Disarming traps without Skulduggery

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Disarming traps without Skulduggery

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

So, I've been testing out various new character builds to see what kind of melee character I want to try. On one of them (with a good perception), I noticed that after spotting the trap on the door near the Acolyte in the well, I was able to disarm the trap (34% chance). This is interesting, given that the character does not have Skulduggery skill or the Trapster's bracers.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Disarming traps without Skulduggery

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:So, I've been testing out various new character builds to see what kind of melee character I want to try. On one of them (with a good perception), I noticed that after spotting the trap on the door near the Acolyte in the well, I was able to disarm the trap (34% chance). This is interesting, given that the character does not have Skulduggery skill or the Trapster's bracers.
Concentration supports Skullduggery, in the same way that Dexterity supports Pick Locks and Move Silently.

So if you have a character with a decent score in CON, they may have a fair chance to disarm (at least simple) traps.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

IJBall wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:So, I've been testing out various new character builds to see what kind of melee character I want to try. On one of them (with a good perception), I noticed that after spotting the trap on the door near the Acolyte in the well, I was able to disarm the trap (34% chance). This is interesting, given that the character does not have Skulduggery skill or the Trapster's bracers.
Concentration supports Skullduggery, in the same way that Dexterity supports Pick Locks and Move Silently.

So if you have a character with a decent score in CON, they may have a fair chance to disarm (at least simple) traps.
Yes, but you can't pick a lock without at least one level of the skill. My character could disarm a trap without any levels in that skill.
---

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
IJBall wrote:

Yes, but you can't pick a lock without at least one level of the skill. My character could disarm a trap without any levels in that skill.
Because there is never a locked door without a key on the main quest path, we don't allow locking picking without the skill.

However, there are traps impeding your way. And while lockpicking is a skill that requires significant knowledge to be good at, disarming a trap may be as simple as guessing "should I cut the red wire or the blue wire?".

This is a design decision that goes back to Book 1 development- the testers felt that even with no skill at all, they wanted their characters to be allowed to attempt to disarm a trap. However with lock picking, unskilled players just broke so many lockpicks that it seemed best to say you absolutely need the skill to be able to even try that action.

Another real-world example: if you've never seen a bear trap but came across a set trap in the woods, you could probably figure out quickly how to "disarm" it by tossing a large stick onto the trigger plate. However, if further along in the woods you found a locked woodshed and a professional lockpick set, you *probably* would not know enough without basic "level 1" instructions on how to utilize the picks to release the lock.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Okay. Thanks. Good to know, though I think there's one door in Hammerlorne Mine with no key on the way to the Crux.
---

Sade
Initiate

Post by Sade »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I think there's one door in Hammerlorne Mine with no key on the way to the Crux.
That's right.

On the second level of Hammerlorne Mine, there is one door with a level 1 lock in the Bonebiter room which you have to pass to continue.

Of course, one could easily bash it down without the Pick Locks skill.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I think he means the level 7 locked door on Hammerlorne Mines Level 3 just before the devilmander room.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:[...]

Another real-world example: if you've never seen a bear trap but came across a set trap in the woods, you could probably figure out quickly how to "disarm" it by tossing a large stick onto the trigger plate. However, if further along in the woods you found a locked woodshed and a professional lockpick set, you *probably* would not know enough without basic "level 1" instructions on how to utilize the picks to release the lock.
I just realized something!

I have one point in lockpicking.!

I'm a rogue! 8)
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Randomizer wrote:I think he means the level 7 locked door on Hammerlorne Mines Level 3 just before the devilmander room.
Anyone found a key for this one? I didn't...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Elwro wrote:
Randomizer wrote:I think he means the level 7 locked door on Hammerlorne Mines Level 3 just before the devilmander room.
Anyone found a key for this one? I didn't...
There isn't one - someone should probably add this as a request to the v1.05 thread over in the Windows Support forum.

I understand that such a key was originally planned for, but then for some reason was subsequently dropped in development.

But I think it's a little unfair (and a little inconsistent from the rest of the game!) that there's no way to obtain the key for the Security Door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne...