Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The best light armor is Spun Adamantium, but that rarely shows up until you're level 19+ And, I always buy at least one level of Repair from the dwarf in Durnore, or keep a pair of Tinker's Gloves on hand and save myself the cost of repairing items that way. Free to fix them yourself by camping.

The stuff I find funny is that Fireproof Boots and Pants give you resistance when you walk on lava, but they burn up just as fast as normal stuff. Why doesn't the resistance apply to everything you have on you? Also, why doesn't your elemental resistance help when you set off a flaming trap? Or the Brimstone Spider nest?

As for variation, there are Burglar's Gloves, Assassin's Gloves, Tinker's Gloves, and the trapper's bracers (whatever they're called) off the top of my head, plus the various random variations like plus strength, dex, armor, and various resistances (I love that fireproof gloves help you walking across lava without them burning up, while fireproof boots get destroyed). You can even find piece that are "Resistant" giving you a +10% to all resistances. I've only seen that in helms, but they're very nice.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Resistances are overrated, give me a nice big +3 to AP any day.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Rowanas wrote:Resistances are overrated, give me a nice big +3 to AP any day.
I tend to agree, though Disease resistance is actually a help with some character builds (though, so far, I actually haven't paid for a piece of armor with Disease resistance... yet! ;) ).
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I've never been hit by a disease :D That's probably because the moment I get given a disease, it's enough to let something kill me, so I just reload. I even got killed by tapeworms, once. A rat bit me deep in a dungeon and I died of starvation before I could reach the surface.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The best light armor is Spun Adamantium
Ancient Dragon Skin is one level better than Spun Adm, I've seen it show up once in a while at the last shop, and also for items that improve in quality based on the level at which you find it.

I'd like to see some better quality quarterstaves in the game - I've never seen one better than Walnut, and at the higher level shops you only see war hammers and mauls, maybe the odd mace etc. Would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Farwalker wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The best light armor is Spun Adamantium
Ancient Dragon Skin is one level better than Spun Adm, I've seen it show up once in a while at the last shop, and also for items that improve in quality based on the level at which you find it.

I'd like to see some better quality quarterstaves in the game - I've never seen one better than Walnut, and at the higher level shops you only see war hammers and mauls, maybe the odd mace etc. Would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on.
You're right. Forgot that. I had a nice Resistant Ancient Dragon Skin Skullcap on my Cleric.
---

Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

Farwalker wrote:Would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on.
Pun intended?

I can see metal staves being added in the expansion. I hope someone working on the expansion does as well!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Antigrav wrote:
Farwalker wrote:Would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on.
Pun intended?

I can see metal staves being added in the expansion. I hope someone working on the expansion does as well!
The thing that surprises me with staves is that there are none specifically for mages. Perhaps BW feels that it would be too cliched, but I think the Gandalf look would be great. A staff with bonus to Perception or Elemental magic would be a really nice addition.
---

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The thing that surprises me with staves is that there are none specifically for mages. Perhaps BW feels that it would be too cliched, but I think the Gandalf look would be great. A staff with bonus to Perception or Elemental magic would be a really nice addition.
Ooh, that's a great idea. Give them maybe a low base damage but some extra Magic damage too, and you'd have something useful for close-quarters combat, in a pinch. (Not that you probably wouldn't just use an offensive spell anyway, but it'd be fun.)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

xolotl wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The thing that surprises me with staves is that there are none specifically for mages. Perhaps BW feels that it would be too cliched, but I think the Gandalf look would be great. A staff with bonus to Perception or Elemental magic would be a really nice addition.
Ooh, that's a great idea. Give them maybe a low base damage but some extra Magic damage too, and you'd have something useful for close-quarters combat, in a pinch. (Not that you probably wouldn't just use an offensive spell anyway, but it'd be fun.)
Well, early on if your Concentration is low, close up enemies tend to interfere with your spell casting, so having something to hit them with can be important. ;-) Also good if you're running low on Mana and need to get out of a tight spot.
---

Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Antigrav wrote:
Pun intended?

The thing that surprises me with staves is that there are none specifically for mages. Perhaps BW feels that it would be too cliched, but I think the Gandalf look would be great. A staff with bonus to Perception or Elemental magic would be a really nice addition.
I need a good staff to go with my pointy hat!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Well, early on if your Concentration is low, close up enemies tend to interfere with your spell casting, so having something to hit them with can be important. ;-) Also good if you're running low on Mana and need to get out of a tight spot.
Word.

I'm sure we'll be hearing soon from the folks who think that Mages are already too powerful. :)
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

xolotl wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Well, early on if your Concentration is low, close up enemies tend to interfere with your spell casting, so having something to hit them with can be important. ;-) Also good if you're running low on Mana and need to get out of a tight spot.
Word.

I'm sure we'll be hearing soon from the folks who think that Mages are already too powerful. :)
Hello, as a representative for NMBBT (Nerf the Mages Before Book Three) I hereby declare that mages are too powerful.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Rowanas wrote:
xolotl wrote:
Word.

Hello, as a representative for NMBBT (Nerf the Mages Before Book Three) I hereby declare that mages are too powerful.
Okay, so nerf the mages but give them a cool stick as a consolation. ;-)
---

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Rowanas wrote:Hello, as a representative for NMBBT (Nerf the Mages Before Book Three) I hereby declare that mages are too powerful.
You register nmbbt.org, I'll grab ckmatt.org (Coalition for Keeping Mages As They Are) and we'll get some online petitionwars going on.

FIGHT!

:)