Fun with Powderkegs! (Spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Turtle
Council Member

Fun with Powderkegs! (Spoilers)

Post by Turtle »

I decided to see what would happen if I dropped a portcullis on a powderkeg. The answer is: awesomeness happens.

Observe:

Kudos to BW for thinking of this! In Book I, there was no way to destroy a portcullis; now there is. And while it may seem like a colossal waste of powderkegs, I can think of a couple of places where it could be useful (I'm looking at you, Lorewitch! Think you're so clever with your fancy puzzle, see how you like it when I'm done with it. :twisted: ), or at least fun.

I can also think of a couple of places where it could get you killed, but if you're that careless, you deserve what you get. :mrgreen:

Edit: fixed links.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Fun with Powderkegs! (Spoilers)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Awesome. That might also work on the third floor of Talushorn. Maybe the fourth floor. Have to try that. hehehe
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

That may be the most glorious thing I have ever seen.

(Well, in the Eschalon universe, anyway.)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

xolotl wrote:That may be the most glorious thing I have ever seen.

(Well, in the Eschalon universe, anyway.)
:lol: What you said made me laugh!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Following up on my above response, yes, this technique will allow you to exit level 4 of Talushorn (just be careful where you place the keg and where you walk). ;-) Thank you for trying this Turtle. More fun for us all!
---

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

The next step, of course, is to zip through Talushorn Level 4 without actually killing anything yourself, and then use this trick to try and drag Korren out to the main area to do the killing for you.

It'd be pretty tricky to blow the final gate, 'cause it'll shut before you have a chance to drop a keg if you're carrying the viewing glass. Near as I can tell, you'd have to drop off the glass in one of the chests in the lefthand corridor, then get into the Crux room, camp near the door until you drop a Foraging bag within reach of the portcullis square, then go BACK out, get the glass, put it in the bag (while standing in the portcullis square), and then go in, drop the keg, and grab the glass from out of the bag (which should trigger the proximity-based portcullis drop).

Whew.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it...

(And of course, it all hinges on Korren randomly making it two steps into the corridor so that you can push him forward. And then of course there's the more-wide bit where you couldn't effectively block him anymore. Perhaps by that point he'd have noticed the monsters and gone into attack mode.)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

xolotl wrote: It'd be pretty tricky to blow the final gate, 'cause it'll shut before you have a chance to drop a keg if you're carrying the viewing glass. Near as I can tell, you'd have to drop off the glass in one of the chests in the lefthand corridor, then get into the Crux room, camp near the door until you drop a Foraging bag within reach of the portcullis square, then go BACK out, get the glass, put it in the bag (while standing in the portcullis square), and then go in, drop the keg, and grab the glass from out of the bag (which should trigger the proximity-based portcullis drop).
If you do this, you've got to screen cap it!
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Thank you Turtle. :)
My pleasure.

It's far from being a true game-changer, but it gives us an excuse to go back into the game and play around some more, so yeah!
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

can it be destroyed if the powder keg was next to the gate :roll:
Last edited by Aldbeski on August 21st, 2010, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

No, I guess that would make it too easy. :wink:
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

yeah i guess it would
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

I actually did end up trying this out last night (at least the "blowing up that last portcullis" bit, and after I had killed General Ghorr, etc - it's possible that you wouldn't be able to camp with them that close), and the method I described does work, though you'd want to make sure that the bag with the Viewing Glass isn't the one you step into; it seems that the script will trigger the gate closing even if it's not actually in your inventory, but in the same square (still in the bag). Didn't bother with a screenshot since there's really not much to see.

As far as getting Korren to go out through the passageway, I'd bet that doing so is nigh-impossible. Possibly if you could keep yourself Hasted for awhile, and have a few extra powderkegs to lug around (so you could construct barriers for Korren more quickly than he could move around them), but it'd be incredibly tricksy.
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Here's a good use for it:

That lets you kill a few, then go back out and rest before you kill a few more. They won't follow you out unless they see you. Of course, if you want them to follow you out and wreak havoc on the townsfolk, you can do that:

However, you might want to think twice because for some reason it really annoys people, some of whom can't be charmed back into being reasonable. :wink:
wsquires
Pledge

Post by wsquires »

Unfortunately, this doesn't work as I can't place kegs within 1 square (tile) of an obstruction - it says "there's no room to place the keg here" or some such. Is this fixed in 1.04? (I'm on 1.03 Mac version).
Re: the Tauraxes in level 2 of Talushorn that are behind the fence in the long hallway (?) with the three archery targets. I foolishly killed them before realizing there was no way past. Searching this forum, I discovered you're supposed to use Demon Oil on them to blow a hole in the fence (while a Taurax is standing next to the fence, obviously). So I tried reloading my save and putting a keg of powder near the fence - no deal - I couldn't place the keg close enough. Yikes! Is there a map editor that I can use to place a keg close to the fence?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

wsquires wrote:Unfortunately, this doesn't work as I can't place kegs within 1 square (tile) of an obstruction - it says "there's no room to place the keg here" or some such. Is this fixed in 1.04? (I'm on 1.03 Mac version).
Re: the Tauraxes in level 2 of Talushorn that are behind the fence in the long hallway (?) with the three archery targets. I foolishly killed them before realizing there was no way past. Searching this forum, I discovered you're supposed to use Demon Oil on them to blow a hole in the fence (while a Taurax is standing next to the fence, obviously). So I tried reloading my save and putting a keg of powder near the fence - no deal - I couldn't place the keg close enough. Yikes! Is there a map editor that I can use to place a keg close to the fence?
Stand next to the fence. Hold down the shift key and click to one side or the other of your character along the line of the fence so that you're facing sideways. Place the powder keg. Alternately, hold down the tab key or turn the combat grid to always on so that you can see the spaces and make sure that there is an empty space immediately between you and the fence. You cannot place the keg directly ON the fence, only next to the fence, and you can do it before or after the Taurax spearmasters are dead.
---