer, etc.

You can choose the name and the portrait. You can choose the starting skills, the Axiom, the Origin, etc. It's all up to you. Just make it the kind of character that you think is ideal for that particular class. Remember, this does not mean it will necessarily be the absolute best character possible- just make it a good, solid starter character that ideally represents the essence of the Class you choose.

Once you've made the charcater and you'e started the game, SAVE YOUR GAME IMMEDIATELY. Quit, then go to your saved game slot and copy out the "char" file. Post it here or email it to me. Let me know what it is (FIGHTER, ROGUE, etc.) so I can sort them out and pick out my favorite 5.

The five characters I choose will then be included in the official 1.03 release on Wednesday!

Have fun!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Buckets
Council Member

Re: I NEED *YOUR* HELP!

Post by Buckets »

I'd love to help, but I uninstalled the first 1.03 and am downloading the new one but it gets stuck at 95%. Can you post another link perhaps?

Edit: Got it!
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Okay, here are 5 preset characters. I used my old school knowledge of what these characters typically represent, combined with your description of each character type in the character creation screen and my knowledge of Eschalon. Each one has the agnostic axiom for no penalties and benefits. I gave each character cartography to help out the newbie player. For the same reason I probably should have given them foraging but instead spent those points on character specific skills. I hope you like them. :D
Attachments
Presets.zip
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
sgrex
Initiate

Post by sgrex »

Sounds like fun!

OK, I'll try it. Here's my thoughts on a ranger:

Code: Select all

Attributes:
Since we will be using bows, we should build Dexterity and Concentration, so I kept rolling until I had both at 12+, pretty much ignoring the other ones. I ended up with 10+ everywhere except Strength at 8, Endurance at 9 and Perception at 8. So of the 20 points available, I put 3 into END to get to 12, 2 into STR to get to 10 to make it a round number, 9 into DEX to 22, and the remaining 6 to get CON to 20.

Class:
Ranger, as I said

Axiom:
Rangers spend most of their time ouside, they love nature and its beings, so I'd say Druidic fits best

Origin:
Therish gives us CON and DEX, which fits a bow-master best

Since we decided on Ranger, DEX is more useful than STR, so we'll make her a female.

Skills:
We set bows to 5, since that will be our preferred weapon, we want it as high as possible, as soon as possible. (not using the go-to-6-points-trick)

Also, being a ranger, she is certainly an expert on Foraging, so we give her 2 points there, and as a person who spends lots of time exploring and/or traveling, she will know how to make maps, so we put 2 points in Cartography.

Which leaves us with 3 points for an additional skill, which was a more difficult decision - she will know stuff about plants, herbs, and the likes, but since we don't have enough points for both Alchemy and Medicine, I went for Alchemy because I found it more useful (and also, it combines well with Foraging)

On a playthrough for myself, I would have left out Alchemy and just bought it later on, but that gives new players the ability to experiment and mix the stuff they find via foraging right away, (My suggestion: Also put an empty flasks in one of the boxes right in my house), and also re-rolled to get STR higher, because I somehow always end up carrying lots of stuff around.

So, I present Tina, the Dryad.

Mage

Attributes: Basically, same procedure, just that we want PER and INT as first priority, and possibly CON and WIS as second pri. I got lucky and got me a 14/14 in PER/INT at the third roll, so I stayed with that.

Class: Mage

Axiom: Agnostic. Doesn't really matter, since none of them seems to be especially fitting for a mage.

Origin: Emayu, because we get more PER, and some WIS is also useful if we want to extend to Divination magic later

Gender: Doesn't realy matter, but the bearded older man's portrait fits nicely, so Male.

Skills:

As before, raise our primary weapon skill to max, so Elemental 5

Since we are making a char for beginners, we aren't going for "pure mage", but want to also give him a melee-weapon-talent, for those who want to stay alive without having to rely on magic, I chose bludgeoning, because to fight with swords, one needs training, but everyone, even a person totally not a fighter, can pick up a stick and bash their enemies' heads in. For defense, light armor seems most fitting.

Also, for noob players, we want Cartography, but everyone besides the ranger only gets it to 1.

So, I present Aloysius the Mystic

Fighter

Fighter:

Let's go for the classic Paladin here

Attibutes: swords, therefore strong in STR and SPE, and END

Class: Fighter

Axiom: Virtuous

Origin: Nor'Lander

Skills: Swords 5 (given), Cartography 1, Light Armor 2 and Repair 2
So, I present Kashuan the Paladin

Healer

Healer:

Attibutes: Build on PER and WIS

Class: Healer

Axiom: People going though the world selflessly healing, curing and caring for others? Boring. Nah, that's not how the world works. We want a healer who uses his abilities for personal gain, so we also make him nefarious.

Origin: Kessian

Skills: As a healer, we obviously want Divination, we get Piercing as a granted skill, plus Cartography. Since we decided we want to get rich, we also add Mercantile.

I present Da'rako the Necromancer

Building a good rogue seems to be the most difficult one, because there are so many specific abilities, I'll think about that one later.
Attachments
my_characters.zip
(1002 Bytes) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by sgrex on May 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by micks »

Here's my shot at a rogue character, plus an explanation of the choices I made.

I wanted to make a character build that would encourage a distinct "thief" style of play. A hybrid build would probably be more beginner-friendly, while a veteran Eschalon player would probably go for even narrower specialization; I found this to be a reasonable compromise.

I chose a Therish (boosting the key attributes of concentration and dexterity) agnostic (leaving possibilities open), getting the "pick locks" skill automatically; I raised the skill level to 2. I then added the essential "hide in shadows" (for a chance to avoid combat/commit crimes unnoticed) and "spot hidden" (coupled with high perception, this should allow the player to discover most early game traps) skills, raising both to 2 as well.
I finished by choosing a single rank of "skullduggery", and, after some thought, "unarmed combat" which should take the player through most early fights without the need to rely on coming across the "right" sort of weapon first (plus, trainers for other weapon skills can be found relatively soon). I chose these last two over "move silently" (not that crucial, can be effectively supplanted by high dexterity, as we use no armor) and any of the nice-to-have but ultimately non-essential support skills like "mercantile", "cartography" or "lore".

I used the attribute points to pump up dexterity, perception, concentration and speed. These not only complement the selected skills but also provide high natural armor rating and allow for relatively effective use of ranged weapons (especially bows) even with the "unskilled" penalty.
Attachments
char.zip
(266 Bytes) Downloaded 182 times
Last edited by micks on May 24th, 2010, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

These are all great! I've received a couple via email which are very nice as well.

I won't wait too long before selecting the 5 to put int the game- I need to get version 1.03 packaged up very soon. So if you want to toss your character into the meat grinder, do it quickly!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I call this, "Lilith: the early, magickless years."

Her father was both a great Warrior and powerful Shaman, but Lilith chose to follow in the footsteps of her deceased mother. While she certainly has the aptitude for both Divination and Elemental Magick, she prefers stealth and skill with lightweight armaments. Her beliefs do not match up with any of the current teachings in Mistfell, and her race is indicative of her mystical background. What she lacks in strength, she makes up for in speed and agility. Having focused on combat, her knowledge of mechanical inner workings is rudimentary at best. In any case, she has the potential to become a great thief or assassin.
Attachments
Lilith.JPG
Lilith.JPG (38.43 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Lilith.zip
(246 Bytes) Downloaded 201 times
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dang! I wish I could play this game too!! :cry:

(Stupid Mac OS!! :evil: :P )
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

Well,

Going for a pure melee fighter here. I rolled stats looking for a 12+ for STR, END and SPD. Ended up getting a pretty nice roll. As you can see from the screenshot, I rounded things out nicely. I went with a more traditional build rather than trying to max out.

I went with Agnostic, making this fighter a Barbarian.

Bludgeoning Weapons - 5
Heavy Armor -5
Shields - 2

Just a very traditional meat shield fighter.
falstart.jpg
falstart.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
Attachments
Falanor.rar
(224 Bytes) Downloaded 198 times
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Have the final five been picked then? Which ones did you pick? :lol:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Buckets wrote:Have the final five been picked then? Which ones did you pick? :lol:
Actually Buckets, I did pick yours though I changed out your Rogue- not because yours was bad but because I didn't want to show such lopsided favoritism. :wink:

Also, to be fair to everyone else, I ran out of time sooner than I thought and had to get Steam's version uploaded. I didn't have much to choose from.

Everyone else- don't feel your efforts were in vain! I was thinking that if we keep getting new characters from everyone, I can add them all to version 1.04. So for example, when you choose a pre-made Ranger, the system would just pick a random one from the pool of however many we had.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Actually Buckets, I did pick yours though I changed out your Rogue- not because yours was bad but because I didn't want to show such lopsided favoritism. :wink:
Gosh, I'm so honoured. :oops: Well, my rogue wasn't my favourite anyway. I love that the rest got in though! :D Thanks!