Magic is a little bit imba

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Donleon
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Magic is a little bit imba

Post by Donleon »

Played Meele before... with my second "playthrough" i tryied out mage... It was much more easy than meele... After 2 Taurax Warrior (with meele) i had to rest because my hp were too low (had about 180 with meele)... I did about 33 damage with one attack and with mage like 64. Although i skilled heal in combination with elemental so i had many buffs and heals too and i made much damage. At late game i had a 5mana point regeneration PER ROUND. I thought that the bad thing on mages is that they need mana poitons but i had no problem with that. I never had to sleep or rest cause i regenerated so much mana. With my meele i had to sleep very long because my hp did not regeneratet so fast. Surely the enemy's had a medium-low hit chance but I too (60% aren't much i think). And magic attacks always hit :cry: So how about an pro contra list

Meele
Pro
-can survive very long even if getting hit often
-Need no mana, you can fight as long as you have enough hp
Kontra
-Don't makes much damage
-Needs good equipment
-Needs to repair his stuff
-Boring long waiting because you always have to sleep
-No buffs (maybe alchemy but that costs much)
-No "Anti-Mass Skills"
-Must go into meele combat to can make damage
Mage
Pro
-High amount of damage done
-Many Buffs even heal (you should have enough mana so you can spend some points in the heal skill)
-Does not takes damage (you have many skills for getting out of the range of enemys, even an spell what makes you take no damage from ranged attacks (90% avoid chance)
-Anti mass spells
-A high mana regeneration ( you don't have to sleep in mid game)
-Many spells with what you don't need to spend points in normally based things (spells like lockmelt,trapkill,portal)
Kontra
-Does not survives getting damage longer (that does not happen if you play ok)
-If you are sorrounded by enemies that often means death

Pls reply, say if something is wrong/add something
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Magic is a little bit imba

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Donleon, with Melee, were you making use of the different combat modes and the benefit of the weapon feats? Also, did you get your END as high as you got your PER for the Mage? The secret to success with a melee character really is in judicious use of the combat modes, particularly Power mode when using feats (Since you can't miss with most feats, the -30% to hit doesn't matter).

My different melee characters have never had a particular problem with taking too much damage. Early on, I do a lot of running in circles waiting for the Feat to refresh, but later I just pound.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Donleon
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Donleon »

Hm with mage i had perception at lvl 25 not very high so. But with my meele i had endourance at lvl 45... i only skilled meditation very high so that i could spend my attribute points in int and wisdom. maybe i should have skilled with my meele medecine because that seems to be the same as meditation just for hp... I used the skill feat always with power mode but the problem was that i had piercing weapons. They don't do as much damage as an axe and the feat isn't so good as written.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

An additional 'Kontra' for melee is being susceptible to disease, from mice, rats, salamanders and maybe some others (undead?). Can buy a potion, of course, but if that means missing out something like a skillbook due to limited gold, it is still a kontra.

Interesting to mention here is also that someone - by the nick of Sade, if I'm not mistaken - has managed to play and finish the game as a level I mage (simply never hit the level-up button to stay at level I for the whole game). It must have been a tedious affair, though, due to ridiculous amounts of resting, but I don't think anyone would even dream of attempting this with a level I warrior.
Donleon wrote:maybe i should have skilled with my meele medecine because that seems to be the same as meditation just for hp... I used the skill feat always with power mode but the problem was that i had piercing weapons. They don't do as much damage as an axe and the feat isn't so good as written.
I don't think I would make a priority of either Medicine or Meditation. Some of it boils down to playing style, but Divination Magick and Alchemy can both complement warrior skills well, and both skills you can make a good start in by visiting a trainer, so no need to invest many hard earned experience points, like with Medicine.
The special weapon feat of Piercing Weapons is better than that of Cleaving Weapons (Axe). Double Strike gives an extra attack per round, Great Cleave hits every target next to you, but you should avoid having more than one enemy breathing in your neck in this game, even with Great Cleave.
Only with Masterful Riposte - the sword special feat - you can accept a few enemies around you, because with that feat they don't hit you, but you're hitting all of them back with your riposte. With Great Cleave the plus of being able to hit more than one enemy at a time doesn't make up for leaving yourself vulnerable to more than one hit back - unless your enemy's hitpoints are already so depleted that you know not more than one will still be standing after you've hit out first. :wink:
Axes will probably do more base damage than knives and such, yeah, there you're probably right.
And Piercing Weapons doesn't have a trainer, that might actually be the biggest disadvantage.
Donleon
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Donleon »

Surely the great cleave feat isn't too usefull, but the thing was that i wanted to play a real assasin. I spend points in hide in shadows,picking locks and alchemy (for poision but my skill feat needed too long to regenerate.. about 10 rounds. and in this 10 rounds i tried to make damage with my weapon because it is realy annoying to run away from enemys only for your skill feat. Although if you would fight with that against the rock golem or trolls you wouldn't have any chance because their good regeneration(cause your normal attack damage is way lower then other weapons) . But i think i played good and didn't spend points in these skills without learning the max level at their teachers (was very expensive but i had luck at finding items and i realy looked evrywhere if i haven't forget somthing oh btw i collected all wolf pelts that was hard work because they were so heavy). But i was sad as i saw that a mage only had to skill elemental to open EVERY lock and disarm every trap because i wastet much time (and money) for searching for traps and trying opening high level locks... (alchemy was it realy worth to spend points in because the hardened armor spell)
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Maybe you somehow missed the best Piercing Weapons, because their base damage isn't that much lower than that of other weapons.
Did you look under the Ironpool Dam, or have you visited the blacksmith in the Dwarven village to see what he's got?

The supporting attributes of Piercing Weapons are Dexterity and Speed. Dexterity also helps lock picking, so I hope you been manically pumping that up - I believe Dexterity also helps your defense rating, so that would become your primary attribute.

Once you get Hide in Shadows to level 10 - 15 or so, it becomes very strong, enemies don't see you anymore and start milling around while you continue to hit them. Cat's Eyes helps a lot here, and I would strongly recommend boosting your brightness in the game settings, as it's such a pain otherwise to play in the pitch dark.

Disarming traps and Lock picking are indeed skills that require a big investment in skill points, while not even giving you access that warriors and mages don't have - they do it the 'easy' way. These rogue skills are more a kind of 'hobby', I would normally invest in them, though, because it's more fun.
Donleon
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Donleon »

hmpf got that spear from that undead town before.. yes was nice extra damage but i think i didn't skilled dex enough. i made the mistake to take heavy armor what requires much strenght so i wastet 'bout 14 points there. but i think it would be a great addition if you can wear 2 one-handed weapons. The double strike feat would be much more powerfull and then piercing weapons should have another buff too if you wear them in both hands because it would be hard to wear 2 swords instead of 2 dagger's cause they are much more lighter (maybe you only can wear dagger's in both hands) maybe another skill for book 2 "double handed" or somthing like that :roll: don't know how you would call that
Jumping Jack
Initiate

Post by Jumping Jack »

Sounds like your melee build wasn't quite optimal. With piercing weapons, pumping dexterity gives damage, to hit and armor, and strength is a waste. (Also the spear in the undead village is quite good but you can find a better one later in the game)

Your weapon skill wasn't high enough. 32 gives you minimum cooldown on the weapon feat, 5 turns. Every two points of weapon skill also gives +1 to hit (which translates to +3%).

With a proper melee build you don't need to rest for long times because you regen 1 hp/turn and enemies don't hit you all that much. Alchemy is essential though, +3 on all armor pieces means +21 armor in total for a -42% to hit for the enemies. Alchemy also gives healing, haste and invisibility for tough fights so you don't need magic at all.