Can't play on notebook computer...screen won't resize approl

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
ZoeyJeanne
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Can't play on notebook computer...screen won't resize approl

Post by ZoeyJeanne »

I loaded the game onto my Gateway Netbook, which has a screen size that is different proportionately from most computers. Does anyone know if I can resize the game to play on this screen? I've tried changing the screen resolution, but that isn't working. I'd love to be able to play the game without being locked to my desktop.

Thanks.
- If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.[/b]
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Can't play on notebook computer...screen won't resize ap

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Eschalon Book II has a fixed resolution of 1024 x 768. That is the minimum screen size you need to have to play the game properly. If either of the dimensions of your screen's maximum resolution are less than that, then you can't play Book II on that machine. If your resolution is at least that large, but is not in those proportions (wide screen setup), then the Book II user's manual tells you what you need to set on your machine to play it properly (though how to do that for your specific machine you'll need to check with your computer's manuals).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

It might be helpful to post on the Support forum for your particular OS - just sayin'
ZoeyJeanne
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by ZoeyJeanne »

Gotcha. Thanks to both of you. Onward....
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

Even although book II has a 1024x786 resolution, there are few reasons that would need to prevent the game to run on almost any other resolutions. Scalers were invented long ago, and even if BW would not want to add them to eschalon, modern graphics drivers can easily do things like this.

In fact, I recently played book2 on a netbook running linux in 1024x600. To do this full screen this involves some hacking unfortunately. It would not be necessary if a 2 line change to the code is made (1). If BW states he will not/cannot do so I can probably make a library available (if i got time) that will catch the xrandr calls to pretend a 1024x768 resolution that is scaled up from 1024x600.

(1) I am not sure this is BWs fault at all, it may be that Blitzmax does not expose the full xrandr api.
ZoeyJeanne
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by ZoeyJeanne »

Thanks everybody. I'll mess around with it over the weekend and let you all know how it comes out. If I'm not able to fix it, maybe it's something that can be addressed in Book III . . . cause there will be a Book III, right?

-If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

What I had to do was go into the nVidia control panel (GeForce GT 240M) and tell it to keep the application's aspect ratio. So it comes up in the proper aspect ratio in fullscreen.
ZoeyJeanne
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by ZoeyJeanne »

I boogered aroung with it but never got it to work. I reset my screen size to 1024 x 786, but I still had to scroll down to see the bottom of the screen. Oh, well. I probably spend too much time playing this game.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Post by Tyranthraxus »

ZoeyJeanne wrote:I boogered aroung with it but never got it to work. I reset my screen size to 1024 x 786, but I still had to scroll down to see the bottom of the screen. Oh, well. I probably spend too much time playing this game.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
Have you got the Windoze "Task Bar" set to "always on top"? That would eat away the bottom part of the screen.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Tyranthraxus wrote: Have you got the Windoze "Task Bar" set to "always on top"? That would eat away the bottom part of the screen.
Unfortunately that won't matter... with a native resolution of 1024x600, there's over (if you count the top window border) 168 pixels of game screen being cut off.

One of the most requested features was an increased resolution... this was before the netbook craze took off with their "plenty enough" resolutions. *sigh* Only the newer models with the upgraded screens are really any good for games... and most of them don't have the horsepower.
Drixx wrote:What I had to do was go into the nVidia control panel (GeForce GT 240M) and tell it to keep the application's aspect ratio. So it comes up in the proper aspect ratio in fullscreen.
There's a good chance that the Intel integrated graphics doesn't have that option on a netbook.
ZoeyJeanne
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by ZoeyJeanne »

I was able to find Aspect Ratio Options under Graphics Properties and then select "Maintain Aspect Ratio" but, alas, that didn't fix the problem. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.