Book II Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Book II Character / Map Editor

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The editor is used on the save files, not the config file.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

Post by Venezia Istanbul »

So, has anyone managed to get this program to work on a Mac?
I've tried all day yesterday, but due to my technological impairment I had little to no results.

Is there a way to edit a savegame anyway, in an easier way maybe, without resorting to downloading two other programs? (one of the which would end up costing me more than the game itself)

I really really really don't want to restart.
Thank you!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I did get it working on a Mac without too much trouble, but then I'm a UNIX geek. Now I'm working on bundling it as a real OS X app - just double-click and go. I ran into some complications, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. Stay tuned.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:I did get it working on a Mac without too much trouble, but then I'm a UNIX geek. Now I'm working on bundling it as a real OS X app - just double-click and go. I ran into some complications, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. Stay tuned.
Awesome news, SS. If you get that to work, Mac users such as myself will be forever in your debt. :)

(P.S. If you haven't already, you might also want to take a look under the hood of Goblin Hacker, the Mac-specific Book I character editor that someone else came up with... Maybe it'll give you some ideas?...)
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

SpottedShroom wrote:I did get it working on a Mac without too much trouble, but then I'm a UNIX geek. Now I'm working on bundling it as a real OS X app - just double-click and go. I ran into some complications, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. Stay tuned.
Yes!
Thank you!
Can I help with something?
T I S I F O N E
UOMINI DI FERRO SU NAVI DI LEGNO
SCONFISSERO UOMINI DI LEGNO SU NAVI DI FERRO
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yes, if you'd like to rewrite install_name_tool so that it's capable of rewriting an executable's entire Mach O header so that I can relocate libraries inside a .app bundle, that would be wonderful ;)

Getting the editor to run is a matter of installing a few Python libraries, which are mostly a challenge for non-UNIX types. Making a stand-alone OS X app involves relocating all of the necessary libraries, and their dependencies, and THEIR dependencies, etc. into the .app directory itself. There are programs that do this, like py2app, but they run into a weird limitation. Each OS X binary contains absolute references to the location of its dependencies. To make it work in a .app bundle, those have to be rewritten to be relative to the .app directory itself. There are tools like install_name_tool that let you do that, but the new path has to be the same size or smaller than the old one. So if you have pygtk installed in /opt/gtk, there's not enough room to replace that with "@executable_path" which is what's called for.

Confused yet? I know I am. Anyway, I'm trying to work around the problem by compiling pygtk and all its dependencies with a special flag that makes the linker leave extra space in the Mach O header If that doesn't work, the backup plan may be to build apps that don't contain the pygtk module and direct people to install that separately instead. It turns out that's pretty easy to do even for non-techincal people - see http://macpkg.sourceforge.net/
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Progress! I now have both character editors running as (I think) stand-alone apps. Unfortunately, the map editors are NOT working, and I presume that's what everybody really wants anyway. I'm having some weird problem where the app loads the system libraries instead of its local ones, which is leading to a crash.

Does anyone want to test the character editors or are you going to hold out for the map editors?
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

I was thinking more of a coffee, or put on some music, haha!
I will test the character editor if you want to, in the map one I'm really not interested yet.
T I S I F O N E
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:Does anyone want to test the character editors or are you going to hold out for the map editors?
So, is the "character editor" basically akin to a Book II version of Goblin Hacker?...

(I'd volunteer to test, but this isn't the time of year for me to be able to devote a lot of time to something like this - get back to me in late-May, and I can spend as much time on stuff like this as you want!... :wink: )

P.S. I think your "backup plan", to put together a map-editor installer that doesn't contain the pygtk module (and then directing people to install that separately) is a perfectly acceptable solution, if you can't figure out a way to install the whole thing all at-once.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

IJBall wrote:So, is the "character editor" basically akin to a Book II version of Goblin Hacker?...
There is also a Book I version of the savefile editor. And correct me if I'm mistaken, Goblin Hacker can only edit character files?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Lord_P wrote:
IJBall wrote:So, is the "character editor" basically akin to a Book II version of Goblin Hacker?...
There is also a Book I version of the savefile editor. And correct me if I'm mistaken, Goblin Hacker can only edit character files?
Yep - Goblin Hacker was just a character editor for Book I. So it sounds like what [edit: SpottedShroom has] been able to achieve, so far, is a Book I/II version of something akin to Goblin Hacker.
Last edited by IJBall on April 13th, 2013, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

IJBall wrote:
Lord_P wrote:
Yep - Goblin Hacker was just a character editor for Book I. So it sounds like what you've been able to achieve, so far, is a Book I/II version of something akin to Goblin Hacker.
Which, in all honesty, was pretty much all you needed to correct misplaced points and such.
T I S I F O N E
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

But the difference is that xolotl's editor also comes with a map editor (huzzah!). I don't know about the difference in functionality between the character editor and Goblin Hacker.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Lord_P wrote:But the difference is that xolotl's editor also comes with a map editor (huzzah!). I don't know about the difference in functionality between the character editor and Goblin Hacker.
Correct. But, so far, SpottedShroom has only been able to easily assemble an installer for the character editor portion of xolotl's editor for the Mac. The installer for the map editor portion of xolotl's editor has been more difficult to achieve...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Okay, I think I finally have fully functioning stand-alone OS X app builds of all four utilities. Please grab a copy and try them out! Warning - the download is 76 megabytes, and unpacked they're almost 200.

Get it here.