Key from Sparrow?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
lexantis
Initiate

Re: Key from Sparrow?

Post by lexantis »

Rowanas wrote:Picaroon has the best.
but where is he/she/it? :)
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

lexantis wrote:
You can't go there yet.

The dwarf settlement (forgot it's name) is the "highest" place you can come to, so far.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

Rebelicious wrote:
lexantis wrote:
You can't go there yet.

The dwarf settlement (forgot it's name) is the "highest" place you can come to, so far.
ah i see, wandered all around and there was like nothing else than those mines, bad thing then, i will need to know how much arcane elemental/divine points do i need for best mage spells, if someone can tell?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You can't actually get to Picaroon until you've finished in the mine. However, if you're looking to up your skill in magic, the only place to do that is Port K, where the magic shop owner will teach you up to level 8 of either class of magic. She's also the best spot for picking up spells at that point in the game. Usually you can find either or both Trap Kill and Lock Melt in her inventory, or the magic shop in Everdale if you didn't kill him. It's random by week, so if they don't have the scrolls, just do some camping and leveling for 7 days. ;)

You can find some spell scrolls in the innkeeper's stock in Durnore, and if you wander down to Edon (south of Raven's Gate, with lots of interesting stuff to fight on the way) you can find some spells in Ben's stock sometimes.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

if i only knew this earlier :D

anyways, the bad thing is i killed him, but you provided so much good info, so im thankfull

so i found this chest, saved, and 5 min of loading, and found this scroll finally, YAY! :)
eb2_screen4.JPG
eb2_screen4.JPG (139.19 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

lexantis wrote:if i only knew this earlier :D
I believe you need the highest level of Elemental to be successful at that lock with that scroll.
Anyway, not relevant if Sparrow is already in heaven (that's where I think she is, as opposed to hell).
EDIT: 'highest level of Elemental' is poorly phrased. I meant 'highest casting level', which is level 6.
Last edited by KillingMoon on July 15th, 2010, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

KillingMoon wrote:
lexantis wrote:if i only knew this earlier :D
I believe you need the highest level of Elemental to be successful at that lock with that scroll.
Anyway, not relevant if Sparrow is already in heaven (that's where I think she is, as opposed to hell).
didnt want to hurt that sexy lady tho, you know :)
also keeping healer status this way

btw. what is the highest level of Elemental?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

lexantis wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:I believe you need the highest level of Elemental to be successful at that lock with that scroll.
I believe KM means the "highest level" of Elemental needed to cast Lock Melt at Level 6.

IIRC, Lock Melt is a 'Tier 2' spell - you need Level 5 Elemental to cast Tier 2 spells at Level 1, so... you'll need Level 20 in Elemental magic to cast Lock Melt at Level 6.

(The "highest level" of either Elemental or Divination that you'll even need is Level 31, which allows you to cast Tier 3 spells at Level 6. So you never need to go higher than Level 31 in one of the magics...)
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

IJBall wrote:
lexantis wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:I believe you need the highest level of Elemental to be successful at that lock with that scroll.
I believe KM means the "highest level" of Elemental needed to cast Lock Melt at Level 6.

IIRC, Lock Melt is a 'Tier 2' spell - you need Level 5 Elemental to cast Tier 2 spells at Level 1, so... you'll need Level 20 in Elemental magic to cast Lock Melt at Level 6.

(The "highest level" of either Elemental or Divination that you'll even need is Level 31, which allows you to cast Tier 3 spells at Level 6. So you never need to go higher than Level 31 in one of the magics...)
yeah have it at 20 atm. thought that i wouldnt need more, haha, but i was silly, seemed like i was already casting the most powerfull spell, abbysal freeze, which i just obtained by Ben at Edon (Many Thanks to Kreador Freeaxe)

so what the mightiest spell would be?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

lexantis wrote:yeah have it at 20 atm. thought that i wouldnt need more, haha, but i was silly, seemed like i was already casting the most powerfull spell, abbysal freeze, which i just obtained by Ben at Edon (Many Thanks to Kreador Freeaxe)

so what the mightiest spell would be?
It's a question of casting level - you may be able to cast Abyssal Freeze, but you may not be able to cast it at Level 6. That's where the really-high Elemental skill helps.

In terms of the "mightiest" spell, the question is probably better-phrased as "what's the most efficient spell, given my circumstances?" There's some raw data here and some other discussion about offsensive spells starting here... (May as well add here that IMO Compress Atmosphere is one of the more useful spells for a big chunk of the game - once you're very high-level there are more effective spells, but Compress Atmosphere is great for a variety of reasons)
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

xolotl wrote: It's a question of casting level - you may be able to cast Abyssal Freeze, but you may not be able to cast it at Level 6. That's where the really-high Elemental skill helps.

In terms of the "mightiest" spell, the question is probably better-phrased as "what's the most efficient spell, given my circumstances?" There's some raw data here and some other discussion about offsensive spells starting here... (May as well add here that IMO Compress Atmosphere is one of the more useful spells for a big chunk of the game - once you're very high-level there are more effective spells, but Compress Atmosphere is great for a variety of reasons)
Thats it, im casting AF at lvl6 so, i cant see a better spell in either table. I saw supernova scroll in shop but couldnt afford it at that moment so im deducting that it could be more powerfull - i dont know yet really, compress atmosphere has better effectiveness and i've been using it for the major part of the game so far.

Could you guys be some more of a particular..
So the right question is: What spells cast on 6th level are requiring 31 elemental ?

Also looking for a spell which could actually destroy the cracked walls, if such one exists
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

lexantis wrote:So the right question is: What spells cast on 6th level are requiring 31 elemental ?
Doing a Sherlock Holmes on IJBall's post would lead me to believe that these are the level 3 spells.
And in SpottedShroom's post (link was given earlier) the spell level is the number in brackets.
Also looking for a spell which could actually destroy the cracked walls, if such one exists
Not sure if there is one, but not all cracked walls are blastable anyway, most of the time the cracks are some decorator's idea of style... :P
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

lexantis wrote:So the right question is: What spells cast on 6th level are requiring 31 elemental ?
The Book II spell list can be found here. (And, don't forget - Randomizer's list will take you to most resources like this...)

Honestly, I'm very dissatisfied with that spell list, as it's incomplete - that poster kind of did a 'hit and run' with a bunch of posts when Book II first came out, and hasn't been seen since. If I get some time, and play a Spellcaster (which I haven't in Book II yet), I'll try to work up a revised (i.e. complete) version of the spell list - I haven't decided if I'll post my revised list to that thread, or start a new one (I'm more inclined to do the latter...).
KillingMoon wrote:Not sure if there is one, but not all cracked walls are blastable anyway, most of the time the cracks are some decorator's idea of style... :P
Currently, I don't think you can use Compress Atmosphere, et al. on cracked walls, though I know at least a couple of people are going to push for that to change with AOE spells in Book III... :mrgreen:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

As for Supernova (which is a Tier 3 spell requiring level 31 Elemental for casting at 6 power), it has some uses in the game, but there aren't that many situations where you want it that would make it really worth having if you're short on possible spells to learn (remember, you can only learn a number of spells = the class stat [intfor elemental, wis for divine] divided by 2). It does have a fun use at level 1 casting power, which is to locate hidden objects. They smoke (as do places where messages pop up, and some other stuff) when Supernova is cast nearby. It tells you where to look for hidden gems when you're wandering in the caves, for one. You can use it to get the XP for the dragonels in the upper levels of Talushorn without triggering the trap that would release them. And it can let you wipe out the Sentinel Stalk room from the outside in the mine (you'll find that one soon enough--hehehehehe).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Well, it seems I got stuck on the original quest that led to this topic. :cry:
I didn't play very far before, but now I've taken the Crux of Fire, except I don't know what to do next.

I didn't take the key from Sparrow, instead I picked the lock, but the problem is that my journal is still telling me to speak to Sparrow about the key and that I should get the crux of fire. That's not helpful; I've already gained access to the mine and the crux.

How to go on from here?