Books, trainers and lvlups

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
explorer
Pledge

Books, trainers and lvlups

Post by explorer »

Hi all.
I play first time, and has noticed that lvlups not only way to up your skills. There also books and trainers. Then I thought, number of lvlups are limited. But amount of gold i can get is unlimited, in theory. So i search internet for any clue how to use this most effectively. So, what i could find.

Trainers can lvlup your skills till lvl 8. Is this right?
Books. I found nothing about them. All I know is that they up skill by 1, if it has not been studied yet, and by 2, if it had studied. But are they affected same limitation as trainers, i.e. after lvl 8 they useless? Or i can reach lvl 8 and then read the book and get lvl 10?
There only 1 type of book for each skill, or later i can find new type of book for same skill that lvlup it once more?

And 1 more thing i found while searching. People say that the cartography gives the max effect at level 7, and there no reason to lvlup it more. Thats true?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Books, trainers and lvlups

Post by Painted Lady »

explorer wrote:Hi all.
Books. I found nothing about them. All I know is that they up skill by 1, if it has not been studied yet, and by 2, if it had studied. But are they affected same limitation as trainers, i.e. after lvl 8 they useless? Or i can reach lvl 8 and then read the book and get lvl 10?
There only 1 type of book for each skill, or later i can find new type of book for same skill that lvlup it once more?

And 1 more thing i found while searching. People say that the cartography gives the max effect at level 7, and there no reason to lvlup it more. Thats true?
Books
If you do not have a skill the book will give you the skill at level 1. If you already have a skill (at any level) the book will add 2 levels. So, you are normally better off to add a skill when you do a normal Level Up, then read the book for that skill (which then will get you to level 3).

Once you have read the book for a skill, there are no more levels to be gained from books.

Trainers
They can train you to level 8 and no further. Reading the book after you have been trained to level 8 would take you to level 10.

Cartography
After about level 7 there aren't huge gains to be made in cartography. Technically speaking you do gain the ability to see more things on your mini-map, but they probably won't affect your game play.
explorer
Pledge

Post by explorer »

Tnx, this is exactly what I wish to know.

And 1 more thing. I can learn only few skills from trainers. And there no dodge in this list. But recently I found a book that lvlup my dodge. So i can find books for every skill in the game?

If so, then that's great. Rise skill to lvl 1 cost 3 points, then book adds 2 points = 3 in total. But if read book 1st we still gain lvl 1 and got 3 points to spend = 4 in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:
explorer wrote:Hi all.

Books
If you do not have a skill the book will give you the skill at level 1. If you already have a skill (at any level) the book will add 2 levels. So, you are normally better off to add a skill when you do a normal Level Up, then read the book for that skill (which then will get you to level 3).

Once you have read the book for a skill, there are no more levels to be gained from books.

Trainers
They can train you to level 8 and no further. Reading the book after you have been trained to level 8 would take you to level 10.

Cartography
After about level 7 there aren't huge gains to be made in cartography. Technically speaking you do gain the ability to see more things on your mini-map, but they probably won't affect your game play.
Two points: 1) at level 17 cartography you gain the really special ability to see creatures on the map within a given range, even if you cannot yet see them on your screen.

2) As Explorer figured out himself, if there's no trainer for a skill, it's best to read the book before adding levels at level-up (as the book gives you the skill for the equivalent of 2 points rather than 3).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
2) As Explorer figured out himself, if there's no trainer for a skill, it's best to read the book before adding levels at level-up (as the book gives you the skill for the equivalent of 2 points rather than 3).
Well, that depends on how many points you plan on eventually expending on the skill.

If you spend 3 Level Up points to gain the skill, then read the book, you are at level 3 and have only spent 3 points.

If you read the book first, you gain the skill, but now will have to spend 3 Level Up points two times to get to the same point (for a cost of 6).
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

explorer wrote:Tnx, this is exactly what I wish to know.

And 1 more thing. I can learn only few skills from trainers. And there no dodge in this list. But recently I found a book that lvlup my dodge. So i can find books for every skill in the game?

If so, then that's great. Rise skill to lvl 1 cost 3 points, then book adds 2 points = 3 in total. But if read book 1st we still gain lvl 1 and got 3 points to spend = 4 in total.
There are books for almost all the skills.

There is a complete list of books here:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3144
explorer
Pledge

Post by explorer »

Painted Lady wrote:If you spend 3 Level Up points to gain the skill, then read the book, you are at level 3 and have only spent 3 points.

If you read the book first, you gain the skill, but now will have to spend 3 Level Up points two times to get to the same point (for a cost of 6).
Looks like i miss something importantImage

I have a book, 6 saved point from 2 lvlups and 1 unlearned skill.

I use 3 points to rise skill, then read book, then spend 3 more points.
1+2+3=6
If i read book 1st, i gain lvl 1. If i spent 3 lvlup points 2 times it must be 1+3+3=7

If so, reading books the best way to start skill, if it cannot be learned for money. Cuz you always get 1 extra point.
Or something wrong? :roll:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Painted Lady wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Well, that depends on how many points you plan on eventually expending on the skill.

If you spend 3 Level Up points to gain the skill, then read the book, you are at level 3 and have only spent 3 points.

I think you got confused somewhere, Painted Lady. Why would you have to spend all three points to gain one point in a skill you already have? You only pay three level-up points for a skill to go from 0 to 1, or you pay a trainer 100 gold, or you read a book. Those are the three ways to gain a skill. Once you have the skill, it's 1 level-up point per level.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Yikes! I really blew that one.......
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Painted Lady wrote:Yikes! I really blew that one.......
Blame it on not enough coffee. That always works for me.
---