Monsters and Doors

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monsters and Doors

Post by xolotl »

Really I should probably just wait for a Book 3 Wishlist to get officially started here, but I had this thought while playing last night:

I was spending rather a lot of time camping out in the King's hall in Durnore (after, um, assisting the previous residents to the next phase of their existance), and occasionally getting ambushed by Snow Wolves. What I'd usually do is just run over to the other side of the king's chamber door (possibly killing a Wolf in the way), and then keep the door closed while my bow Feat regenerated.

I was thinking it'd be pretty cool if monsters who don't open doors would instead attack them, and be able to destroy them once they've taken enough damage (basically just like your own character trying to break down a door). The door would hold for awhile, certainly, but eventually my "safe" strategy of hiding behind the door wouldn't be viable anymore.

This would probably involve some changes to how the engine deals with entity/player awareness, but it'd be pretty neat to see in Book 3, IMO.
Turtle
Council Member

Re: Monsters and Doors

Post by Turtle »

Fantastic idea!
Hactar
Initiate

Post by Hactar »

Ooh I wanna see wolves trying to bash down that door and then get their claws all dull and bloodied and then give up again howling. Cause it should be done the same way as it is when you try to bash it down yourself. Hard.

And equally fun, as the idea was intended I guess, when there's a troll there to really bash it to splinters :D
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Hactar wrote:Ooh I wanna see wolves trying to bash down that door and then get their claws all dull and bloodied and then give up again howling. Cause it should be done the same way as it is when you try to bash it down yourself. Hard.
Unless we assume that they have one point in Unarmed Combat, as one would expect from a wolf. :)
Hactar
Initiate

Post by Hactar »

Ah so you stop going Scofield on your knuckles as soon as you've got someting in Unarmed Combat?

Ok, shows how much I knew about that skill :oops: :)
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Intriguingly, there's a certain werewolf who can open doors in wolf form.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Rowanas wrote:Intriguingly, there's a certain werewolf who can open doors in wolf form.
Well, that makes sense. He still knows what doors are and how they work. Harder to open without hands, but not impossible.

I wonder how that's implemented, though - is there a "can open doors" flag for each NPC?
haidivolume
Pledge

Post by haidivolume »

great idea