When should I leave?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

When should I leave?

Post by Vroqren »

I'm a level 18 warrior, and I've been camping out just north of Edon to farm experience with the Harpy's. This is my first time through the game, so I was wondering whether you guys think I'm ready to head to Picaroon Isle, or if I should keep training for a bit. I believe I am well equipped, but again - unsure. I have mostly steel, and Tungsten with the exception of my Mithril Great Sword. Any help available would be appreciated, but I don't want any spoilers. Thanks!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: When should I leave?

Post by Vroqren »

Thanks for the advice, I'll heed it. I'm ready to slay the heck out of some Taurax.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Take some water with you!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I would, but I'm going cheap for my first time through - not using water or food. My next game will do that though. The problem I ran into the first time I tried, as a mage was that stores didn't have enough food - I kept getting dehydrated... etc.

KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Whether you find the food and water requirement tough will mostly depend on how tough you find the game in general.
I mean, if you find fights tough, so that you need to rest a lot and things take longer, then you'll need more food as a consequence.
But if the game in general becomes easier and you can do without resting then you can get by with the food you find. A couple of points in Forestry help, though. And there are so many wells that I often found a waterskin to be a luxury I could live without.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Interesting and useful. My next time through the game, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

KillingMoon wrote:Whether you find the food and water requirement tough will mostly depend on how tough you find the game in general.
I mean, if you find fights tough, so that you need to rest a lot and things take longer, then you'll need more food as a consequence.
But if the game in general becomes easier and you can do without resting then you can get by with the food you find. A couple of points in Forestry help, though. And there are so many wells that I often found a waterskin to be a luxury I could live without.
I think you mean Foraging. ;-) Yes, aside from the ability to gather reagents, Foraging can really slow the rate at which you need to actively eat and drink.

I will note (without too much spoilerishness, I think) that having high elemental resistance will be very helpful in Amireth as it was in the Fathamurk dungeon (if you've done that).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =21&t=4907 No, I haven't done Fathermurk. Anyway, if you mean fire resistant armor, because of the lava - I found that out the hard way. I read somewhere on the forums that fire resistant armor would help for Fathermurk, so I bought some "Fire resistant Bronze chain legs" When I found out that I couldn't go into Fathermurk, I sold them. When I got to Amerith, I found the lava, but it doesn't really matter anymore. In fact, I think I waited a bit too long to leave - it's not exactly a challenge. For two main reason: 1. My repair skill is high enough that me camping overnight will repair all items to almost perfect from less than a fifth of the bar left, and 2. My Endurance is ridiculously high, so that even when I'm poisoned, I camp and I gain health. I can gain 200+ health overnight when I'm camping.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Amusingly, Fire resistant pants and boots aren't very helpful because they increase your fire resistance, but they still burn up. Three or four steps and your boots are gone, three or four more and your pants are gone.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Haste is extremely helpful. Also, high level boots and pants last a whole lot longer than cheap duds. The only way to prance through the lava is to rest and repair every time you have to wade through the stuff. Also, someone had the great idea of setting a portal right outside the lava fields. So, you wade in and portal out - wish I had thought of that :oops: