Eschalon: Book II Walkthrough

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren » May 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm

I can only claim credit for the writing of this, as I had tons of help from people while creating this, and some people didn't even know they were helping me. I am proud to present my official Book II Walkthrough!

Warning: This guide is full of spoilers! I suggest you only use this if you absolutely have no idea what to do.
This is not the only way to beat the game, but simply a rapid way to rush through it. If you wish for another tutorial on a specific area, PM me with a subject of: Book II additions, and I’ll see what I can do.

This guide contains:
-Controls
1. Walking
2. Inventory
3. Saving/Loading
4. Equipping your character
5. Camping
6. Levels
-Main Quest
X. World Map
1. Going to Darus
2. The Looking Glass
3. To Port Kuudad
4. Crius Vindica
5. Crux of Fire
6. From Edon to Amireth
7. Talushorn
-Bonus Areas
Westwillow
Thieves Arcadia
Lorewitch
Fathamurk
-Bells
1. Cerulescent Bell
2. Virescent Bell
3. Lutescent Bell
4. Rubescent Bell
5. Getting the bonus
-Side Quests and more coming soon!

Controls
Walking
Once you begin, you’ll want to know how to move. There are two options. You can click with your cursor and hold it down. Then move it in the direction you want to walk. If you are too lazy to click, press the ‘W’ key to have the walk setting held on.
Inventory
Again, there are two ways to open your inventory to access your items. You can either click on the chest down on the bottom of the screen, or press the hotkey: ‘I’.
Saving/Loading
You can save your progress at any point during the game. To do so, click on the floppy disk* near the inventory chest, and the click save. After that, either click on an empty slot and type what you want to save that moment as, or simply hit “Quicksave” To load a game, go to the options menu (The floppy disk*) and click load. This will open your saved games.
*You can also open this menu by hitting “ESC”
Equipping your character
The hotkey to open your character equipment screen is ‘E’, but you can also click on the brown man in the bar of options near the bottom of the screen. If you press the hotkey ‘X’ your Inventory, Equipment menu, and character stats will all open.
Camping
During the game, you may find yourself low on hitpoints, or it may simply become night time. If you don’t want to pay to sleep at an inn, or walk all the way to a bed, try camping. The area around you must be fairly clear to camp. You cannot camp with enemies too close to you. The hotkey for camping is C, and then hit R to start ‘resting’ from there. You can do this, or click on the campfire to start camping.
Levels
There are many different skills to choose from. When you gain enough experience, the + on the bar of options will start flashing green. At this point, you can click on it, and you will be given 3 skill points, and 3 attribute points. Skills increase your ability to do a skill you have selected (Weapons, Swords), while attributes are more general, increasing how well you do that thing (Strength).

Main Quest
X. World Map
Here is a world map for you throughout your journey.
1. Going to Darus
You start out in your house. The first thing you want to do is open your chest of drawers, next to your bed. There is a key in here. Clicking on it should add it to your key ring. Once you have that, go open your chests. Inside, you will find some equipment that may be useful later. If you have enabled the requirement for hunger and water, make sure you fill up your water skin in the well south of your house. Now go out of your house, but this time to the North. There will be something important on the ground. Read the letter, and it will tell you to head to Darus. Keep walking North. You will be attacked by some rats – it’s ok, just kill them, or avoid them. When you see a building, head a little further north, until you see a sign. Clicking on this sign will add it to your Quick-Travel Menu. Clicking on the white box* in the top right hand corner of your screen will open that Menu.
*If you have the Cartography skill, the box will have a map of your currently explored area in it.
Now, head into the town, to the Inn, south of the church and north of the magic shop. Tell the inn keeper that you need to talk to Darus. Now, head up the northern most hallway until you get to the door. Open it, go inside, and talk with Darus.
2. The Looking Glass
When Darus dies, as disrespectful as it may seem, take everything from him – even from his drawers. You should find something called “Strange Viewing Glass” This is very useful later on – don’t lose it. You’re going to need to know how to use it though. So, head to the Eleanise, who lives on the western end of Eastwillow. Accept the quest from her if you’d like, but after that, ask her about the viewing glass. She should tell you to visit her father, who lives west of Eastwillow. Go to her father, two regions west, and he will tell you that you should go to Saint Gilhelm in Port Kuudad. I will explain how to get to Port Kuudad in the next chapter – just know that he will tell you it is a way to find the hideout of Crius Vindica, and can be found in the very far north part of the Port, in the library.
3. To Port Kuudad
There are a few different ways to get into Port Kuudad. After finding it, north east of Everdale, you can always use a map editor to put yourself in there, but that’s no fun at all! So – The fair ways. Probably the simplest way, is to simply pay the guards there 2000 gold. Not so easy to obtain, but easy to do. After that, would be to go and get a citizen writ. The easiest places to find these are up in broken blade, north west of Port Kuudad. There are two in there. One of them is in the locked house, and the other is in Sparrow’s house. Broken blade is very dangerous for low leveled players, so they may want to consider the longest route. This is what I did, because it takes the least effort. Head a bit south of the city, and enter the rock that has water coming out of it. You are now in the Port Kuudad sewers. Work your way north, and eventually you’ll find a staircase. This leads into Port Kuudad. Once you gain entrance to the city, I suggest heading to the center of town where you can find the pillar to add Port Kuudad to your Quick-Travel menu. After this, head North-East to find Saint Gilhelm. If you want a challenge at this point, or would like some nice loot, head to the Thieves Arcadia. If you head a little north west of the staircase that leads you out of the sewers, you’ll find four chests, and a lever. After placing certain items in the chests, and pulling the lever, you will have access to the Thieves Arcadia. This is another extremely difficult area, not for the faint of heart. This is also where the man who killed Darus lives. I suggest waiting a while before entering, because this is one of the hardest fights you would use normal means of fighting for. There are around 15 more of those soul piercer arrows though, and you way want to use those.
4. Crius Vindica
After finding out what the viewing glass does, head into the region north of Port Kuudad, called the Forsaken Coast. There will be some annoying trolls here, so low levels may want to be wary. When in this region, right click on the viewing glass, and all the stars will point to a point in the distance. If you follow them, you will eventually find the point they all lead to. When you do, click on the selectable rock, and you will enter Crius Vindica. Head North-West, and talk to Korren for a while. He will tell you that the Crux of Ages that you saved in Book I was one of four Crux, and that bringing them all together would destroy the world. (Pretty much anyway.) Well, then he sends you out to get the Crux of Fire, in the Dwarvern mine, Hammerlorne. You may also talk to Erubor, who tells you to go to Lorewitch, for potential help. If you want to feel free, it probably won’t effect the outcome of the game, though you can get some nice loot out of there. Be careful if you plan on stealing anything though.
5. Crux of Fire
You will soon head to Raven’s Gate, which can be found south west of Broken Blade. You will need a Citizen’s Writ though, so head to Broken Blade, in the region west of Crius Vindica. here you will talk to Sparrow, and need to kill her for a Hammerlorne key. Then, loot her house for a Citizen’s Writ. Head to Raven’s Gate, and present your Citizen’s Writ. If you head into their base through the door (Lock Melt level 4 does the trick nicely), there is some nice loot. Head outside, and you can ride into Durnore for a small fee. Here you can stock up, but there is nothing dire to the quest here. Head two regions west, and follow the mountain’s border. You will find a hidden door with and Adamantine lock. If you didn’t bring Sparrow’s key, you can use Lock Melt level 6, or get a different key from the room behind the Durnore city council. Hammerlorne is a challenging area, but for the most part it’s straight forward. If you want to get a more detailed guide, ask me in a PM. Once you make your way to the Crux of Fire, grab it and get out. Return to Korren in Crius Vindica, and tell him everything. He will now send you to Amireth!
6. From Edon to Amireth
Head back to Raven’s Gate, and head directly south. Following the path, you will be confronted with your first Taurax! Killing it may be hard at this level, but if you want you can just run past. Now run along the rift, where you will be attacked by multiple Rift Harpies. These are a challenging enemy, and low levels should try to run past. You will soon find a town with perhaps 3 buildings, maybe less. Enter the one with the man, and talk to him. He charges you a very hefty fee to get across, but it’s the only way across, so sorry - if you don’t have enough money, try some of the bonus areas. Once across you find yourself of Picaroon Island. This is the highest level town in terms of equipment sold, and is very conveniently places. Past this, you will find yourself on Amireth. One region south of the first region of Amireth past the bridge, is where it gets challenging.
7. Talushorn
You will soon start to see a group of Taurax every so often. Fight them if you can, but if you can’t you’re not ready for Talushorn. Head south and east as far as you can. You will soon see a heavily guarded tower. The path is extremely straight-forward from here. Be warned though - once you enter the second floor of Talushorn, there is no coming back. Talushorn is the point of no return. Well, I don’t want to spoil all the fun, so that’s about all I will tell you about the place. You’ll learn a bit of history, and a few interesting facts along the way. Congratulations in advance if you finish!

Bonus Areas
1. Westwillow
You remember how the very first town was called Eastwillow? Such a cute little town, but it has such a dark past. Head two regions west of it, and you’ll find Eleanise’s father. Remember him? He told you to find Saint Gilhelm. Well, he also tells you to go talk to a dwarf and say some magic words. Now, head east one region, (You’re still one region west of Eastwillow), and enter the dam. (The door is on the south west side of the bridge). Once in, head east and talk to the dwarf there. Say the magic words, and he’ll let you through into Westwillow. This can be a challenging area, and I suggest having at least some level of Elemental Armor. Once you’re downstairs, follow the path until you enter a new region. Now be very careful. It only gets harder from here. Work your way to about the center of the region (Easy to do with the cartography skill), and maybe a little further north. You should find the Mayor of Westwillow. Talk with him, and learn the terrible history of Westwillow. He tells you to kill the prospector. Simple enough - he is on the far south end of the region. Kill him quickly, because he starts spawning more monsters soon. There is a nice weapon in a chest all the way east of here. There’s also a bell, discussed under ‘Bells’, as number 1. head back to the mayor and tell him you killed the prospector. Congratulations, Bonus Area complete!
2. Thieves Arcadia
This is the area I mentioned underneath Port Kuudad, which presents a challenge. It is straight-forward, but extremely dangerous. Just about every step of the way is trapped, and Ninja’s jump out at every corner. You will eventually be lead to Zeblin, the man who killed Darus. Kill him if you wish, or let him train you. Then, near the beginning there is an area locked with an Adamantine lock. However you get in there, there are three chests. The combinations for the chests can be found on the table in the north-west side of the room.
3. Lorewitch
Lorewitch can be found pretty much in the middle of nowhere, though I think it’s south of Broken Blade. It is a huge tower surrounded by Sentinel Stalks. Inside the first level, there is a lever maze. Certain levers open/close certain gates. The easiest way to do it though is to open a gate, put a powder keg underneath it, and close the gate. Note that you should do this with the last gate if none of the others because it will close behind you. There is also a giant eyeball in here to kill. On the second floor, you will find a large maze with another eyeball. There are two levers hidden in the maze that open the gates required to get to the next level. There is also some nice loot hidden in chests around the maze. The third level has (In my opinion) the best sword in the game, and a bell. Don’t let them catch you stealing though.
4. Fathamurk
Fathamurk is a very high-level bonus area. I came here right before Talushorn, and barely made it out alive. Note that once you enter, there is only one way to leave, and you may never come back. For more information on Fathamurk, check out my Walkthrough for it here.

Bells
Cerulescent Bell
This bell can be found above the Prospector in Westwillow. There is a ladder leading to a small item with the bell.
Virescent Bell
This bell can be found in the second level or Lorewitch (The maze).
Lutescent Bell
This Bell can be found in one of the combination locked chests in the Thieves Arcadia.
Rubescent Bell
This bell cam be found in the second level of the Hammerlorne Mine.
Getting the bonus
Do you remember that quest that required you to wear bronze armor to enter the portal? If not, you’ll need a bronze item for 5 separate equipment slots (Weapon, gloves, boots, pants, and chest). Head two regions east of Eastwillow, or one region south of the farrock monolith. There is a building, and while wear all of the armor, standing on the portal will teleport you to the chests. One of the chests contains a book about the Orakur. Bringing that book to the professor in Lockston Hall in Port Kuudad will give you access to the basement. In here, you can find a tree-like ‘useable’ object. If you have all four bells in your inventory, and click on it, you will automatically put them on, and gain 30,000 bonus experience.

Thanks to all those who helped me with this walkthrough (even if they didn’t know it)!
I'm sure I made some mistakes in the process of making this, so if you find them, please PM me with a subject of: Walkthrough Correction (or something along those lines)
Many Thanks!
Last edited by Vroqren on February 14th, 2015, 8:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Book II Walkthrough

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » May 28th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Nice work. One quick note: I thought it was Thieve's Arcadia, not Acadia.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren » May 28th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Nice work. One quick note: I thought it was Thieve's Arcadia, not Acadia.
I was trying to remember which it was, and eventually went with Acadia. I'll find out for sure, then change it accordingly. Thanks for the update!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P » May 29th, 2012, 7:42 am

Vroqren wrote:you’ll find Wendy’s father
Eleanise's father! (I think it's Eleanise)

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren » May 29th, 2012, 7:46 am

Thanks - don't know how I messed that up. Again, I'll double check, then fix the walkthrough.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren » June 3rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

Bump - I hate to bump, and to double post, but can we get this stickied? I feel like without a sticky it will be lost in the abyss.

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady » June 4th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Vroqren wrote:Bump - I hate to bump, and to double post, but can we get this stickied? I feel like without a sticky it will be lost in the abyss.

I used the '!' button to alert BW. It should be fixed, ie. stickied, soon. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!

mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong » February 10th, 2013, 7:14 pm

OK, I'm totally stuck. In Fathamurk, I keep getting killed by the first portcullis. I tried blowing up a powder keg in front of it and under it. I tried smashing a powder keg with my sword under the portcullis, which made it blow up. I tried a level 3 Trapkill to no effect. I just keep getting killed. Help please...

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall » February 10th, 2013, 8:14 pm

mwindsong wrote:OK, I'm totally stuck. In Fathamurk, I keep getting killed by the first portcullis. I tried blowing up a powder keg in front of it and under it. I tried smashing a powder keg with my sword under the portcullis, which made it blow up. I tried a level 3 Trapkill to no effect. I just keep getting killed. Help please...
Odd... putting the powder keg directly under the portcullis, and then closing the portcullis, should have worked.

Give it a try again...

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » February 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm

mwindsong wrote:OK, I'm totally stuck. In Fathamurk, I keep getting killed by the first portcullis. I tried blowing up a powder keg in front of it and under it. I tried smashing a powder keg with my sword under the portcullis, which made it blow up. I tried a level 3 Trapkill to no effect. I just keep getting killed. Help please...
IJ Ball explained your problem. You have to close the portcullis on the barrel, and that blows the portcullis up. You can't use any other technique to blow up the barrel and have any effect on the portcullis.
---

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren » February 10th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Sounds like I should probably write a Walkthrough specificallyy for Fathamurk. Do you guys think I should write an entirely seperate Walkthrough, or just add it on to this Walkthrough?

mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong » February 10th, 2013, 9:13 pm

THANK you guys! I didn't see anywhere that the portcullis should smash the powder keg… so, naturally I only thought to smash it with my own tools. Gads. I should be able to think past the obvious, but I'm new to the RPG thing.

mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong » February 10th, 2013, 10:46 pm

OK, having looked at the walkthrough again, I would very much like a walkthrough for just Fathamurk. I'll keep plugging away and see where I get to, but it would be really great to know there is help readily available for when I get stuck and my frustration tolerance is ebbing. (which I have to admit doesn't take real long, lol). :lol:

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » February 11th, 2013, 12:04 pm

mwindsong wrote:...I'll keep plugging away and see where I get to, but it would be really great to know there is help readily available for when I get stuck and my frustration tolerance is ebbing. (which I have to admit doesn't take real long, lol). :lol:
Fathamurk is particularly hard, especially for people who aren't familiar with old-school RPGs. You also need a strong, well-developed character to make it through.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » February 11th, 2013, 12:07 pm

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
mwindsong wrote:...I'll keep plugging away and see where I get to, but it would be really great to know there is help readily available for when I get stuck and my frustration tolerance is ebbing. (which I have to admit doesn't take real long, lol). :lol:
Fathamurk is particularly hard, especially for people who aren't familiar with old-school RPGs. You also need a strong, well-developed character to make it through.
Emphasis on the strong if you want to make it out with even half the loot. :)
---