mage/cleric build

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
danielekan
Pledge

mage/cleric build

Post by danielekan »

I finished book 1 twice, with a pure mage and a pure warrior.
For the second book, I'd like to try some more original char. I was thinking about a cleric/mage and I was wondering if (and how) that would be an effective build.

I think that an important goal should be maximize mana points.
Some advice on how should be the skills progression?

thx
Rowanas
Council Member

Re: mage/cleric build

Post by Rowanas »

You can do it pretty much the same as a pure mage/ pure cleric, except that you'll need to distribute points roughly equally. You'll be weaker due to lack of focus, but when you finally get them both to respectable levels, you'll wipe every enemy off the face of the earth.

I have to say though, that cleric/mages aren't all that great because many of the spells are just duplicates of each other and cleric spells are mostly focussed on physical enhancements, which as a mage, you won't need.
Miths
Initiate

Post by Miths »

Rowanas wrote:...

I have to say though, that cleric/mages aren't all that great because many of the spells are just duplicates of each other and cleric spells are mostly focussed on physical enhancements, which as a mage, you won't need.
That's what I'm finding as well. My level 7 character currently has around 15 points in Magick and 8 in Divination if I recall correctly, and out of the six divination spells I have, Lore and Cat's Eyes are the only two I use, and the latter only because I prefer the color of the light to Gravedigger's Flame.
I've looked at the spell list on this forum, and I do imagine some of the healing or protection spells might prove very useful later on though. But though I haven't tried it, there doesn't seem any point to buying eg. Fleshboil when I have Fire Dart?
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Fleshboil is, indeed, an inferior spell to fire dart - same damage, but without the versatility of using on pesky barrels and doors.

Cat's Eyes is, however, superior to GD Flame not just for the color scheme, but also because it doesn't "light you up," so you remain in darkness and thus remain harder to hit (possibly bugged in earlier versions, but this should be right in 1.04).

Of course, the big use of Divine magic is the healing. And, if you have all the hardcore options checked, Create Food is immensely useful.

But mostly if you're pure magic, you'll be using a lot more elemental spells than divine spells.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Miths wrote:
Rowanas wrote:...

That's what I'm finding as well. My level 7 character currently has around 15 points in Magick and 8 in Divination if I recall correctly, and out of the six divination spells I have, Lore and Cat's Eyes are the only two I use, and the latter only because I prefer the color of the light to Gravedigger's Flame.
I've looked at the spell list on this forum, and I do imagine some of the healing or protection spells might prove very useful later on though. But though I haven't tried it, there doesn't seem any point to buying eg. Fleshboil when I have Fire Dart?
The Mass Boil can be an advantage in mass slaughter because you don't accidentally blow up powder kegs. The disadvantage is that you need to have a visible target.

Also, try casting Cat's Eyes and Gravedigger's Flame together. I think you'll enjoy the effect.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

danielekan wrote:I finished book 1 twice, with a pure mage and a pure warrior.
For the second book, I'd like to try some more original char. I was thinking about a cleric/mage and I was wondering if (and how) that would be an effective build.

I think that an important goal should be maximize mana points.
Some advice on how should be the skills progression?

thx
At some point, I'm probably going to put a post up about 'dual-class' builds, such as what you're suggesting.

But here are my thoughts on the specific question of a Mage/Healer dual-class build - first go with Virtuous Mage as your starting Title:

Mage-Healer ("Ultimate Mage!"):

Code: Select all

Mage       Virtuous     Enchantress  Arcane, Elemental     Scroll, Fire Dart
                        Mage
Go with Emayu Origin for the PER/WIS bonuses.

Starting Skills (with starting Level):
Elemental (5) (starting Skill), Divination (5), Lt. Armor (1) [& Save 1 pt.!]

Starting Attributes:
Keep rolling until you get PER, INT and WIS all at 14 (or at least two 14's and a 13). (Note: This may take some time... :( )

Then, put your given starting Attribute points into PER to get PER up as high as you can: try and get to PER=31 (at least go to PER=30) - this will maximize MPs (and MP regeneration, as well). Put whatever points you have left into getting INT and WIS up to 15. Any Attribute points left-over at this point should probably go into END (for HPs).

Comments:
At start, this build allows you to cast both Elemental and Divination Tier 1 spells to Level 3 (in theory, they'd also allow you to cast Tier 2 spells at Level 1, but your INT and WIS scores won't be high enough to read Tier 2 spell scrolls yet...). You'll start off the game with Fire Dart (from the provided scroll), and Bless (free with Virtuous), so you'll have two spells learned right off the bat. ;)

In the next three levels, get to PER=40, and put the Skill points into Elemental (the more useful magic of the two) at least until Elemental Magic is Level 11 (which would allow you to cast Tier 1 spells at Level 6, and Tier 3 spells at Level 1).

Once PER=40, then focus on getting INT and WIS to 20, and then ultimately to 25 (though you may be able to get there with amulets and rings and such...).

The one important thing to bear in mind - you can only learn as many Elemental and Divination spells as your INT/2 and your WIS/2, respectively - so choose carefully which spell scrolls you decide to read.

Once you get Elemental Magic up to Level 20 (which will allow you to cast Tier 2 spells through Level 6, and Tier 3 spells to Level 3), I'd then start to foucs on building up the Divination Magic.

By mid-game, you should be pretty set! Good luck!! :)
yariel
Pledge

Post by yariel »

my major Mage / Priest combo (mainly mage) and I always use this trait in any RPG that permit this possibility ...

Roll die that makes Int, Wis, Per close to 14 ... make sure most other stat above 10 (yeah, I'm damn greed) ... (a bit lower Wis is okay as long as not below 11) ...

put point to make INT goes 15, and spent ALL the rest in PER ...
(this will give you instant access in mage spell and tons of early SP not to mention high rate of MP regeneration)

Your trait ...
1. chose either gender ...
2. choose trait that increase your PER and WIS (Emayu) or if your PER seems high enough then Kessian ... (with a bit luck, your WIS might as well reach 15)
3. Choose whatever you want ... but I don't think Virtuous stat really give good benefit in long term
4. Choose Magic User ... (this will give "Arcane.Elemental" skill 1)

spent few point so Arcane.Elemental reach 4 ...
(you will get buy Hat +1 Arcane.Elemental that give access Lv 3 firebolt latter) JUST THAT !!!
all the other skill can be buy latter from trainer ...
and if you can access book as start learner then you can save 2 sp ...
this give A LOT saving for skill point ...

learn as few as possible spell, there's a certain cap of amount spell (cleric, mage) based your Int and Wis so if you learn too much, you'll be forced to increase Int and Wis more too early ...

how to learn skill ...
1. search trainer for "Foraging" first so you can have early steady income ...
add with hat +2 Merchantile ...
2. learn all skill possible from trainer (8) then add that with book (1/2), it should be reach 10 or 11 ...
3. any other skill that don't have trainer should be learned first from book, this will save 2 sp as starting point ...

note from my style gameplay :
1. I only learn a few from cleric spell ...
like Lore, healing, create food and few other ... not really useful since you are alone (the summoning isn't as grand as it should be) ... not to mention it broke "true healer" rule, their AI is just stand still and just stand there unless getting attacked ...

2. all weapon is HEAVY and that's a bane for magician since if hand is too heavy then spell cannot be cast (glove, shield and weapon) Mage should be able to have magician staff or certain type weapon that match them ... I only use light armor and a wooden shield ...

3. Elemental spell is kind of tricky,
fire is extremely weak in rainy day and ice is stronger, vince versa ...
that's why I always use elemental spell depending weather ...

please tell your style of gameplay for this Mage / Cleric trait ...

I usually boost stat with equipment (thanks for dual set equipment)
PER, INT, CONC (etc) boost at fight / adventure
and
Foraging, repair (etc) at rest
this makes my inventory loaded with many pair of stat enchantment equipment ... (almost 30% of all slot, 2 for each ring)