Finished

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Finished

Post by Vroqren »

I bought Book II about a year ago, and played a bit at first. After a while, I sorta got bored of it though. Recently I resumed my character. I just finished the game for the very first time. Here are my opinions/questions.

What I liked
I absolutely loved the final cut scene. It was certainly more intense than the final cut scene of Book I. I also really like the graphics. They were spectacular, I really liked the different graphics for chests, armor, and Taurax. The large number of quests. That was a great way for me to get experience early on. I also like the variety in the quests, and how some could have different outcomes according to decisions made. The large number of maps, and larger maps. This was great, as it left me with much more to explore. I had fun traveling from somewhere lush, to somewhere completely white, even to somewhere with lava and volcanoes. The new skills, and stats. I really enjoyed having the different challenges such as the requirement of food and water (Though I didn't have that on this time through). I also liked having armor degrade, and the "repair" skill, which let you fix it. The variety in monsters helped improve the game for me. I've always been the kind of guy who kills every enemy, or sometimes every single NPC in the game. The last thing I really liked, was the better Hit Points system. At the end of Book I, I was lucky if my character had 150 Health. At the end of Book II, I had 300 Health. My endurance was so high, that every single turn I gained 1 health. Fighting General Ghorr was easy, because I simply had him walk through the lava while my skill feat recharged. Every once in a while he'd hit me, but by the next time he hit me, I had full health again.

Questions
Was there a sword somewhere that I simply missed, equivalent to the "Divine Ore Great Sword" in Book I? There seemed to be a lot of "great weapons" such as Hexedge, or Hellrime, bit I never found one sword that was obviously the best or something.
What are the bells for? I remember finding 3 of them, the blue one, green one, and yellow one. I never used them, or found any more.
Will the other all 4 Crux be part of Book III? I really enjoyed the idea of there being 4 total, and that we got to work with 2 in Book II.
What was supposed to be the hardest monster to fight? Not like "General Ghorr", but rather a monster that you might find while camping, or else a monster that there are 20+ in the entire game.
Is there a map editor for Macs (non-Intel)? I've seen some pictures from the map editors, and would like to try a bit of this myself.
What's in the chests on the third floor of Lorewitch? They told me that if I didn't steal from them, they'd leave me alone. I was only level 8 or so when I went there, so I took there advice. Is it just random loot like most chests, or were there designated items or weapons?
Was there some advantage to killing Darus's assassin other than the quest experience and the experience for killing him?

I was going to put Rants here, but I realized that I can only think of one thing I didn't like, and that didn't need an entire section. The one thing was how limited Hellice Lake was. It only had 5-6 regions. That's not a huge deal, but I would have liked to explore it more. It's the same case with Amerith.

Cheers.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Finished

Post by Randomizer »

Vroqren wrote:What are the bells for? I remember finding 3 of them, the blue one, green one, and yellow one. I never used them, or found any more.
Take all 4 bells to a certain place and get lots of experience. Like the Easter Eggs of Book 1
What's in the chests on the third floor of Lorewitch? They told me that if I didn't steal from them, they'd leave me alone. I was only level 8 or so when I went there, so I took there advice. Is it just random loot like most chests, or were there designated items or weapons?
There are two chests in Lorewitch with fixed items: a bell and a named sword. There rest are random
Was there some advantage to killing Darus's assassin other than the quest experience and the experience for killing him?
No, except he won't fight you for stealing his bow in the chest in the corner. The bow gets better the higher level you are.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Vroqren wrote: Was there a sword somewhere that I simply missed, equivalent to the "Divine Ore Great Sword" in Book I? There seemed to be a lot of "great weapons" such as Hexedge, or Hellrime, bit I never found one sword that was obviously the best or something.
The named sword is pretty good, but the "best" weapon of any type is probably just the best kind you can buy in a store enchanted with 3 alchemical enhancements.
Will the other all 4 Crux be part of Book III? I really enjoyed the idea of there being 4 total, and that we got to work with 2 in Book II.
I don't think BW has made any official statements, but I'd be kind of surprised if they weren't.
What was supposed to be the hardest monster to fight? Not like "General Ghorr", but rather a monster that you might find while camping, or else a monster that there are 20+ in the entire game.
Probably one of the Tauraxes - either the legionnaire or the spearmaster, depending on your character build. The toughest overall are definitely the unique ones - the golem, Ghorr, and Jawbreaker.
Is there a map editor for Macs (non-Intel)? I've seen some pictures from the map editors, and would like to try a bit of this myself.
Yes, developed by our own xolotl - see http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

It's not exactly a one-click install, though. You'll probably need to mess with MacPorts and the Terminal. If that doesn't sound like fun to you, you might want to give it a pass.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Vroqren wrote: Was there a sword somewhere that I simply missed, equivalent to the "Divine Ore Great Sword" in Book I? There seemed to be a lot of "great weapons" such as Hexedge, or Hellrime, bit I never found one sword that was obviously the best or something.
SpottedShroom wrote:The named sword is pretty good, but the "best" weapon of any type is probably just the best kind you can buy in a store enchanted with 3 alchemical enhancements.
Alright - Sounds good - I never bothered to enchant my weapons for my first time through, because I was more interested in putting skills points into "Weapons Swords" Though I'm not sure just how much that did.
SpottedShroom wrote:I don't think BW has made any official statements, but I'd be kind of surprised if they weren't.
Ok, I sort of assumed that but I wasn't sure yet.
SpottedShroom wrote:Probably one of the Tauraxes - either the legionnaire or the spearmaster, depending on your character build. The toughest overall are definitely the unique ones - the golem, Ghorr, and Jawbreaker.
The legionnaires were easy for me - the spearmasters were only challenging when there was more than one at a time. I don't remember a golem or Jawbreaker, so I guess I didn't do enough side quests...
SpottedShroom wrote:Yes, developed by our own xolotl - see http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

It's not exactly a one-click install, though. You'll probably need to mess with MacPorts and the Terminal. If that doesn't sound like fun to you, you might want to give it a pass.
Ok - I'm sure my brother can help me with this later on.

Thanks for the responses guys!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

If you have not met the golem yet, you should do so now. BW posted an extension to Book II called "The Secret of Fathamurk." Your character needs to be over Level 15 to survive. The entrance to the map is in the cave system next to the Farrock Monolith. It is an amazing and difficult adventure. Have fun!

P.S. Take plenty of food, water, potions and arrows (if you use them). It is a tough slog....
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Ah - I remember reading about this. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier my computer is not Intel, and cannot run the version required for Fathermurk. A pitty, but I can't do anything about it until I get a better computer. Luckily, this might be a bit sooner than I previously thought.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Jawbreaker the blacksmith is also in the Farrock caves. He guards some good loot, including imbuing alchemy recipes and an axe (?) that scales with your level. Depending on what level you are when you fight him, he can be pretty challenging.