what's your favorite class in book II

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

what's your favorite class in book II

Post by Saxon1974 »

I played a ranger in book I but want to try something different in book II. Something a bit challenging. Suggestions?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: what's your favorite class in book II

Post by Painted Lady »

I think Rogues are a tough class to play. They are usually my biggest challenge. All of the points in Hide in Shadows, Move Silently and Pick Locks mean there aren't many resources left for offensive abilities. It's a lot of fun.....
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

I like rogue skills like Pick Locks and Skulduggery, instead of having to bash every door or chest open or walk blindly in every trap, but I'm not very class-conscious, meaning I don't see much point in investing a lot of points in Move Silently just because I'm a rogue; I think I can do without that skill.
A rogue is indeed reasonably challenging, because besides Pick locks and Skulduggery also Hide in Shadows and some Spot Hidden are handy to have, so that's quite a few points to invest, and there are no trainers for these skills, well, there's one awkward trainer for Pick Locks - I don't remember if he trains other things as well - but there are some cons to this trainer.

For all offensive abilities there is a trainer, they're all fairly easy to find and for some money will teach you they're specialization to a reasonable degree, and I didn't find money all that difficult to come by, so I guess I didn't have Painted Lady's problem.
I find Swords the nicest weapon skill, it's got a cool special feat. I don't know if a rogue with a sword makes sense but that would be my personal favourite character.
Last edited by KillingMoon on May 3rd, 2011, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

For Book II the "easiest" classes are elemental mage and ranger. Both have great ranged offensive capability. Melee fighters provide a really interesting set of challenges, and rogues are the most difficult (for the reasons Painted Lady pointed out).

Even more than in Book I, there are some places in Book II where tactics and strategies are exceedingly important, especially when you're playing a close-combat type character.

Oh, correcting Killing Moon, there is no trainer for piercing weapons or unarmed combat. The trainer for Pick Locks also trains Skulduggery and Hide In Shadows, I believe (I've never used him for such, but I think those are the things he teaches).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Yeah you're right, thanks for the correction, Kreador Freeaxe.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I thought the most challenging class in Book I was Healer (esp. if you focus on offensive spell casting, over defensive & 'buff' spellcasting combined with melee fighting).

I haven't tried one yet in Book II, so I don't know if Healer is still the "hardest" class to play...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There is no trainer for Skulldugery. It was for Silent Movement.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:There is no trainer for Skulldugery. It was for Silent Movement.
Thanks, Randomizer. I knew there were three things, but I couldn't remember what they were. As I said, never actually used him as a trainer.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
WorBlux
Apprentice

Post by WorBlux »

My favorite play though was as a troll.

35 of skills into unarmed, 30 into medicine. 15 into dodge

80% of stats into endurance. (over 400 HP by the end of the game)

ended up with 99% resistances,

Strategy was to just go in and start bashing monsters over the head, if hp dropped below 100 run behind a door.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't think of Healer and Rogue as real classes. To me, what distinguishes Eschalon characters is how they deal with combat - deal damage with bow, spell, melee attack, or (god forbid) thrown weapon; or avoid with hide in shadows, invisibility, or running real fast. How they deal with the minor issues of seeing in the dark, opening locked containers, not getting killed by traps, and not starving to death adds a little extra variety, but not nearly as much.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'm going to go with a close range melee character with healing abilities or maybe alchemy skills. I might add pick locks too.

I tend to not play pure rogues as I like some of their skills but always skulking around and such doesnt appeal to me all the time.