What's missing??

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

What do you feel is missing from Book II??

More quests. :?:
36%
More difficulty options. :!:
7%
More enemies!! Grimlock Smash!! :twisted:
11%
Some wildlife would be nice. Add a little... flair. :idea:
13%
More NPCs!! Bring on the victims - er populace. :?
15%
Some previously mentioned feature that didn't make it in the game. I really wanted it!! *pout* :(
4%
More in-game lore. I'm a read-a-holic. 8)
5%
I think Book II is pretty well rounded. :)
7%
CrazyBernie's ugly mug! Grimlock Smash More!! :shock:
0%

Total votes: 220

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

What's missing??

Post by CrazyBernie »

Poll Train!!! This is the last one for tonight, I swear!

Multiple choice!!! Woohoo!! Pick your two "favorites."

*** Attention Guest Users ***

If you've played/are playing Book II, I would heartily recommend that you register and take the Book II Polls. The more voices heard means the more input that will be available when the time comes for Basilisk Games to embark on the next project, which obviously a lot of people hope is Book III. This is your chance to make a difference!! Let your voice be heard!!! Scream it from the rooftops!!! Okay, that last part might be pushing it a little... I don't recommend that you get on top of your roof... especially during inclement weather. 0_o
Last edited by CrazyBernie on May 31st, 2010, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Poll: What's missing??

Post by Farwalker »

Also missing: more interesting assortment of loot, and random benefits that can be on loot. Cool rare finds anyone?

Anyone else notice for example that the bonuses you can find on a certain grade of item are pretty limited? You say you wanted a toxin resistance bonus on your armor? Sorry, this model only comes in magic resistance or elemental resistance. However, if you're ok with this lower end model...
:(

Of course some tough areas with tough random encounters that might randomly yield up some of these things would also be awesome. Explore explore explore...
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

This one was easy to answer.

More quests and more npcs.
SPOILERS!!!!

Personally, I think we got short-changed with Broken Blade & Edon. At least ONE of the towns should have more content with NPCs, puzzles, things to do, etc. It's just too convenient a narrative that they were both overrun and mostly barren. Instead, it seems like maybe the game was rushing to completion and there was no time to add things.

As it turns out, my favorite part of the game was Port Kuudad. It enjoyed exploring and discovering the mysteries there. We needed another town like that. I dunno, it has been a while since I finished Eschalon I, but it just felt like there was more to do in that game.

To add a final bit of criticism: I found the last bit of the game to be somewhat mundane. A long walk through a parched and featureless landscape and then a mini dungeon-romp fighting pretty much the same creatures throughout.

Keep in mind, though, that even with these sharp criticisms I can easily recommend this game to those of us who grew up loving the Ultimas, The Magic Candle, Wasteland, etc. I will eagerly await volume #3, no doubt!
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

More quest and more in game lore.

For example, where is the well know Bestiary? :?:
Awesomeness
Pledge

Post by Awesomeness »

Your poll is missing a larger overworld, and more realisticness in general (As in maybe more skills, items, larger cities with not just mostly shop owners but a lot of random citizens, too, more complicatedness in gameplay etc.).

The latter is optional, but some people like large overworlds and stuff, and that means it's needed.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Most of this poll is based on what was most requested/mentioned before/after Book II's release. I realize that I may be missing a few things here and there, which is why I included that "Other Feature" option.

With this particular poll, I'm going to recommend that the top 3 most selected items be focused on for BW's next creation. However, given enough votes, anything else should also be given some weight. Of course this all needs to be within the realm of "doability" vs "affordability" given the size of the studio.
helivoy
Steward

Re: What's missing??

Post by helivoy »

Both East Nor'land (Hellice Lake) and West Amireth (Thundersun Grazing Lands) are too monotonous in both style and content. Given no landscape features to use for strategy, the player is reduced to brute force killing of enemies. The two areas would have been far better if they were either reduced in size, diminishing the langueurs, or better scripted/sculpted.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

I second Helivoy's point. Some areas in the west look unfinished.

But my point: Mana stealing witches! Or some other creature that targets the mana points from range. Something that can teach the invincible mages a lesson!
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Post by Tyranthraxus »

An Amiga port! :lol:
Simone
Apprentice

Post by Simone »

All of that except the last three. I only like books if they are short and funny. I would have lots of that, please.
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

Two other items that Basilisk Wrangler might consider including in Book 3:

Potion or Spell of Increase Level
Potion or Spell of Temporary Polymorphing
Potion or Spell of Levitation

These would be very high level, naturally. But they would give the player interesting choices (the player could "pass" as one of the enemy species, walk on water or lava, fly over chasms...)

I also think that nothing visible in the game should be intrinsically unreachable (examples: the three inaccessible regions in the map; several locked areas in shops and Hammerlorne). Cheating in the coordinates files is fine, but it's too frustrating for the less programming-savvy.
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

Also: the ability to wear more than two rings and one amulet. We can do so in real life, having more than two fingers and ample chests!
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

helivoy wrote:Both East Nor'land (Hellice Lake) and West Amireth (Thundersun Grazing Lands) are too monotonous in both style and content. Given no landscape features to use for strategy, the player is reduced to brute force killing of enemies. The two areas would have been far better if they were either reduced in size, diminishing the langueurs, or better scripted/sculpted.
Are you suggesting that a flat, barren wasteland/plain shouldn't be flat and barren?? That they should be altered just for the sake of combat strategy?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

In the west - Durnore and surroundings - there are about six maps with hardly anything on it. I found them boring to explore. The atmosphere was good, with the vast emptiness and the occasional snowstorm, but less map space would have done the same thing for me.
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

Jedi Learner, I've been playing Rogue-style games (which is the category that Eschalon belongs to) since the first 26-level alphanumeric game first showed up on UNIX. I enjoy this kind of game for the quality of the worldbuilding and the excitement of the exploration. So there's nothing wrong with an overpowered character that gets to walk around relatively unmolested. The game developer can do the challenge bit, just as with foraging and repair.

Crazy Bernie, that's why it's a game and not life. If fiction, or any other creative simulation, were truly "life-like" its readers/players/practitioners would promptly keel over from frustration and/or boredom.
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life