Wendy's Brother's Treasure

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Lysippe
Apprentice

Wendy's Brother's Treasure

Post by Lysippe »

What does the riddle about "bronze" mean? I haven't found any bronze bars and bronze weapons can't be placed on the pentacle. Thanks.
Apoteos
Steward

Re: Wendy's Brother's Treasure

Post by Apoteos »

Hint: You need to equip a lot of bronze armor...
The gift of life is so divine
But without death
Life would soon decline
Halorn
Pledge

Post by Halorn »

I have equipped Bronze Brigandine armor, a Bronze Full Helm, Bronze chain Leggings, Bronze chain boots, Bronze small shield and Bronze Battle axe. The teleporter still doesn't work for me am I missing something?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Halorn wrote:I have equipped Bronze Brigandine armor, a Bronze Full Helm, Bronze chain Leggings, Bronze chain boots, Bronze small shield and Bronze Battle axe. The teleporter still doesn't work for me am I missing something?
You need Bronze gloves as well. You actually don't need a Bronze weapon or shield.
Halorn
Pledge

Post by Halorn »

Thanks guys! I finally found Bronze gauntlets. it worked.
slm
Initiate

Post by slm »

This was probably my least favorite puzzle in any game I have played. I figured out I needed bronze, so I carried a bronze knife in with me. Nothing happened, so I gave up until later. Then from the forum I learned that you have to be covered in bronze. That's just no fun. If you have one bronze item, you have gotten the point of the puzzle. Having to cover yourself in bronze is just beating a dead horse.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

slm wrote:That's just no fun. If you have one bronze item, you have gotten the point of the puzzle. Having to cover yourself in bronze is just beating a dead horse.
I dunno, I disagree with that. It's meant to be a puzzle that requires some determination to complete. The reward (or at least, one of the rewards) for completing the puzzle is very lucrative; if you could just waltz in there with a single bronze item, you haven't really earned it, IMO. Tracking down a full set of bronze armor requires some dedication, which I feel is warranted, given the circumstances.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

The requirement of being decked out in bronze suggests to me that there needs to be a sufficient quantity of the metal to properly activate the teleporter... :!:
slm
Initiate

Post by slm »

CrazyBernie wrote:The requirement of being decked out in bronze suggests to me that there needs to be a sufficient quantity of the metal to properly activate the teleporter... :!:
Excellent counterpoint to my argument.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

slm wrote:This was probably my least favorite puzzle in any game I have played. I figured out I needed bronze, so I carried a bronze knife in with me. Nothing happened, so I gave up until later. Then from the forum I learned that you have to be covered in bronze. That's just no fun. If you have one bronze item, you have gotten the point of the puzzle. Having to cover yourself in bronze is just beating a dead horse.
I did the same thing, first thing I did was go in there with a bronze knife.

In my opinion: if a puzzle is so obscure (or difficult to test) that you have to go to the forums to verify your guess or find out the answer . . . it's not a puzzle that I really like. Decking yourself out in bronze is something, true, that might come to a person's head as a possibility, but it takes some time to collect all those items, and that problem eliminates this option from a gamer's possibilities . . . making the puzzle unsolvable unless you're willing to cheat (like we did).

Maybe if the 'riddle' had been more specific... .

But here's another problem, and maybe this is just me being picky about the writing, again, but: why would this guy put that sign up? Surely not to remind himself? If it's to give a clue to somebody in case he dies . . . well, it's not specific enough, and anyhow: too risky to put that plaque up there if it gives away the secret. What if somebody who isn't supposed to get it comes along? I mean, it's a good thing it was US who came along and then properly put it away at the library where he would've wanted it. Best for him: to tell somebody he trusted.

One of these would've been his sister, of course, which would've become problematic since she would've easily been able to get a hold of it, but this is also just the sort of narrative twist that people like, in a story. Maybe she knows the answer but it for some reason unable to obtain the material(s) needed to activate the teleport?

However: he surely would've had scholarly friends & contacts. Maybe the guy at the library knew him? Maybe Ruel would've told him how to access the room?

Maybe we should've had to go to somebody like him in order to get a hold of the secret?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

slm wrote:
CrazyBernie wrote:The requirement of being decked out in bronze suggests to me that there needs to be a sufficient quantity of the metal to properly activate the teleporter... :!:
Excellent counterpoint to my argument.
For some reason I'm reminded of this. :mrgreen:
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Nissyen wrote: In my opinion: if a puzzle is so obscure (or difficult to test) that you have to go to the forums to verify your guess or find out the answer . . . it's not a puzzle that I really like. Decking yourself out in bronze is something, true, that might come to a person's head as a possibility, but it takes some time to collect all those items, and that problem eliminates this option from a gamer's possibilities . . . making the puzzle unsolvable unless you're willing to cheat (like we did).

Maybe if the 'riddle' had been more specific... .
I believe the obscurity is justified... for reasons you may not have discovered yet... :!:

I think it's ok for any RPG to have an oddly obscure puzzle or two that's not required to complete the game.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

2d Rogue wrote:I believe the obscurity is justified... for reasons you may not have discovered yet... :!:
What's this? Is the challenger to rolled eyes awaiting me in the Yoma Springs?

Have at her! (Or him. Or it.)

Well, hope I meet it. (Or her. Or him.)
Jedi_Learner wrote:Curse you IJBall, I was just about to post my fake screenshot. :(
Serves you right. You've perturbed the answer-seekers long enough, Terror Jedi! Your Reign of Misdirection has come to an end!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
nottorp
Initiate

Post by nottorp »

Speaking of bronze, any hints on getting a full bronze suit for that puzzle when you're pretty advanced in the game and the vendors don't carry bronze any more?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Keep trying Everdale (Ara) and Port Kuudad (Big Sal) since they have the lower level armors. Also camp out for outlanders around Port Kuudad since they drop loot and it's usually the type you want.