Book II Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Agamemnon
Initiate

Re: Book II Character / Map Editor

Post by Agamemnon »

I'll try out the new version on my default Mac install.
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

Hi SShroom,
ok, the new versions work great with both book 1 and book 2 maps.

For reference my install is:

15" MacBook Pro (late 2011) running OS/X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion)

X11 libraries are *not* installed by default on Mountain Lion so I'm using the recommended XQuartz as detailed here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

One very minor quibble is that when selecting the pak graphics location inside the .app I initially selected the 'packedgraphics' or 'data' directory in the file selector instead of the enclosing directory as required. Its kinda intuitive to select the directory thats named rather then the enclosing dir, but hey ho, it works anyway.

Now I can start to play.
BTW, is there any docs around for the engine interactions with the maps? e.g. how to assign specific sounds to specific floor tile types etc.?

great and quick work on your part getting this turned around so fast. Thanks!
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

Post by Venezia Istanbul »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Ah! You don't have X11 installed. Go get it here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac
Thank you!
So, I downloaded and installed X11, but now I get this:
(I feel kinda silly being this technologically impaired, but hey think of it this way: what if someone else was as unable as I am? haha)

Code: Select all

/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gulong g_signal_connect_data(gpointer, const gchar *, GCallback, gpointer, GClosureNotify, GConnectFlags): assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GtkSettings *gtk_settings_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_get(gpointer, const gchar *, ...): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkDisplay *gdk_screen_get_display(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: gpointer g_object_ref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: PangoContext *gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen(GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_font_description(PangoContext *, const PangoFontDescription *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_base_dir(PangoContext *, PangoDirection): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_context_set_language(PangoContext *, PangoLanguage *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: PangoLayout *pango_layout_new(PangoContext *): assertion `context != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_attributes(PangoLayout *, PangoAttrList *): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: void pango_layout_set_text(PangoLayout *, const char *, int): assertion `layout != NULL' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: PangoWarning: int pango_layout_get_unknown_glyphs_count(PangoLayout *): assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: Warning: void g_object_unref(gpointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: void gtk_window_set_screen(GtkWindow *, GdkScreen *): assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/Users/IHS/Desktop/eschalon_b1_char.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages/eschalon/maingui.py:77: GtkWarning: GdkKeymap *gdk_keymap_get_for_display(GdkDisplay *): assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault: 11
T I S I F O N E
UOMINI DI FERRO SU NAVI DI LEGNO
SCONFISSERO UOMINI DI LEGNO SU NAVI DI FERRO
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

Hi Vezinea,

This can be caused, as mentioned by others, by a missing or bad install of X11. From a terminal window please check that your DISPLAY env var is set

$ echo $DISPLAY

this should give something like:

/tmp/launch-opJf7Q/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

You will get your errors with no DISPLAY or if the display is owned by another user and you are running it as root.

what output do you get in the terminal window when you launch the tool as follows:

$ open eschlon_b1_char.app

instead of running it from directly inside the .app as described earlier.

Don't post the error trace again if its similar.

To test that your X11 install is ok, try the following:
- make sure X11 is *not* running - quit it if you need to
- from a terminal window start a specific xterm
$ xterm

X11 should start first - you'll see the big X icon in the dock and an X11 menu on top
then an xterm window should appear.

If this works X11 is working and I can't help you any further :(

If we can't help you here its most likely a bad version of X11. Did you install the correct version of X11 for your version of OS/X? there are big differences from 10.5 to 10.8. Go to 'About my Mac' under the apple icon on top menu to find out exactly which version of OS/X you are running. it should be 10.something.something.

regards,
Aga
Venezia Istanbul
Initiate

Post by Venezia Istanbul »

Editing.
I logged out and back in and now it works.
Thank you Agamemnon, thank you SS, I'll brb. ))

Going to test this, I'll give you feedback later!
T I S I F O N E
UOMINI DI FERRO SU NAVI DI LEGNO
SCONFISSERO UOMINI DI LEGNO SU NAVI DI FERRO
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I have a question on my mind. Why is it that the Book I map files are easily accessible while the Book II map files are hidden?
In Book I, the resources are just sitting around the game directory as normal files. In Book II, they're hidden in a password-protected zip file, presumably to make it more difficult for people to rip off the content. The Book II map editor has the ability to read that file to display in-game graphics, but isn't set up to write into it, which would be necessary to edit global map files.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

One more improvement - I wrote a simple app launcher that you can use to start all of the tools. That way, I can package everything as a single .app file which significantly reduces the size of the distribution (18 versus 70+ megs). Have a try:

http://dx4.org/~ekenda2/eschalon-utils.dmg
Agamemnon
Initiate

Post by Agamemnon »

Hi SS,
Funny, I was just on-line when I spotted your post. I'll give it a spin for you. It'll be a couple of days though for feedback, work schedule is pretty hectic these days as well as Assassins Creed. I miss the Eschalon world though.

Aga.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Probably everyone's already noticed on the Book III modding forum, but there's a new version of the editor out, version 1.0.0. This release mostly just adds Book III support, but there's a few more minor tweaks and bugfixes which impact Book II, so it's probably a good update to get anyway, if you're playing around with Book II files. Enjoy!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Book II Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Post by xolotl »

Probably anyone who cares has already seen this in the Book III thread, but we've released v1.0.1 of the editor today. Users on OSX who had trouble using the map editor because it couldn't find the datapak would be interested in this one. The other major bugfix is various improvements to the editor's handling of "Big Graphics." Enjoy!