Which Book II ad works best?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

Which ad would you more likely click?

I like banner #1
22%
I like banner #2
78%
I don't think either banner is effective
No votes

Total votes: 23

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Which Book II ad works best?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Penny Arcade is giving Basilisk Games a very generous advertising campaign, and we need to take advantage of it with the best banner possible. Here are two examples, please let me know which ad would YOU more likely click on?

BANNER 1:

BANNER 2:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Which Book II ad works best?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Both are cool, but I think I'd more likely click the second one. The first has more of a Cthulu/monsterfest feel, where the second is the lone adventurer in the wilderness.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I agree - go with Banner #2.

(Though I like the "Looking for a Challenge?" tag from Banner #1 better - maybe shift that over to Banner #2 in place of "Download the Free Demo"?...)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

I will hop on the bandwagon and say that I prefer #2. I can't help but think that maybe it'd be more effective without the text on the left, though I suppose the "free demo" angle is a good one to get out there. :)

Anyway, congrats on the PA advertisements, hope those bring in a lot of traffic!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I ran both of these banners through Google earlier this year for 2 weeks. Banner #1 got more clicks, but I don't know if it sold more games.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Here's a new one, based on a bit of feedback....
banner_3.jpg
banner_3.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
Opinions?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Ah, nifty. I like the banner for the demo rather than the "plain" text. I think having an "in-game" background like this new one and #2 is preferrable to a disassociated Mortikus, as in #1 (or is that Vaxia?).

Then again, I may not be the best person to be going off on what I think is more effective, given that my own skills in design involve a lot of black text on a plain white background. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Here's a new one, based on a bit of feedback....
banner_3.jpg
Opinions?
This one's probably the best, so far.

I must say, there's something to recommend the snowy background of the first banner. But this new one actually shows in-game "action", which is probably better still.

Either stick with #3, or see if you can dig up a snowy scene where, say, an archer is surrounded by Snow Wolves in Nor'land, and see if that's better than Banner #3...

(All, IMHO, of course! :) )
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I like #3 best of all, yes. It shows the lone hero, the action, the quality of the graphics. The little "free demo" banner-in-banner is nice and more effective. Looks like a good ad to me.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

#3 indeed

Funny how #1 had more clicks when everyone (myself included) seems to love #2 more. I guess that DnD homage mob is what makes them click, but it's the worst design wise IMO (that beast needs more space around! everything feels too packed!).
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

#3 looks the best.

It manages to get most of the aspects you want to convey in the banner.

Actual in-game graphics, with some action, is always good to see in an ad for a game.

Definately keep the "free demo" part in the corner. Better than just text.

Good job as usual! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I didn't vote cause #3 choice wasn't there. :) Of the first two, I'd pick #2 because the first one looks like a kill, kill, kill dungeon run. The second implys an adventurer with quests. I like the 3rd, as I mentioned, best due to the adventure by himself who has fights but that isn't all of the game and implys much more with the art work looking beautiful.

Just my 2 coppers worth. :roll:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Here's a new one, based on a bit of feedback....
banner_3.jpg
Opinions?
Oh Wow....i definitely like that one!!!! very cool!
#3 all the way!
Never trust a grinning DM!!
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I ran both of these banners through Google earlier this year for 2 weeks. Banner #1 got more clicks, but I don't know if it sold more games.
I think you might be onto something. The people that would click that first banner MIGHT be more the type that play WOW and DDO and other such games....I myself have a DDO account. However...once they click on it and see the game i think they would then wonder off. The other 2 adds...especially #3 show more of what to expect...more in that small graphic of what kind of game it is....and it's my belief (though i'm no expert in the field) that would equate out to MORE actual paying customers in the end.
Never trust a grinning DM!!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yeah, #3. Best by far.

With #2, I was thinking... nice atmosphere, but... missing something. I'm imagining that people unfamiliar with the game who see that might be thinking: "Eh... a guy with a bow walking on a white surface... so?" The first one screams: "This game has an eyebeast in it!" But the third shows actual gameplay, which shows the viewer precisely what sort of game it is and why you should find it fun if you find these kinds of games fun. ("This guy's in a pickle!") ...Plus the little "Play the Demo" banner is a good fix; I was willing to suggest taking out the "play the free demo" line completely, thinking it's really sort of implied -- I mean, if I click on an interesting-looking game banner it's 1. to see what the game is like, and 2. to see if there's a demo. Any way you slice the thing: if it looks interesting they'll click; if they click they'll see if there is or isn't a demo.

...And, also: all demos are free. I'm glad you got rid of the word "free" because I was going to mention that as well.

Anyhow: 'Tis a nice-looking banner. Me likey much. Hurray, hurray!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.