Character hacking...how important is it?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

Should we allow character hacking with future games?

Hacking character files should NOT be allowed!
12%
If I want to hack my character, it's my right!
88%

Total votes: 59

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Character hacking...how important is it?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Here is a question that is likely to stir up quite a bit of debate: should we allow character hacking in future games?

With our current games, we do nothing to encrypt the character file. Anyone with basic knowledge of a hex editor can change values, creating a super-hero type of character with no effort.

But, we could encrypt this file for future games. It would take very little effort at all to add basic encryption that would make a character file look like gibberish to someone viewing it with a hex editor. This wouldn't necessarily prevent cheating- a dedicated hacker might be able to alter their character in RAM, or figure out how to decrypt the character file. But, it would make it extremely hard for an average person unable to alter their character.

So, what are your opinions? For the record, I think character hacking is fine and I don't have a problem with it, but it can make balancing and bug hunting difficult. So, it's a toss-up for me.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Character hacking...how important is it?

Post by Randomizer »

Just as long as people editing their games know that it can create problems, then it should be allowed. I've heard enough players say that they want to be able to breeze through combat so they can enjoy the story.

I guess they can't wait for Eschalon: The Movie.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I have never seen the point in it as it would simply ruin the game/gameplay. But if people want to do it then that is fine by me. The only thing is that it might make any high scores a bit redundant
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Heh, I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to comment here, but I did want to mention that for myself at least, the joy of editing game files goes back a long way (my first coherent memories of doing so were in Wing Commander II and Ultima 6). On games that I like which don't include explicit cheat codes, I often enjoy poking around in data files quite a bit. Hell, I even often end up pulling down local copies of bloody Flash games that I enjoy, so I can fiddle around with what's inside. Then again, I'm also the sort of person who finds that kind of thing just as fun as playing the actual game, so I may be an outlier on the bell curve. If I'm completely honest about it, I'd have to admit that I'd be a little bit saddened to find an encrypted savegame format in a game I was quite fond of.

I certainly do understand concerns about being able to balance the game properly and providing support for folks who turn out to be using hacked savegames and the like. I can only hope that people who do such things are careful to only report issues occurring on unmodified game files, though I'm sure that that degree of carefulness isn't always in play. Hopefully the overall impact of such shenanigans is, at least, minimal. While utilities such as mine are probably inevitable even with protections like encryption in play, I would have to admit that it certainly makes it much easier for more widespread editing to occur in the community when such things are unofficially tolerated on the official forums.

So how's that for a wishy-washy answer? :)
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Unbeliever »

BW:

As long as it's not causing you major problems, I don't see the harm in letting us toy with our characters.

I know, in a game as complex as yours, I love to play once normally (and as thoroughly as possible) -- and then go back and see "everything I missed" by playing through as a god...

Surely, in a one-player game, it's no skin off of any other player's nose what we do.

[If we cheaters are causing YOU too much of a headache, though, that might be a valid reason to restrict access.]

In general, though, I think we're drawn to indie developers because we like the freedom. No DRM, no unnecessary restrictions. Here's the game. Enjoy!

Thanks for being so dedicated to providing an awesome experience for all of us...
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

As I wrote in my review of Eschalon, I play games for the story, atmosphere and worldbuilding, not for combat or stats. So I want to see everything. I played both Eschalon games before I knew that characters were hackable or that I could reload previous characters into a new game.

I have never yet played with a hacked character (short of extra key removal) -- but restarting a game with a high-level character made me able to enjoy and appreciate the work that had gone into the games much more. Among other things, I really liked having a detailed map from the start.

So I concur with other commenters that it would be nice to leave things open, provided that people are aware that hacks may create complications.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

I don't care either way, as I don't feel the need to hack my character (Hacking myself, OMGBBQ !!!).
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I'm firmly in the "I don't mind" camp.

If people want to fiddle, let them. As with anything, though, brain cells are required if you do choose to hack your character.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I can see why some people like to do that. I don't have the know how. I like playing through several times with different options without 'tweaking'. I think it should be allowed with the exception of not posting how to do it for 'x' number of month after game is released. Let the new game go as it should be without the temptation to tinker with it and have something go wrong and get BW blamed for a bad game.
[Shrug.] My 2 coppers worth of comment on subject. [/Shrug.]
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Eh, if someone wants make an uber character through artificial means.... *shrug* They just need to understand that their opinions/complaints on gameplay elements will be invalidated. 0_o

I'm generally a story-line gamer, so I could see the benefit in the cheats... even though I don't use them. However, I'm not above using the occasional stumbled upon "exploit" when it works in my favor. I just don't actively seek them out.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I guess they can't wait for Eschalon: The Movie.
Directed by Uwe Boll, starring Shia LaBouf as Eschalon, the mighty hero who must rescue his love interest, Lilith, from the evil Ork Shaman using the power of the Crux of Ages, an enchanted blade that can save the world of Thaermore...or destroy it.

THIS!

SUMMER!

EVERYTHING!

CHANGES!

Rated PG-13

Annnnyway, I don't hack myself, as I don't know how. But even if I did, I probably wouldn't. Nevertheless, what other people do with their games is their own business, I think. If people enjoy tinkering with their games, I say more power to them.

Besides, it's not like you can ban people for hacking a single-player game. Or sue them for making hacks. I mean, that would be crazy. What sane person could even conceive such an idea. I, for one, am glad we don't live in a world where such things could even happen.

>.>

<.<

...What?
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

after finishing the game several times and when i say several times i mean 5-10 times you will find yourself with nothing new to do any more so you start messing around with the game files and altering your char and that will keep you going for days and maybe weeks , so you can see that char editing is important.
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Hacking yourself can also be seen as perverse or biologicaly dangerous. :D
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Unbeliever »

Manusdei:

I honestly thought you just made up "OMGBBQ" to be weird.

Then I looked it up on Urban Dictionary.

Damn. It's real.

I'm old...
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

I've known it for a while, scary isn't it ? :twisted: