Question re: freezing to death

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
rayres2007
Pledge

Question re: freezing to death

Post by rayres2007 »

I am wondering how I protect myself from freezing damage from cold WEATHER. I took a trip up to Dunmore for the first time and while in town I nearly froze to death! I don't want to carry around extra armour to add a bit to my resistance.

Thanks

Rob
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Question re: freezing to death

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Higher Endurance, Potion of Greater Protection, Element Armor spell, or armors with higher elemental resistance. Those are the things you can do to deal with the freezing if you're actually out walking in a blizzard. You can also use the caravan guy to get you to Durnore the first time so that you can use the quick travel beacon in future.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

You can also go to the Inn and spend the night. The storm will blow over while you are resting.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Blizzards are a fairly uncommon phenomenon. As above, increasing your elemental resist will help you survive one, but you're usually better off seeking shelter and waiting for it to be over. At no point should you be too far from something with a roof.
Lysippe
Apprentice

Post by Lysippe »

Well, you can carry around more of the life red force potion. What I really wish they had, though, is cups of coffee you could buy when you get food.
Cairn
Initiate

Post by Cairn »

What they should have done was add cold weather clothing that is heavier than normal clothing, cannot be worn with armor, provides 2 or 3 light armor protection just because of how thick it would have to be, and perhaps even causes minor penalties to combat abilities because lets face it, it's hard to move around in thick cold-weather coats, pants, face pieces, gloves and boots, and it certainly penalizes ones dexterity and speed substantially, and even our view. And for cold weather like that, we're talking, I imagine, spit freezing before it hits the ground type of cold. The kind of cold that if you take off anything, even gloves, you immediately start losing sensation.

And so far the blizzard has happened to me twice, and I just got out there. Both times was when I was camping in order to heal from fighting because this game is severely lacking in health potions and in willow bark, so I can't exactly make but a very few health potions every so often, and that requires camping . . . which in turn causes blizzards to happen. So, basically I'm at the town, but I can't go anywhere except fast travel back and aimlessly wander around some more till I reach a higher level. I suppose I can try to fight the beetles again now that I bought that magick resistance amulet.

Oh, and they should also have done 1080p instead of sticking us with only 768. Increasingly enemies are seeing me before I see them in spite of having a hide in shadows at level 10. But it feels like a few more levels twice, and hide in shadows will finally become useful.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Cairn wrote:Oh, and they should also have done 1080p instead of sticking us with only 768.
When Book 1 launched in 2007, the gaming scene was very different than it is now. There were no tablets or smartphones back then. Computer displays were predominately 4:3 CRTs, and even the few LCDs that were available were not widescreen formatted. Indie gaming was in its infancy and the market was uncluttered. Eschalon: Book 1 was right at home in this market, and it sold very well to gamers who were tired of the path that mainstream RPGs had taken over the previous decade.

However, between 2007 and the launch of Book 2 in 2010, things changed dramatically. Many people had dropped their old CRT monitors in favor of a 16:9 wide-screen LCDs, yet others still clung to their old, beloved square CRT displays. This was a problem because the Eschalon game engine (which I was committed to reusing for all three games) used a fixed resolution with bitmap sprites. It was not particularly flexible and trying to make the game look good on these different displays was difficult. Although I did increase the native engine resolution up to 1024×768, I did not adjust it to a 16:9 format which was probably my single biggest mistake at that time of Book 2‘s development.

The most dramatic change between 2007 and 2010 was that indie gaming had exploded during this time. When Book 1 launched, we had all the media coverage we could want. The game was featured in mainstream gaming magazines and websites, and not a week went by that I wasn’t asked to give an interview or write an article about the development of the game. But by Book 2‘s launch in 2010, we were just another indie game among hundreds, and our fixed resolution engine no longer looked as good to gamers who were accustomed to seeing high-resolution 3D graphics. I had to work much harder at promoting the second game, which ate into the first year of my development time on Book 3.

Of course, by the time Book 3 launched in February 2014, the indie game scene had become an out-of-control monster. The market is now over-saturated, with dozens of indie games coming out weekly. This has driven the sale price of indie games to an all-time low, and even then, many customers will wait for the 50 percent discount that they can expect over the summer and holiday sale drives. It seems that as the indie scene grows more popular with the mainstream gamer, “niche genre” games are pushed further out of the spotlight for games that feature tried and true, familiar elements. And remember that mistake I had made in not converting Book 2‘s engine into widescreen format back in 2010? In 2014, many gamers refused to even try Book 3, citing the lack of widescreen support to be too jarring to be able to enjoy the game.
You can read the rest here but I'd leave it Cairn until you finish Eschalon: Book III.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Cairn
Initiate

Post by Cairn »

Don't get me wrong, the game definitely has entertainment to it. I actually liked the first one better though I think. It seemed to keep me interested, where as book II is off and on. For example, there is an option for a passive playthrough accomplishment. But looking at the Hammerlorne mines, I simply didn't want to kill the the innocent dwarves protecting their own property from trespassers. But I found that to be near impossible unless I just wanted to run past them and faster than them, but that just feels so cheap. They should have made it so that there was a challenge, but not an impossible challenge to get through there and take what you need without getting caught. To this end, hide in shadows and move silent should have been more effective at lower levels. Perhaps not as effective as they were in Book I because admittedly, though enjoyable, it was a bit odd that I could hit an enemy several times before they realized I was there and fought back, and then all I had to do was simply move to the next square. But in Book II so far it seems they went to the other extreme and made hiding in shadows near useless till you get that skill to about 10 and up, and then only from a distance. I loved pretending in Book I that my character was so good at hiding that he could just disappear into the night right in front of you. I expect that you can do that in Book II, but I'm probably going to have to get Hide in Shadows to like level 25 and up before that might be able to happen.

Oh, and one other thing. This might be an indie game, but it does not feel like an indie game. Like I said above, it feels like something one would find on the shelves of a Game Stop or Best Buy or Walmart. Maybe not the $60 ones, but perhaps the 10 to 20 dollar ones. For example, today I could imagine a collection of all three combined with any DLC's and the editor for around $20 being a fair price. It could be named the something pack. Now I don't know if it would sell at that price, but the quality of the game in how well it runs, the impressive lack of glitches, the content, and the intuitiveness of the controls creates the quality of this game. You can tell they took the time to ensure that the things they implemented were done right.