Choices in Hammerlore. Help

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
lajaco
Pledge

Choices in Hammerlore. Help

Post by lajaco »

I am at the point of choosing 1 of 2 portals but get stuck in one and killed in the other by Stalks. What am I missing?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Choices in Hammerlore. Help

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

There is a way through the one where you think you get stuck. If you have even mediocre cartography, it will show you that not every wall is a wall. Same in the Sentinel Stalk room. Just prep yourself before stepping on any teleporters. It's really not that hard to survive the Sentinel Stalk room. Just head for the light ;-) Quaffing an invisibility potion just before teleporting doesn't hurt, either.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

No matter which portal you originally choose, you will end up in the room with the Sentinel Stalks. Nasty little dudes, aren't they? If you have Dense Nimbus you can use that to protect you while you make your hasty exit.
lajaco
Pledge

Post by lajaco »

Thanks for the help. It's forward into the depths for now. :)
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Another way is using a potion of invisibility hidden in a locked chest which you may find before you go to the stalker room. (Forgot the details, but it's on Mines, lvl one; not the entry level.)
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I actually wound up clearing out the room full of Sentinel Stalks with my fighter before I found the secret wall. Thinking back I think it took me one Healing Potion II, like three Mana Potion I, and a whole bunch of Divine Healing spells cast. My character was pretty bloated from drinking all those potions. :lol:

With my rogue I just got out of dodge ASAP since I already knew where the secret passage was at that point.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

For Elemental Mages, Dense Nimbus will make the Stalks irrelevant. The occasional shot gets through and they really hurt a guy with only 65 hit points but I was able to survive enough to kill them. I just ran into a corner, where not as many could reach me.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I really like the sentinel stalk room in Hammerlorne. It's one of the nastier traps in the game, and it's made even better by making you think you chose "wrong" when you get to it.

The first time I took the other portal, I wondered for a bit if it really was a no-win, no-way-out trap. It would have been kind of cool if it was, but BW would probably have gotten a lot of crap for it. I was playing a mage with create food/draw water and plenty of MP regen at the time, so he wouldn't have actually *died* down there, he just would have been very unhappy. I liked to imagine him skulking down there for years, going crazy, and zapping new arrivals from behind the mountains of reagents he would have gathered by then.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

tungprc wrote:For Elemental Mages, Dense Nimbus will make the Stalks irrelevant. The occasional shot gets through and they really hurt a guy with only 65 hit points but I was able to survive enough to kill them. I just ran into a corner, where not as many could reach me.
Heh. With my mage I just walked out of the room and then used Supernova to nuke them all from the safety of the hallway. ;)

I, too, like the Sentinel Stalk room precisely because it makes it REALLY feel like you're taking on a well defended mine.
---

stone
Initiate

Post by stone »

I did the room a few times (map reloads).. Supernova was interesting effect, but I really enjoyed bringing a pile of demon bottles and chunking those till they all burned up -- room filled wall to wall with fire -- snicker snicker burn burn

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
tungprc wrote:For Elemental Mages, Dense Nimbus will make the Stalks irrelevant. The occasional shot gets through and they really hurt a guy with only 65 hit points but I was able to survive enough to kill them. I just ran into a corner, where not as many could reach me.
Heh. With my mage I just walked out of the room and then used Supernova to nuke them all from the safety of the hallway. ;)

I, too, like the Sentinel Stalk room precisely because it makes it REALLY feel like you're taking on a well defended mine.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Wuss! :P

My Ranger used his Bow, and Intense Focus, and no Dense Nimbus spell!! and cleared out the Stalk room all by his lonesome... on his way to clearing out all the loot from Hammerlorne!! :D
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

IJBall wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Wuss! :P

My Ranger used his Bow, and Intense Focus, and no Dense Nimbus spell!! and cleared out the Stalk room all by his lonesome... on his way to clearing out all the loot from Hammerlorne!! :D
My Ranger did exactly the same. That was my first play through. The mage was much easier, but both were effective. I'm working on figuring out a good melee build right now. Punching them to death is a bit difficult.
---