Seventh Start, an Adventure Unfolding

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
RasterOps
Apprentice

Seventh Start, an Adventure Unfolding

Post by RasterOps »

This story regales the the adventures of my seventh and a half start and attempt to play this game. I guess I'm slow to catch on. It contains spoilers!

So I rolled until I achieved suitable initial stats; didn't take too long. Then I chose a male character. I'm still going for a sword wielding Fighter so that makes me a Paladin. The race doesn't matter, as the bonus stats are redistributed anyway. Maybe BW would consider giving the stat bonus AND something like a 5% bonus to one of the resistances per the racial type, e.g. +5% Elemental Resistance for Nor'Landers. I also intend to use magic so Perception should still be high. My given skill was Sword and I chose Mercantile and Foraging. I put 4 additional points each into Mercantile and Sword. I put the last remaining point in Foraging. This is what I ended up with.

Forward

My thanks to the original dialog authors. Much of their work has been directly incorporated here, as theirs is a story worth telling.

I also wish to thank Basalisk Games for their inspirational game and those in the Basalisk forums who have made this journey possible through their understanding of Eschalon Book II. Without whose help Eschalon would be doomed as my character would have surely starved to death or become a pauper incapable of even repairing his shoes.

I have started and stopped several times and each time the story changed if only subtly. Hopefully this time I will complete the journey.

I'm proud of this work but I'm certainly no Master Writer. Nor do I consider myself well read, having never read any Shakespeare, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc. Although I have read the Silmarillion. I am certain I could benefit from additional training. I did search all of Eschalon for a skill book on Creative Writing but failed to find any. Ah well, such is my luck.

Chapter I

I have been living in Eastwillow for only a few months. I remember leaving war torn Thaermore but not why. Perhaps it was the war. I wasn't the only refugee but the details of the war were sketchy. All of my memories have just been so hazy, as if torn from my skull. My physique is fit and I have many scars that appear to be wounds from weapons not farming equipment. I might have been a guard but it's more likely I served in Thaermore's army.

All I had then was about the same as now and that's not much. Only a deed to my home drew me to Eastwillow. It is a nice home with separate living areas. The back door opens to a space next to the river and has a well. The back is fenced in as well which helps to keep this space a little more secluded and safe. Not that there's any danger in Eastwillow.

Eastwillow is a nice quite comfortable place to live. It is nestled on the eastern bank of the Yama River. The towns folk are friendly. Some even say I've been here for years but had been away during the Thaermore war. I can't remember past several months.

I woke to a growl. A familiar growl. One that would need to be taken care of soon lest it get the better of me. I should go to town and see if there's any food...

Stepping outside I found a letter had been left for me. It was from a man named Darus who asked to meet me at the Wayfarer's Jolly Inn. The letter had an ominous overtone to it.

The smith Keebo is the first shop on the way to Eastwillow from my home. I decided to purchase some basic gear while here, after which my available gold was cut in half. Keebo also offered me a job to return a decorative sword that he had made for Brelinda but for which she never paid.

The magic shop is just a few steps west of the smith's. The proprietor had no jobs for me but did mention she would buy alchemical reagents.

Around the corner now heading north the management office is on the left. Brelinda works here. I asked about the sword but she wasn't very cooperative. She said that she didn't even have it anyway as it was a gift to the Chancellor for his birthday. In fact she refused to pay for the weapon and had the audacity to claim Keebo should have donated it. It sounded like she never intended to pay for the weapon. Her deceit angered me. I may not be able to hurt her directly but perhaps if this office were robbed it would make her life a little more miserable. A little patience and Brelinda eventually walked far enough away that opening the vault gate went undetected. Inside the vault was a single unlocked chest.

Well, well, well. It seems the Constable is skimming funds from the coffers. I found a damning note, almost a letter of confession stored in the office vault. I nonchalantly left the management office and headed to the inn, which was just a short distance from here.

The Inn and the magic shop occupy the same building although being distinctly separated. At the inn I bought supplies and a book "The Fly's Defense". This book revealed to me tips for dodging opponents. One line in particular caught my attention "don't get hit, and you won't get hurt!" I told Jarvik I was looking for Darus. He said that we was staying in the north room and hadn't said a word since he arrived.

I went to the north room and opened the door. Standing near the window is a slender man whose lack of surprise at my entrance gives me the impression that he has been excepting my visit. Upon noticing me he gives a slight yet cordial nod, gesturing with his hand to enter.

He greeted me, "Hello, I must assume you found the note I left you. Thank you for coming to meet me. My name is Darus. Come, we have much to discuss."

I asked "How do you know me?"

Darus smiles. "My friend, how well do you really think you know yourself? I can assure you that I have actually known you for many uears - long before the events that have come to pass in Thaermore." Darus lowers his voice and leans towards me as if the very walls may be listening: "Things didn't turn out quite the way we planned, did they?"

"The truth is, you are not who you think you are. You are not some random person that got mistakenly caught up in the conflict that destroyed Thaermore, nor are you just another refugee. You are part of something much greater underneath it all, like the gears of a clock that turns the hands."

"Something much greater? What are you talking about?"

"Calm down, my friend. I understand that you would be doubtful. In fact, in the letter I left you, I wrote that you should not trust anyone. It is ironic now that I expect you to trust me, a complete stranger."

Darus takes a deep breath and then slowly releases the air in the form of a long sigh. "We have very little time to get you caught up on what is happening right now, so please listen carefully. There are events unfolding across Eschalon which will eventually affect every creature in this realm. It all began with the war surrounding the Crux of Ages. Before I continue, should I reiterate those events to you?"

"Yes, my memory is a biut foggy. Please recap the War of Thaermore for me."

"Certainly. The War of Thaermore was fought over a powerful gemstone called the Crux of Ages. The Therish called it their 'Prized Stone of Thaermore'. It was kept in the council chamber of Bastion Spire until the goblins of Crakamir, organized under the leadership of a powerful shaman, stole it by way of a portal. Thus began a terrible war between the Goblins and the Commonwealth Guard that led to the eventual downfall of Thaermore. You became caught up in the recovery efforts of the Crux of Ages, though the outcome of the war was inevitable regardless of your actions. No hero or villain could have changed the ultimate fate of the province of Thaermore."

"I am sorry for giving you such a terse description of these events, but the past is not as important as the present. This war is about something much bigger than the thesft of a simple gemstone."

"I understand. Please continue."

"very well. So here is what we currently know; when Thaermore finally fell, it was not the goblins that delivered the death blow, nor was it the mythical Orakur that the soldiers of Thaermore blindly chased after. It was the Taurax - those fearless hoofed beasts from the Grazelands of Amerinth. It was their plan all along to acquire the Crux of Ages for themselves. The goblin shaman who led the initial invasion of Thaermore was himself under the command of an even more powerful individual, a General who is now leading the Taurax."

"The Taurax are now in possession of the Crux of Ages."

"So what? The Taurax have themselves a gemstone. How does this effect me?"

"This is not some common gem that they possess, nor are these Taurax the tribal, barbarous creatures that they have historically been. They have become organized, powerful and tactical. It may be the very fact that they possess the Crux of Ages that gives them this advantage. Now they are moving again, summoning Sub Legions of lesser beasts to strengthen their army as they overrun each new land."

Darus pauses for a moment as if he is choosing how to deliver his next thought. "Understand this: they are not taking land for their own use and this is not a simple territory dispute. They are looking for something - something that you and I and a handful of others have sworn our lives to protect."

"Sworn to protect? I don't understand."

"There are three other gemstones - other 'Crux' - that complement the Crux of Ages. We have known of them for centuries, since the earliest days of Eschalon. Our scholars have uncovered ancient diagrams that show some type of... device... that the four Crux will make if they are reunited. The accompanying glyphs appear to warn us that the power of this device cannot be contained and so it has been our burden for four centuries to not allow this union to happen."

"You and I are part of a guild called the Crius Vindica whose task it has been to ensure the Crux are never united. You are bound to this fellowship through lineage and your whole life has been devoted to this cause. Your presence in Thaermore was part of a plan to secure the Crux of Ages, but there were unexpected problems. Another guild member who was sent in with you was caught by the enemy and the quest began to unravel. The erasure of your memory and the back story to cover-up your true past was all to protect the guild. Honestly, we never expected you to make it out alive."

"You didn't expect I would make it out alive? You made no attempt to help me?"

A look of apology sweeps over Darus' face. "My friend, I am sorry. It is the way of the guild. We all accept this risk with every quest we undertake, and it is the security of Crius Vindica which is paramount over the lives of its members."

"The important thing is that you did make it out alive and now we are calling on you to rejoin the guild that you were born into. The hour grows late. We now know that the Taurax are aware of us and our task. It is only a matter of time before..." Darus suddenly stops in mid sentence, his head turning quickly to the window. "Did you hear something?"

"No, I didn't hear anything..."

An assassin's arrow pierces the glass window and mortally strikes Darus in the head! As his body falls to the floor, you see an odd Viewing Glass slip half-way from his shirt pocket. I hurried to the edge of the window and cautiously peeked outside. It was broad daylight as they say and I could so no one outside the window. Nor any indication of anything suspicious.

I knelt by Darus and retrieved the Viewing Glass. The only clue left by the assassin was the arrow that had killed Darus. I carefully removed it from his corpse. I would find that assassin!

I informed Jarvik about Darus' murder. He asked how I knew and I explained why I had come to see him. Thankfully, he believed I had nothing to do with it. I asked if he knew anything about the viewing glass but he had never seen anything like it.

I left the Inn. Darus had helped me immeasurably, filling in many gaps in my memory but his untimely death only resulted in more questions. Now to learn more my best clue was this viewing glass.

I returned to the magic shop and showed the viewing glass to Eleanise. She directed me to see Minus who lives west of town across the Ironpool Dam on the western shore of the Greenriven lake. Well that's some progress.

I took the arrow to Keebo and asked if he kew anything about it.

Keebo took the arrow and examined it closely. "By the gods, this is an exquisite piece of craftsmanship!" he exclaims, balancing the arrow mid-shaft across his finger. "Look! It is perfectly balanced, and straight as a beam of sunlight!"

Keebo takes a closer look at the arrow. "This arrowhead is made of a high-grade alloy. I don't deal much with exotic metals, but it could be a tungsten blend. It's razor sharp, That's all I know!"

"I don't know anything else about it, and I certainly don't know who made it. If you find out, let me know - I'd love to sell them here in my shop!"

Keebo was a dead end, albeit informative. I would have to follow the trail of the Viewing Glass and along the way hope to learn more of the assassin.

I returned to the center of town and decided to pay Wendy a visit. Wendy lives across from the Inn on the north side of the road. She lives in a duplex but the other home was locked. She seemed a bit out of sorts after having spoken with a disciple named Julian. She rattled on about hearing voices and being chosen or something. Not good. She did however offer me a job. She wants to go stay at her brother's home east of the village but hasn't heard from him for two weeks since her last letter. She wants me to deliver a message, as the postal carrier stopped deliveries because of danger on the roads. Hm, sounds like an opportunity to practice my skills. I accepted and she paid 50 gold up front!

I bid her farewell and went to the chapel between the Inn and Wendy's home. I asked about Julian and the priest informed me that Julian has gone missing and has been behaving strangely. Rather than seeing any truths but their own, he chained Julian to a tree to perform "purifying rites". He was left there for over a week before he disappeared down a nearby dry well.

I told the priest I would find Julian. Then I asked if he had heard of Darus' death. He believes mind and soul that Darus got what he deserved because he was murdered. That's his only basis. Just more evidence of this mans self perceived importance. Priests like this believe they are the ultimate authority and rule by fear. Their arrogance sickens me. They assume the worst of a person or situation and their minds are closed to any arguments not their own.

I asked "Who are you to pass judgement on others?"

He was visibly angered and explained he was "a Priest of Mosan", blah, blah, blah. He then raised and hammered down his staff causing an impressive thunderous crack in the voluminous cathedral. I bet he practices that...

He fumed "How dare you come into this covenant and question my authority!"

To which I replied "I do not follow the dogma of Mosan nor do I recognize your authority, foolish codger!" Then I proceeded to rob him blind!

I admit, I'll give some likelihood that gods communicate with their followers, maybe 1 out of a 100 times, if that, but not to pompous fools such as he. I would help him with his task regardless.

Exiting out the back of the church was the dry well that Julian had vanished down. I lit a torch and followed the passage around to a large cavern... and rats.

The rats proved to be of no difficulty and provided some meat for later. A passage continued west to a closed gate. A small side room has a lever that I pulled, which opened the gate.

Passing through the gate I continued my search for Julian. The corridor turned north to a locked door. It also opened into a small room, the opposite side having a door that appears to have been gnawed through by rats.

I passed through and continued to follow where the passages lead. It opened into another split room bigger than the last. One side has a table and the other a gate that looks like it can be opened by a lever on the other side of the gate.

The south corridor opened to a small room to the west and lead to an antechamber where a lever was used to open a gate into a large room. Along the south wall a corridor contained two powder kegs. I will pick up these later and return them to my home for storage. You never know when you might need one or two... or more.

The west corridor turned south and opened into a very large room with equally spaced pressure plates. I avoided them although they don't seem to be trapped. On the east and west walls are evenly spaced gates, all closed. I pulled the lever and the gates opened releasing rats. One of the rats stepped on a pressure plate as it was moving to attack me. The central gate on the east wall closed. After dispatching the rats, I pulled the lever again to re-open the gate. This is apparently the only way to continue searching the dungeon.

I continued my search, passing through another door and came upon another locked door to the south. To the west is yet another door. I found a moldy corpse. This person has only been here a few weeks. Searching the body I found a cloak and sandals.

The west corridor is long and has equally spaced alcoves on each side. One of the north alcoves is lit by a torch held in a sconce. There is a pressure plate on the floor. I stepped on the plate and a stone wall moved aside revealing another passage leading to a door.

I followed the passage around where it continued north and west. Going west and around a corner I entered a small room where I found Julian, I presume. A tall brazier was placed in the center of the east wall. Next to that was a small table and a bed. The room was disheveled; there was a broken chair and barrel and papers were scattered about the floor. I doused my torch,

I introduced myself and asked if he was Julian. He indicated that he was and prattled on about "The Four Stars". I asked what that was. He replied "They are not to be spoken of." ["Oookaay" I thought]. He began rambling about "the One" and "end of days". So, I asked him about the One. Julian knew a lot of vague concepts about the One that could be attributed to just about any god. More likely just another madman, albeit a powerful one who is manipulating the mind of this poor fellow. He did say the One was omnipotent and he was "going to cleanse the land by bringing the Four Stars together". That's just great. It was time to end this so I told him I was there to bring him back to the Covenant. That evidently was not in his plans, as he spouted about doing the "bidding of the one" and attacked.

I backed up to the corridor, while Julian followed. This would place me in the dark while he remained in the light giving me the advantage. I'm hurt but alive. Julian is Rat food. I retrieved a key off his corpse.

I need to rest and heal and my gear needs repairs. I'll go tell Father Tyrus about Julian and head home to rest. The rest of the dungeon can wait until later. Returning the way I came brought me to the locked door, i had previously passed. The key dropped by Julian unlocked the door. Entering I found another even more disheveled room. This one had a chair and table used for writing. A tall brazier lit the room. Searching the table revealed a Quill and Inkwell and one parchment in particular where Julian described the voices in his head and destroying all who would impede the One. There was an adjacent darkened room where I found a mutilated corpse. Perhaps it is for the best that Julian is dead.

It was dark when I left the dungeon. Father Tyrus was saddened at the news of Julian. Still he rewarded me well. On the way home I would sell what little treasure I found in the dungeon.

I woke to light rainfall, which was quite pleasant. It rains quite frequently in Mistfell. Perhaps that is how it came to be named. Yesterday's little adventure proved very enlightening. I better grasped how to Forage for reagents and seemed more able to endure combat related stresses (+3 Foraging, +3 Endurance). I decided to visit Wendy's brother before continuing my adventures. I'd never be as close as I am now, so off I go. At a crossroads east and south, I was compelled to go south if only to become more familiar with the area surrounding my home. I spotted a man next to a destroyed bridge claiming to be a Wagon Master of Port Edon. He had been pursued by a Taurax scout and blew up the Yoma Narrows bridge to save himself. He bade me deliver this news to the Port Kuudad authorities, to which I agreed.

Returning to the crossroads I continued heading east. After a short distance the trail continued north and east. Several Crimson Dragoneles attacked me but were fairly easily dispatched. So long as I used Finesse to make my attacks. Dragoneles are of many varieties across Eschalon. The Mistfell Crimson Dragoneles are flying insects, large aggressive flying insects. They will have an even larger nest nearby. They attack by means of a stinger at the base of their abdomen which they curl above their body. They don't appear to be a community creature except when the nest is in perceived danger. Instead they appear to be opportunistic creatures that will even attack creatures larger than themselves or even molds where there is no perceived food benefit nor any danger exists. This means if there is more than one nearby they will all come and attack. Hm, not unlike bandits...

Another crossroads but this time there were bandits. I decided to route them, although a little at a time, while resting in between fights. This would also afford me the opportunity to forage for reagents. One of the bandies dropped an Enchanter's hat. This will make it possible for me to learn and cast some elemental spells. This hat already proved its worth. I became overwhelmed by three bandits. I was severely wounded and hadn't even killed one of them, although he was hurt worse than myself. I bravely ran away and they gave chase. When I gained sufficient distance I learned the "Sparkling Wonder" spell that I had previously found. I used this to turn away the two bandits who had not been wounded and finished off the remaining bandit. It was time to rest again. I located their camp and took from them all they had acquired, especially their lives.

I found Wendy's Brother in his home... dead. He had her original letter to him on his corpse. I searched his house and found an odd poem mounted on the wall. On the floor was enscribed a portal (an encircled five pointed star). The poem read:

Harder than Copper
and Redder in hue.
The wonders of bronze
are known but to few.

No idea what that means.

I returned to town and sold my accumulated treasure. I had to break the bad news to Wendy. She took it pretty hard. She told me they were twins. Ruel, her brother had only wanted to publish his research into the Orakur. She said he kept his research hidden in a secret room but she had never figured out how to enter the room. I offered to help but she declined. She also revealed she is hearing voices, like Julian was.

It was a difficult experience. However, my endurance is continuing to climb and my thoughts have also been swimming with ideas about how I might better trade the goods I have been acquiring (+3 endurance, +3 Mercantile). I can't wait to put them to use.

I returned to dungeon to look for more treasure. I found more rats and a chamber where excavation was underway. A powder keg had already been placed near a wall and I fired a few arrows into it until it exploded (unstable stuff that). The wall broke revealing a room unlike any other in this dungeon yet there was no other way in... There was a chest containing 122 gold, strange but not bad.

The path back lead through a trapped room; I just avoided the traps. The passage continued east and around to the south where there were more rats and the lever that opened the gate to the split room. I killed the rats and followed the corridors around to the locked room near the entrance gate of the dungeon.

Julian's key also opened this door, which lead to a small room sparsely appointed. On the north wall a corridor lead to a large supply room filled with sealed barrels and one chest, which was surrounded by barrels.

I placed a powder keg near the barrels blocking the chest, backed away and fired a few arrows into it. A path to the chest opened up. Little of value was found in the now broken barrels; were some contents destroyed? The chest is locked so I just left it. This dungeon was done and I thought it was time to visit the Constable.

Judging by the amount of land on his estate and the size of his home, skimming funds from Eastwillow must be profitable. The front door was locked, so how is anyone supposed to see him should the need arise? I went around to the back door, entered and confronted him. He was congenial enough. I informed him that I had come for the ornamental sword, that Brelinda had not paid for it and Keebo wanted it returned. Commendably, he requested both parties come to him that he may render a judgement. Since that was not going to happen I confronted him with the town ledger and asked if he would rather explain to the Eastwillow townspeople why the coffers were empty. Shocked, he agreed to hand over the sword. However, I wasn't done. I robbed him blind, which really wasn't that much. It was a small price to pay for his deceit.

I returned to Keebo and gave him the ornamental sword. Keebo gave me 100 gold, nice!

Now to see Minus. I left Eastwillow going west. A little north and west was the Ironpool Dam. There were a couple of slimy black molds barring the dam but they proved easy to defeat. There were a couple more near the lake's edge. The primary attack of a Black mold is a close range ejection of a mild acid. While they appear to sense their intended prey from a great distance, presumably through ground vibrations, which seems to include that of a heart beat, they are quite slow and easily avoided. It is interesting to note that they will approach to within melee range when forced to navigate around obstacles like trees.

Minus has a lake side home that is larger and nicer than mine; not that I'm complaining. My home is quite comfortable. Minus is very old and was genuinely happy to have a visitor. He asked what had brought me way out here. I showed him the Viewing Glass and asked if he knew anything about it. Minus examined the etchings along the gold rim and on the glass itself.

He explained, "Look here, the markings on the rim are glyphs, belonging to an unspoken language. There are no sounds for these symbols; this language exists only in written form. Roughly translated they say 'Paladin of Sunder, Guardian of Unity' though I am not sure what that means. And here, etched on the glass, is the symbol of a guild or society. I am not familiar with what organization if represents."

I asked, "So what is this Viewing Glass used for?"

Minus replied, "Secret guilds often use magick scrying glasses such as this to decode their confidential information. It may uncover hidden text, or decrypt a secret language, or even reveal the location of a hidden door. The true functionality of this glass we may never know since many of these guilds just fade away over the centuries, their secrets lost forever with the passing of their members."

Minus returns the Viewing Glass and continues: "If you really must know the full history of this item, there is only one person who can help you. Saint Gilhelm of Lockston Hall Academia, within the city of Port Kuudad. He is the most respected historian and cataloger of antiquities in all of Eschalon. He rarely speaks to anyone, but he knows me and he will speak to you if you give him my name."

I thanked him and said I would go see Saint Gilhelm. Minus said he would send word ahead and cautioned me that even the main roads have become dangerous.

While I was here I asked Minus about Greenriven Lake. He was only too pleased to discuss the history of the lake. The Yoma River used to be mined for gold by by his great grandad before the dam was built. And in the center of the valley was Westwillow, which is the center of the lake now. When it was decided to build the dam, most of the townsfolk moved downstream and established Eastwillow. Most townsfolk, some refused to leave. Westwillow was eventually swallowed by the lake. None of those who stayed ever came to the surface. "Local legend says that they all drowned, but their anger and stubbornness blinds them from the fact that they passed away so long ago. They may yet linger in this world, deep beneath the surface of Greenriven." Then for more ghost stories he directed me to Brudo, the Dam's caretaker. Although Brudo won't utter a word unless I utter a Dwarvish blessing first: "Mahul-Zarim-Gamil".

I took my leave of Minus. I decided to do a little exploring north of Minus' home, where I found a bunch of black molds guarding a chest. Now what would they want with a chest? I'll never know because they're all fertilizer now. Hm, they were guarding some boots and axes of some kind. Looks like a recipe for something and a book. This stuff must be worth something because I can't properly identify any of it. And I'm too proud and frugal to pay anyone. If only there some form of magick or magical device that would make it possible for me to identify things. Oh well, I'll look for something in Everdale. For now, I think I'll just rest a little, gather some reagents and go visit Brudo at the dam.

I made it to the dam but a small pack of Dragoneles tried to make my life miserable. I'm hurt and my gear is in bad shape. I'll rest for awhile then drop in on Brudo.

I entered the dam and lit a torch. It is dark and damp in there. Around a corner a passage lead to a switch room where I found Brudo. Brudo's beard was white as snow, denoting some age but how long do dwarves live anyway? I didn't ask.

We talked about the dam and it was obvious Brudo was proud of the dwarvish craftsmanship. The dam was assembled by the Guild of Rockmasons, "the most revered engineers in all of Eschalon". It was built to control the spring flood waters in the Yoma valley. The dam is about 130 years old and Brudo maintains the dam from leaks. He even asked and was granted to be the permanent caretaker.

I then spoke the Dwarvish blessing "Mahul-Zarim-Gamil".

To which he replied, "Oh! You've recited the blessing of the Dwarven king Gamil! What is it that you wish to speak of that requires such a sacred benison?"

I answered, "I've heard tales of the city of Westwillow. What do you know of it?" This made Brudo nervous causing him to look to the left and right, checking the shadows carefully.

He said, "Look here my friend, there are some things that I do not speak of, even with the protection of king Gamil. Now I don't know what you've heard but I can assure you most of the legends are just foolish nonsense. Above all we should respect the dead by not mentioning them."

I asked, "So you are confirming that there were people who died in Westwillow?" Brudo quickly reached out and covered my mouth with his filthy mitt.

"Quite down!" he said. "These stone walls have memories. They know more than you or me. I will speak no more of this. However, if you still must have your curiosity sated, I will open the gate to the lower level. There is an old tunnel there, a tunnel I do not travel down. If you wish to explore it, you do so by your own choice. I do not want to know what you find."

Brudo walked over to one of the nearby levers. The levers required clever pulling and twisting just to allow them to move. He unlocked one and pulled it; the sound of a metal gate grinding open could be heard somewhere in the darkness.

"Eh, one more thing" Brudo said, "I've lost the key that opens the door to the deeper section of the dam. You'll need to find it or be real good at picking locks to get through. I doubt you'll be able to smash through it."

I thanked Brudo and left. While I'm excited about the prospect of the treasure I'll find and that there's gotta be a better sword down there, I decided to return later when I could better identify anything I might find. Just talking with Brudo was certainly an experience. My endurance continues to climb as does my insight of bartering (+2 END, +2 MER). I also feel I'm getting a little stronger (+1 Strength).

Back on the surface I headed to town for repairs. There were two more molds on the dam that were quickly dispatched. After paying for repairs I headed to Everdale, west out of town and north along the road. Better to be a live adventurer than a corpse and become treasure for another.