Eschalon: Book II Reviews!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Squee
Pledge

Re: Eschalon: Book II Reviews!

Post by Squee »

Hi, I'm the reviewer. I thought I'd just come and say hi.

I'm a little surprised to see quite so much anger about my review to be honest. I thought Eschalon was an OK RPG. I gave it a 6.5 out of 10, which I admit wasn't a wonderful score, but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it well enough, then reviewed it down the middle of the road. As someone posted earlier, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I'm sorry you're disappointed, there's obviously a healthy community here who absolutely love it, and that's great.

I think it's important to let you know, though, that I don't work FOR Game Debate. I'm a freelancer, and any agreements or otherwise regarding advertising or whatever else had nothing to do with me. I got a game to review, I reviewed it, and that's that. Would you actually want the reviewer involved in any backroom money dealings? Put yourself in my shoes. If there'd been some kind of money changing hands somewhere along the line, and some editor got in touch and said "They're going to advertise, so make sure that you give the game at least an 8.5 regardless of what you think of it", wouldn't that cheapen the review? I assure you we didn't all sit around rubbing out hands evilly and deciding to write some kind of derogatory review as punishment for only thinking about advertising! As I said, the advertising has nothing to do with me, thankfully.

One last thing, though - Game Debate. That's the name of the site. It's about debate. Not just some mouthy freelancer spouting his opinion and expecting everyone to obey it. My review was only my opinion, and I can fully understand the enjoyment to be had from a RPG - I sank enough hours into the Bard's Tale back in the eighties, and RPGs ever since. So I'd really like to invite anyone with a constructive counter-argument to come over to the site and air your views.

Anyway, that's all I have to say.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

There were a few posts about your review, but not really a flame war. Most of us have never heard of your site, so your review is irrelevant except that BW really needs good word of mouth for his game to succeed. I'm surprised anybody from the old school days would diss Eschalon Book II. I'd say 6.5 is a little low.

Still, you have a handful of people here who think this game should be given a 10 just because it's an indie. Sorry, there are no free passes. Eschalon has some pretty significant flaws. Many maps are almost completely empty. I'm not sure why there are so many maps that have 10 total creatures or less in them. Items are pretty boring. Most challenges are anything but challenging because of save/reload.

Outside of those issues though, I find the game incredibly entertaining. Certainly worth a little higher than 6.5 but not a 10 either. I'd probably rate it about an 8 and a must have for any turn-based fan.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Squee wrote:I enjoyed it well enough, then reviewed it down the middle of the road.
The review sounded very disattached, like you hadn't really gotten into the game.
'I've seen it all before' is what your opinion seems to boil down to. An opinion like that doesn't really invite counter-arguments; your review just doesn't sound like you want to discuss the game, sorry.

I'm all with you on countering a suspicion of conflicting interests, though. If your integrity as a reviewer gets questioned, you'll probably want that cleared up before anything else.

Now here's an example of someone who actually touches on the content of the game, and would get more debate:
tungpr wrote:Eschalon has some pretty significant flaws. Many maps are almost completely empty. I'm not sure why there are so many maps that have 10 total creatures or less in them. Items are pretty boring. Most challenges are anything but challenging because of save/reload.
I agree on the 'empty maps' notion.
Your save/reload criticism I don't understand, as that's an option; in hardcore you haven't got it.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

Jedi, this is an impression from reading the forum Jedi. Don't take it personally. I liked the game. I'd give it a 7 or an 8 and I've been playing crpgs since before many here were born. That's a decent score. The last half of the game is nearly empty, there aren't anywhere near enough enemies for a rogue-like, and item generation is uninspired at best. Not being able to replace a spell in your spellbook is another failure and it's unforgivable because it existed in the first game. It's probably a design choice on BW's part and that's fine. These are flaws that I found. There are several fun things too. I love exploding barrels and destructible content. This is a nice touch. I like the spot hidden skill and thought it could be utilized far more.

Challenges are still silly in my book. Say I kill an NPC on hardcore and fail the priest challenge; reload and I'm still good to go. Same with bashing a chest, or failing a trap. All are fixed with the reload mechanic. If that wasn't the case, then nobody would have 11 challenges completed. It'd be almost impossible to do more than one or two. An autosave on failure would be the only way for most of the challenges to be challenging. Even then, just move your savegames to a different folder and overwrite if you fail. Challenge games just don't work in a save anywhere environment.

Overall, I found it to be a fun game that could be improved quite a bit with a little effort. I'm hoping the expansion will involve improving the existing game along with adding a dungeon. We'll see.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

tungprc wrote:Challenges are still silly in my book. Say I kill an NPC on hardcore and fail the priest challenge; reload and I'm still good to go. Same with bashing a chest, or failing a trap. All are fixed with the reload mechanic.
This is true, of course. What I had in my mind was another post of you somewhere where you said that you reloaded when you didn't like the content of a chest. Then reloading in hardcore wouldn't help.
And also with reloading won't save you the gains you were getting with that kill or that chest, if that cost you your True Thief of True Healer challenge. It will merely save you your status with regards to that challenge. You will still have to find another way to get ahead in the game, without the key or whatever vital thing was in that chest or in the pocket of that priest.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Jedi_Learner wrote:So Elwro, when can we expect your review of Eschalon: Book II? :D Your review of the first game was very fair and balanced.
Soon :D Actually, today is the day on which I will finally submit my PhD :D... I took a break from applying the finishing touches to check this forum :-)

The review is already partially written and I have lots of screens ready. I have to check a few things with my mage character, though.

OK, back to work :D Thanks for the kind words regarding my review of Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Elwro wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:So Elwro, when can we expect your review of Eschalon: Book II? :D Your review of the first game was very fair and balanced.
Soon :D Actually, today is the day on which I will finally submit my PhD :D... I took a break from applying the finishing touches to check this forum :-)

The review is already partially written and I have lots of screens ready. I have to check a few things with my mage character, though.

OK, back to work :D Thanks for the kind words regarding my review of Book I.
Elwro, you were a bit critical of the plot of Book II. You might want to wait for the add-on adventure which will hint at what the Orakur really are. Anyone who is sure the story is heading in a "cliche sci-fi direction" hasn't used much imagination when reaching to this conclusion. I have been quite surprised at the number of people who have jumped to this conclusion and condemned the game for it, though admittedly the story was written to keep the player guessing and so I should be happy it has worked.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

I'm not critical of the sci-fi direction. I'm critical about the main character acting the way he does... the way he NEEDS to act in order to follow the main quest. Well, we already talked about that, I think - Korren's way of doing things strikes me, and should strike my character, as extremely unreasonable.
Cypress
Apprentice

Post by Cypress »

I did a four pages long piece on EB2 in Ubuntu User Magazine. The next issue (due to appear next month) begins with this article. My little tribute to the game. I'm not allowed to show you the rest of the text but here's the first draft page that was sent to me today. Basilisk should prepare for a boost in sales next month. :)

One does not simply walk into Fathamurk...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Cypress wrote:I did a four pages long piece on EB2 in Ubuntu User Magazine. The next issue (due to appear next month) begins with this article. My little tribute to the game. I'm not allowed to show you the rest of the text but here's the first draft page that was sent to me today. Basilisk should prepare for a boost in sales next month. :)
:D Thanks so much!! I am not familiar with this magazine- is it an online only e-mag or can I get a dozen copies at Borders? :)
Cypress
Apprentice

Post by Cypress »

You're welcome. A game like Eschalon deserves decent coverage.
Ubuntu User Magazine is published by Linux New Media AG, the same people that make Linux Magazine, Linux Pro Magazine, Linux User and Easy Linux. It is a printed magazine that's distributed all over the world in several languages. Of what I was told today, the issue with EB2 goes to print on the 28th (in two days). As for where you can get it, I guess any decent magazine stand would do (for people in the US).
One does not simply walk into Fathamurk...
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Actually, I have to say, when describing the game to my mates, I've mentioned that the ending was straight out of the TV Tropes entry on Sufficiently Advanced Alien, or perhaps Higher Tech Species.

Since BW is capable of crafting such a game (and based on comments he's made), I have to assume that he's not taking the obvious route, but... right now the evidence is a little thin on the ground. I'm looking forward to seeing where he's going with this.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

That guy is lame. Pay no attention, BW. It's a lot easier for people to tear down others than to actually invest some time in building something themselves.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

:lol: That's funny stuff! No worries...it doesn't appear to be a serious review, but even if it was, we can't please everyone. Thanks for the link Jedi!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I particularly liked his Amnesia "walkthrough".