Feature Request for general.cfg

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Feature Request for general.cfg

Post by silverkitty »

The motivation for this request comes from features of the Windows Vista operating system, but applies to other systems such as Linux in that it would allow different players to have different configurations.

Basically, in the place in the code where you read general.cfg, I'd like you to do one of these things:
  • look in the same place you save games first for a file with the same name (i.e. in the same directory where eb2.cfg appears) and use that general.cfg instead (if it exists)
    or
  • load the "central" general.cfg first, then additionally load any general.cfg that appears in the same directory with eb2.cfg, allowing it override settings in the "central" general.cfg
    or
  • allow the same options which appear in general.cfg for keyboard overrides to appear in eb2.cfg
The "Vista" motivation is that I have to log out as me and log in as SuperUser to modify general.cfg. But the more general application on multi-user operating systems like OS/X and Linux would be to allow each user to have their own keyboard config. But, mostly, I just don't want to have to log in as admin to edit my keyboard shortcuts (I want to move movement off the numpad since I use a laptop as my "main" computer these days).