Glitch or really cheap tungstun long sword?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
s4br3
Apprentice

Glitch or really cheap tungstun long sword?

Post by s4br3 »

I "acquired" a tungsten long sword from Jawbreaker the Blacksmith, he won't be needing it any more :wink: , and it seems to be VERY under-valued. Is this a glitch, or is this supposed to worth less than my steel long sword which is 3 levels down in durability? Is it also supposed to be the same base damage level? What gives??? :?
Attachments
eb2_tungsten_long_sword.png
eb2_tungsten_long_sword.png (69.31 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
eb2_steel_long_sword.png
eb2_steel_long_sword.png (55.88 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer.
s4br3
Apprentice

Re: Glitch or really cheap tungstun long sword?

Post by s4br3 »

Oops! I know, I spelled tungten wrong in the topic. :-/
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Looks like a glitch! We've had a couple reported cases of odd-valued items- not sure what causes it.

It seems to be a very rare glitch.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

Thanks for the heads up BW. I'm running Fedora 12 (linux) with all the latest updates. FYI

I have noticed a couple other items with this problem too. Oh well. :?

Anyone know what the details on the tungsten long sword are? I could, at least, "adjust" things with a hex editor. :wink:

Thanks!
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

Guess what? I'm starting to believe it's not so "rare"! :shock:

Perhaps it's a glitch in the "item condition" part of the code? Neither the tungsten or the adamantium long swords were at "perfect" levels.

Anyone know what the real stats for an Adamantium Long Sword are???

My hex editor is warmed up and ready! :-) Again. :(
Attachments
eb2_adamantium_long_sword.png
eb2_adamantium_long_sword.png (49.09 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Flandarg
Initiate

Post by Flandarg »

Glitches are possible the other direction, too. I about fell over when I acquired an ordinary pair of hide boots valued at 400, when the same item was on sale at the local smithy for 150 or so. Since I hadn't actually purchased same, I didn't worry about the difference, but wondered if there was something special about them that didn't show in the specs.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I believe the issue is with fixed item types that scale level/quality depending on the player's level when they find them. Those items appear to have a much lower value and numbers than their counterparts in vendors' stock. For instance, there's always a pair of light armor boots in the casket by the ruined church filled with outlanders north of Greenriven Lake. Because I basically wandered backwards through that area of the game, I didn't find that spot until after I'd already found Raven's Gate and Durnore the first time I played. In the box was a nice pair of Ancient Dragon Skin Boots--the best type of light armor in the game according to Zelbin's guide. However, they had half the value (240 vs 480) of standard Studded Leather Boots and the armor rating of 6 was lower than standard Dragon Skin's 7 for the boots.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I don't know. It makes sense to me that the lighter of the two swords would be more expensive. The fact that it is lightweight would seem to make it more valuable. I've seen this consistently throughout the game, so far.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

Thanks Kreador Freeaxe, I think your are correct. I have done things a little "out of order" than I usually do this time through (I restarted a few times. Still haven't finished yet). I figured, maybe, if I waited a bit longer to run through Ironpool Dam, that Westwillow would be fixed for linux users by that time. I'll have to wait for 1.04 for that, which is OK.

For the record, I have never seen any item that is far more expensive than it should be. :)

Thanks for the comments!

P.S: Are the other stats, base damage,etc., correct? I'm not overly concerned with the value. I'll be keeping the sword anyway. :mrgreen: