Book II Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Book II Character / Map Editor

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

SpottedShroom wrote:Okay, I think I finally have fully functioning stand-alone OS X app builds of all four utilities. Please grab a copy and try them out! Warning - the download is 76 megabytes, and unpacked they're almost 200.

Get it here.
I probably won't actually do much with them, but I'll give them a go to see if it installs without completely wiping out my machine. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

Post by Venezia Istanbul »

SpottedShroom wrote:Okay, I think I finally have fully functioning stand-alone OS X app builds of all four utilities. Please grab a copy and try them out! Warning - the download is 76 megabytes, and unpacked they're almost 200.

Get it here.

It doesn't work for me, when I open the app it crashes. ((
T I S I F O N E
UOMINI DI FERRO SU NAVI DI LEGNO
SCONFISSERO UOMINI DI LEGNO SU NAVI DI FERRO
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

I tried them out.
Mac OS/X 10.8.3 MacBook Pro late 2011

apps load ok and both the Character editors both seem to work ok.
The Map editors don't work however.

The Book I tools look for 'data.pak' which isn't on my machine - did a find from / to verify.

The Book II tools look for 'datapak' which again isn't on my machine.

I'm not sure where these files are supposed to be on other OS'es.

Nice job on the packaging! A couple of Icons and it looks good to go.

regards,
Aga.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Venezia Istanbul wrote: It doesn't work for me, when I open the app it crashes. ((
What version of Mac OS are you running? Could you also run "uname -a" from the Terminal app and post the output?

Finally, to see why the app crashes, can you run it from inside Terminal? If you have the apps on your desktop, for example, and you want to run the Book I character editor, you would run these commands in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Desktop
./eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/MacOS/eschalon_b1_char
Then please post the output that appears in the Terminal window. Thanks for testing!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Agamemnon wrote: The Map editors don't work however.

The Book I tools look for 'data.pak' which isn't on my machine - did a find from / to verify.

The Book II tools look for 'datapak' which again isn't on my machine.

I'm not sure where these files are supposed to be on other OS'es.
To be clear, you do have the games installed on your computer, correct? I think you may be mistaken about data.pak - there is no file called that in the Book I distribution, and I don't see any references to it in the editor's code. There is a directory called "data", though, that should be in the same folder as the Book I app itself. For Book II, the datapak file should again be in the same folder as the game app.
Nice job on the packaging! A couple of Icons and it looks good to go.
Thanks! It's still not as good as the Windows installer, but it's better than nothing. I would like to add icons, but I don't know where to get them. There aren't any included with the editor program, and I can't use the official Eschalon icons without permission.
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

Agamemnon wrote: The Book I tools look for 'data.pak' which isn't on my machine - did a find from / to verify.
My Bad :( The Book 1 tools look for gfx.pak, not data.pak.
The B1 Map editor won't start without it. No crash, a clean exit after it says it can't find the file.

I know what the gfx library is. I've been exposed to gfx# myself in Mono. but I don't see a gfk.pak in the Eschalon B1 install package. Or with the save game sots. or on the machine.

BTW, for others: Book1 stores the save games by default in the '<user>/Documents/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games' folder.
Agamemnon wrote: The Book II tools look for 'datapak' which again isn't on my machine.
SpottedShroom wrote: To be clear, you do have the games installed on your computer, correct?

<snip>

For Book II, the datapak file should again be in the same folder as the game app.
Yes, games on the same machine - I only have the one computer, my lovely Macbook, my precious. I work on PCs, I don't let them in the house though.

In reference to 'datapak' - its not with the app on Mac. As you know the game app and data is inside the .app package. No datapak to be seen there, or the same location as the .app. Is this file created at install time or at runtime?

In Book 2 the default game save data is located in '<user>/Library/Application Support/Basilisk Games/Book 2 Saved Games' /slot1 etc.
No datapak hanging around in that hierarchy either.
SpottedShroom wrote:
Agamemnon wrote: Nice job on the packaging! A couple of Icons and it looks good to go.
Thanks! It's still not as good as the Windows installer, but it's better than nothing. I would like to add icons, but I don't know where to get them. There aren't any included with the editor program, and I can't use the official Eschalon icons without permission.
All that's really needed after Icons is an 'Applications' link that you can copy to. Its normal practice on Mac to drag your new App to the Applications folder to install.

all the best.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Agamemnon wrote: In reference to 'datapak' - its not with the app on Mac. As you know the game app and data is inside the .app package. No datapak to be seen there, or the same location as the .app. Is this file created at install time or at runtime?

In Book 2 the default game save data is located in '<user>/Library/Application Support/Basilisk Games/Book 2 Saved Games' /slot1 etc.
No datapak hanging around in that hierarchy either.
At least in the versions I have (Book I demo 1.06 and Book II 1.05 beta 2), the files you're looking for are in the same directory as the app.
Book I folder
Book I folder
book1.png (22.47 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
Book II folder
Book II folder
book2.png (23.79 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:At least in the versions I have (Book I demo 1.06 and Book II 1.05 beta 2), the files you're looking for are in the same directory as the app.
gfx.pak is definitely in the main Book I directory on my Mac (for reference I have the "full", not demo, version of Book I, v1.06).

And datapak is in my main Book II folder (v1.05).

But I'm running the (relatively) old Mac OS 10.6.8 - could this be the Mac 10.7/10.8 issue that's been referenced on these boards elsewhere?...

FTR, I haven't tried your install yet, SS (though I have downloaded it)... I'm just trying to get through the end of my semester - then I'm hoping to give it a go.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: But I'm running the (relatively) old Mac OS 10.6.8 - could this be the Mac 10.7/10.8 issue that's been referenced on these boards elsewhere?...

FTR, I haven't tried your install yet, SS (though I have downloaded it)... I'm just trying to get through the end of my semester - then I'm hoping to give it a go.
I suspect my packaged apps won't run on your version of Mac OS, but I'd be interested to see if they do and any errors you get (see my advice about running through the Terminal, above). If I had access to an older install of Mac OS X I could probably produce a more compatible build.
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

Post by Venezia Istanbul »

Results in Terminal:
SpottedShroom wrote: What version of Mac OS are you running? Could you also run "uname -a" from the Terminal app and post the output?

Darwin Mac-mini-di-Cangrande.local 12.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.3.0: Sun Jan  6 22:37:10 PST 2013; root:xnu-2050.22.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Finally, to see why the app crashes, can you run it from inside Terminal? If you have the apps on your desktop, for example, and you want to run the Book I character editor, you would run these commands in Terminal:

cd ~/Desktop
./eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/MacOS/eschalon_b1_char
Then please post the output that appears in the Terminal window. Thanks for testing!

/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gulong g_signal_connect_data(gpointer, const gchar *, GCallback, gpointer, GClosureNotify, GConnectFlags): assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GtkSettings *gtk_settings_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_get(gpointer, const gchar *, ...): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkDisplay *gdk_screen_get_display(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gpointer g_object_ref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: PangoContext *gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_font_description(PangoContext *, const PangoFontDescription *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_base_dir(PangoContext *, PangoDirection): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_language(PangoContext *, PangoLanguage *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: PangoLayout *pango_layout_new(PangoContext *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_attributes(PangoLayout *, PangoAttrList *): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_text(PangoLayout *, const char *, int): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: int pango_layout_get_unknown_glyphs_count(PangoLayout *): assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_unref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: void gtk_window_set_screen(GtkWindow *, GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkKeymap *gdk_keymap_get_for_display(GdkDisplay *): assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault: 11

Also, I am running the game through Steam, it might have something to do with this?
T I S I F O N E
UOMINI DI FERRO SU NAVI DI LEGNO
SCONFISSERO UOMINI DI LEGNO SU NAVI DI FERRO
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Venezia Istanbul wrote:

/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gulong g_signal_connect_data(gpointer, const gchar *, GCallback, gpointer, GClosureNotify, GConnectFlags): assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GtkSettings *gtk_settings_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_get(gpointer, const gchar *, ...): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkDisplay *gdk_screen_get_display(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gpointer g_object_ref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: PangoContext *gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_font_description(PangoContext *, const PangoFontDescription *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_base_dir(PangoContext *, PangoDirection): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_language(PangoContext *, PangoLanguage *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: PangoLayout *pango_layout_new(PangoContext *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_attributes(PangoLayout *, PangoAttrList *): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_text(PangoLayout *, const char *, int): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: int pango_layout_get_unknown_glyphs_count(PangoLayout *): assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_unref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: void gtk_window_set_screen(GtkWindow *, GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkKeymap *gdk_keymap_get_for_display(GdkDisplay *): assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault: 11
Ah! You don't have X11 installed. Go get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

thread: map editor on Mac

Hi SS, others,

Hmm, interesting. I purchased both Book 1 and Book 2 fron the Mac App Store. Both came as a packaged .app file. No additional files in the game directory. I even had to go inside the .app to get the players manual.

When I look at the 'Contents' of Book 2 .app I do see a layout similar to what you have but not the same. See screen shots.

I'm running Book 1 - 1.06.2 [MacAppStore]
and Book 2 - 1.05.1 [MacAppStore]
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 18.35.56.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 18.35.56.png (112.39 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 18.37.50.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 18.37.50.png (113.48 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Interesting. Can you post a screenshot of the contents of your Book I app? I'll work on a patch to let the editors work with that format.
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

Hi SShroom,

here's the contents of the Book 1 .app
I've highlighted the most obvious contents. If you need more info like a full file list etc, I can send it to you by PM.
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 21.19.57.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 21.19.57.png (127.77 KiB) Viewed 9679 times
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Agamemnon wrote: here's the contents of the Book 1 .app
I've highlighted the most obvious contents. If you need more info like a full file list etc, I can send it to you by PM.
I think that should be enough. All I really needed was the name of the folder with the unpacked graphics in it. So here's a patched version of the editors that should work whether your game version has packed or unpacked resources. You will need to direct it to the Contents/Files directory under the .app bundle so it can find what it needs.

http://dx4.org/~ekenda2/eschalon-editor.dmg