More money or More quests needed

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
spideysense
Initiate

More money or More quests needed

Post by spideysense »

More money in the game would be nice or more ways of making it. Or more opening quests at the beginning to get your skills under way. I've only gotten to the Port so far so maybe it gets easier later?
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Re: More money or More quests needed

Post by Gorgon Rider »

You might find This Thread amusing. Won't solve your problem, likely, but it may give you some ideas on how to increase your wealth.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

I'm now quite a ways past the Port and I was just thinking the opposite. I have too much money now and am out of ways to spend it. I've bought all the skills I want to upgrade. There is no new equipment I want to buy. I've only just finished the mine so maybe down the road there will be some equipment to drool over, but for now I'm walking around with over 10,000 gold and very expensive equipment to sell that nobody can buy. I've only got mercantile 3 so that's not the issue. I actually enjoyed the challenge of being poor in the beginning. I always like being able to drool over equipment I can't afford yet, knowing what to save up for.
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

What character build are you playing, Buckets? I haven't made it to the Port yet, but I'm curious to see what build you're playing. Does that maybe have something to do with the amount of money you have (I find mages tend to have less to spend their cash on in many games).
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

I'm playing a fighter with light armor only, shield and cleaving weapons with some bow capability. She doesn't have any magic except basic elemental for light. She has high level alchemy and some foraging though. Most of the money goes to great armor and weapons, some to rare reagents and potions such as invisibility. My greatest source of money seems to be found heavy armor items.
carrotghoul
Initiate

Post by carrotghoul »

My problem is I have too much money, and don't know where to spend.I'm carrying 58000 gold,have 60000 value equipment and weapons in stock,not to mention those countless reagents.
My advice for making money early is to train your foraging skill to 8 by the trainer ASAP,buy two forage ring, raise you mercentile skill past 10(though someone suggests 16 or 20,I think 10 is more than enough,you have dealer's hat and a book to add 4 more.)Then keep foraging,selling,untill you have enough gold in stock,buy poor conditioned but valuable equipment,equip the repair glove,sell them back.You will be wealthy in no time^^
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

If you manage to find the dwarven town you can spend some of that cash. I was just there and drooled over two pieces of Dragon armor (me poor cousin :( ) both light armour. One was 17,000+ and the other was 12,000+ as I recall. Chest and leggings. Sigh.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
pincaviglia86
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by pincaviglia86 »

spideysense wrote:More money in the game would be nice or more ways of making it. Or more opening quests at the beginning to get your skills under way. I've only gotten to the Port so far so maybe it gets easier later?
----------------------------
Last edited by pincaviglia86 on May 31st, 2010, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Here's why I think I have so much money despite never setting out to make money through mercantile skill or foraging:
I pick up everything I find and sell it. I look everywhere and take the game at a good enough pace so as not to miss anything. There is just so much treasure out there. You just have to take the time to find it. There are chests out in the wilderness, places to break into 8) , creatures that drop loot, etc. I also spend a lot of time in shops choosing carefully so I don't waste money on stuff I'll be replacing soon. And I don't waste arrows and potions, only using what I need to get the job done, which makes me have to rest more, which gives the shops more time to restock, which gives me better variety so I don't spend unwisely. I think it's just a style of play that results in more money.
Hope that helps a little.

Also, Dragonlady, thanks for the tip about stuff in the dwarf village. Although I've been there already and didn't find anything exceptional, certainly nothing of dragon quality, I'll be heading back soon and hope I find the goodies I want. Wish me luck! :mrgreen:
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

I'm a little surprised, myself, at my cash flow. I don't buy all the armor I can possibly wear, putting more emphasis on a good weapon, and I find that beginning enemies (dragonels and outlanders are easy, but molds with their ranged attacks and AI are harder) don't hit me often enough to bother with a full hemp outfit, for example. So I just wear what I find, and I have plenty of money for the occasional ring or repair.

I do tend to explore a lot, which helps, and quests pay pretty well.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Hmm, it didn't occur to me to not explore and pursue side quests. Perhaps that is the problem some people are having. If you just go after the main quest line, you won't make too much money right off, and the game would get difficult very fast.
flushfire
Initiate

Post by flushfire »

Antigrav wrote:I'm a little surprised, myself, at my cash flow. I don't buy all the armor I can possibly wear, putting more emphasis on a good weapon, and I find that beginning enemies (dragonels and outlanders are easy, but molds with their ranged attacks and AI are harder) don't hit me often enough to bother with a full hemp outfit, for example. So I just wear what I find, and I have plenty of money for the occasional ring or repair.

I do tend to explore a lot, which helps, and quests pay pretty well.
wait til you fight the stuff around and past port kuudad. :wink:
spideysense
Initiate

Post by spideysense »

I dunno. I'm a complete hoarder and pick up and sell everything i can. Maybe I should have concentrated on money making skills more at the beginning instead of combat skills but what's the fun in that if you are a gimped build.... Yeah I am playing through on easy now so I don't have to spend any money on food and drink which seemed to be eating up my funds a lot.

I explore everything I can but maybe I'm just on a continual losing streak when it comes to the random loot, even when saving and loading beforehand...

In that post you directed me to it talks about:
adding points on your first level up...

3points to Arcane Divine [6+3]
3points to Merchantile. [5+3]
3points to Perception. [34+3]

How do you add 9 points to things when I only get 3 points to use on stats and 3 for skills on each level up?!
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

spideysense wrote: In that post you directed me to it talks about:
adding points on your first level up...

3points to Arcane Divine [6+3]
3points to Merchantile. [5+3]
3points to Perception. [34+3]

How do you add 9 points to things when I only get 3 points to use on stats and 3 for skills on each level up?!
I believe he's saved skill points from the first level?
spideysense
Initiate

Post by spideysense »

I gather the secret is to put it on easy and not play with item degradation and eating/drinking. New char without those is much easier, like it should be...