stone golem

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
mgbmgb
Steward

stone golem

Post by mgbmgb »

can't seem to kill the stone golem, any ideas?
WorBlux
Apprentice

Re: stone golem

Post by WorBlux »

Have you tried the plasma wand?

Haste and invisibility potions are great to try as well. Keensight, stoneskin, nimbleness, and ogre strength will help as well if you can get or make them.
mgbmgb
Steward

Re:plasma wand

Post by mgbmgb »

in version 1.03 my plasma wand could recharge when i rested but now in1.05 i now longer can do this it was obviously a problem that needed rectifying, so stone golem will have to be dealt with in other ways
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

That stone golem is quite impressive to watch (huge stone guy with huge menacing hammer) and it's definitely a hard nut to crack. But I finally managed to kill it with a lvl16 rogue. All would have been better if that damn thing didn't heal itself. Fortunately it only doesn't do that in close combat.

What worked for me was to get some of the powder kegs left from the lava room and surround the golem as best as I could, as it's been hinted/suggested already. But it turned out to be quite tricky, and not final.

The golem needs a couple horizontal tiles empty to move, so trying to lure it and place some kegs on its back (to trap it and make sure all the kegs hit it) was quite lengthy and prone to trial and error. As soon as it notices that it can't go further it automatically goes back to its room, which makes things quite tricky. But even after placing all the kegs only a couple of the whole five actually damaged it.

Anyway, the explosion let the golem with about 60% health, so I finished the rest with my Wraithbiter and spamming the 'Double Strike' feat (piercing at 31) while under a potion of Haste II and Power combat mode. Overall I had to use a couple Healing II potions and a couple III more when my health was below half or so (I have about 100 health, and each of its blows did about 50 dmg).

All in all, this has been the hardest boss in the Eschalons so far.

But, well, just out of curiosity, does anybody know if it has any particular protection or vulnerability? It'd be handy to know for the next time.
Lightzy
Initiate

Post by Lightzy »

The only real problem was the golem.. So I set a death gauntlet for it.

I moved the barrels to the corridor where it can chase you, and I spaced the barrels so that every 2 golem moves I can use 1 arrow to explode 2 barrels (I was also short on arrows) which will both hit the golem.. sometimes 3 is possible too, but it's some luck then.
Never actually hit the golem itself or used the plasma rod.

Although as it turns out the saving on the plasma rod was silly frugality and hubris because I found that I FORGOT IT IN MY HOME CHEST when I got to the final boss fight.
Thank god that one has a trick to it too
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just finished my first Fathamurk playthrough, and boy - was it ever tough. I was a level 19 Rogue - unarmed combat and some Elemental spells only.

I eventually got the golem by lining the corridor with dynamite barrels. They had to be placed in the shadows because he was too smart to walk next to the ones he could see. Then I used a combination of Compress Atmosphere and the barrels. One odd thing I noticed was that Compress Atmosphere would damage objects placed next to a legitimate target (that was true everywhere in the game).

The big problem was that my Mana Potion stash was just barely adequate for the job. Also, I had to do so much resting that I almost ran out of food. Thought I was prepared, but it seems I was somewhat optimistic about the equipment I would need.

What a tough challenge that was! I just loved it. Great job BW.
sterno
Pledge

Post by sterno »

Do you get anything decent for killing him? If I want to take him, I'm probably going to have to reload an old save to before I blew up all those powder kegs, and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.

Nevermind, looks like I probably need to kill him to get out anyway, I'm guessing. :P

Edit: Just in case anyone else has trouble, here's what I ended up doing, since I'm playing a fighter who didn't have magic or potions and he was crushing me in melee. I grabbed the 3 barrels that I hadn't blown up and carried them with me. Then I led the stone golem back to the chamber with the gem sculpture thing in it and used the barrels to block him in to the south end of it. I found that if I headed down that south hallway, just as soon as he got out of my sight I could make camp. So I'd make camp for about an hour to refresh the 10 point bow feat attack thing, step forward a square and shoot him, then step back and camp again. He doesn't seem to heal while you're camping. I only had 20 arrows so I couldn't afford to do it the straight-up way. Anyway, it was cheap, but it worked.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sterno wrote:He doesn't seem to heal while you're camping.
Woah! That's got to be a bug. Nice exploit, though.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I tried Fathamurk the first time with my new Ranger at level 16 and after a few deaths decided I'd wait and come back a little later (kept a save before going in). With my level 20 character (became 21 in the dungeon) it was much more doable, and I even got out with almost all the treasure, though I did leave a few hundred arrows behind. :)

That is a VERY cool dungeon, BW. Thank you very much. Loved the invisible maze (16 cartography made it relatively easy to navigate, though). Even with my level 21 Ranger, I managed to get myself killed twice (I hate not noticing traps and not having healed up completely before setting them off). The explosive storage room is a lot of fun when you kill a slag and there's a chain reaction. :) I wasted a bunch having fun seeing if I could free that giant gem from the statue. It is just decoration. :(

The golem was cool. He hit me once when I didn't realize just how long his reach is. I backed him into a corner with a bunch of explosive barrels then lit him up. That and two Focus Feat shots took him down.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The golem was cool. He hit me once when I didn't realize just how long his reach is. I backed him into a corner with a bunch of explosive barrels then lit him up. That and two Focus Feat shots took him down.
Heh, that's just how I beat him! Eight barrels, 1 focus feat diamond arrow shot, and one more regular arrow shot. Took a bit of thinking to figure out how to trap him in the corner, though, and I took a few bone-crushing blows.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mod. »

When I first killed him, I used a mage specializing in divination. Bunch of Haste, Fortify Mana, and Mana potions did the job well. I just kept casting mystic hammer, and he only regenerated once at the beginning. For some reason he didn't even notice me until almost all his health was gone. Thanks to haste I ran away much faster than he could chase me, so I blasted him till he died. Didn't even use any barrels, wanted to just straight up fight him first, and it worked.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

honestly I wished for some more golems...

I killed everything, explored whole lava caves, I missed some really tough battles.

The Golem had no chance with my lvl 20 Ranger.
Bow 7 dmg, Mithril Arrows, Haste,Bless,Keensight,one explosive barrel.
his regen skill had no real effect.

I still miss some epic battles, cause after around 18 lvl everything is piece of cake, even groups of Taurax...
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

severian wrote:honestly I wished for some more golems...

I killed everything, explored whole lava caves, I missed some really tough battles.

The Golem had no chance with my lvl 20 Ranger.
Bow 7 dmg, Mithril Arrows, Haste,Bless,Keensight,one explosive barrel.
his regen skill had no real effect.

I still miss some epic battles, cause after around 18 lvl everything is piece of cake, even groups of Taurax...
Pick a melee class next time and you're in for a challenge. And, did you enter the caves at that level or that's the one you reached inside?

Also, NO. Really, NO. One of the best things about Eschalon is that boss battles are pretty much balanced. Bosses are harder than usual, but not stupidly, insanely harder.

That said I'm OK with harder bosses that are not tied to the main storyline and, hence, are totally optional. Like the golem, which is the hardest boss by far.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

the level I fought the Golem...

as for challanges - infinite Dungeon in ADOM was a challange...

Eschalon is challenging at the beginning, later just Taurax war bands are somehow annoying, but later it`s easy to farm levels in the Mire (usual camping interruption is like 8xTrolls, easy kill for 2000 exp)

I loaded and tried whacking Golem in pure melee, but still had no problems beating it. 2x Haste potion , special strikes(I have all weapon perks, skills at 10) , 2x Invisibility potion, bless.

I hope for something like Infinite Dungeon or Arena in Book III
sterno
Pledge

Post by sterno »

Almost any difficult battle in the game became trivial as melee if you had an invisibility potion with you. They're a little too powerful.