Eschalon info wiki

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Eschalon info wiki

Post by SpottedShroom »

There's lot of great info about the games scattered around this message board, but a lot of it is hard to find. I'd love to work on setting up an organized source of information, and I think a wiki would be ideal.

So, a few questions:

1. BasiliskWrangler, do you have any interest in hosting an official wiki like you do this message board?

2. Assuming the answer to (1) is no, I would like to set up a wiki on wikispaces.com, which provides free hosting for basic wiki functionality. BasiliskWrangler and community members, would you have any issue with people taking information from this board and re-posting it on an unofficial site?

I just want to provide a better gaming experience for Eschalon players, but I want to be sure to do it the right way without upsetting anyone. Thanks!
Slarty
Marshall

Re: Eschalon info wiki

Post by Slarty »

That sounds like a lot of effort. It seems to me there are two simpler routes:

(1) Somebody collect all the info they think is worthwhile and put it into a text file FAQ, that you can use the search function on.

(2) Make a much more prominent link to Randomizer's "Strategy Central" topic which already offers easy, and clearly labelled, access to most of the info here.

That said, do whatever you like with the info I've dug up.
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

I think a Wiki is a wonderful idea, many games have it and it's very useful.
I won't have any problems if you use any of my topics in the wiki.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

True, compiling this would be a lot of effort, but I think it would be less than making a text file and keeping it up to date. With a wiki, everybody would be free to pitch in and make corrections/additions. The hypertext features would also be helpful.

Randomizer's Strategy Central topic is really what got me thinking about this in the first place. It's a good resource, but it's incomplete and a lot of times you have to read a whole linked thread to see corrections, etc. to the original post.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I've been sitting on this for a while, but I haven't had time to do much more updating recently. I figure I'll link it here and see if anyone finds it useful. If so, maybe other people will do some corrections or additions, or motivate me to do more.

http://eschalon.wikia.com/
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Very cool, SpottedShroom. You may want to break the stuff out into Book I information and Book II information, since a number of things changed from the addition of skill feats to changing the names of skill books.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Very cool, SpottedShroom. You may want to break the stuff out into Book I information and Book II information, since a number of things changed from the addition of skill feats to changing the names of skill books.
All the info there is currently for Book II. I'm still not sure whether it would be more useful to mix in Book I information or start another wiki.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Very cool, SpottedShroom. You may want to break the stuff out into Book I information and Book II information, since a number of things changed from the addition of skill feats to changing the names of skill books.
All the info there is currently for Book II. I'm still not sure whether it would be more useful to mix in Book I information or start another wiki.
You might make a note with a link to the Book 1 forum area for now.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Dragonlady wrote:You might make a note with a link to the Book 1 forum area for now.
Good idea - added.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Ooh, thanks Shroom. People like you are valuable.

I've been thinking, too, that Eschalon needs its own wiki... but I hadn't seen this thread until now.

I think that most web hosts have the wiki program already installed as an optional add-on, so if so: BW should be able to start his own wiki really quickly.

The only problem is that when spammers get in there: they delete the whole page to add in their nonsense. You can revert back, but it's a nuisance. I'm assuming the Wikia site has preventive features against this.

I'd add to it myself if I had true working knowledge of the game, but I don't . . . so I'd suggest that some of the beta testers start adding the necessary info at their leisure? Sure, it's a little work (not much, though, not so different from posting on a forum), but it's helpful for everyone. And methinks maybe it beats having to answer technical questions over and over again on these forums.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.