Eschalon: Book II Walkthrough

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
mwindsong
Apprentice

Re: Book II Walkthrough

Post by mwindsong »

currently, I'll settle for getting past the lava pools and locked door for diamond key… I have managed to kill the lava slag who had the diamond left over from it's meal. On a lark I tried to see if it would combine with anything in my stash, but no luck.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Emphasis on the strong if you want to make it out with even half the loot. :)
Cast Ogre Strength, waddle a few steps, collapse into a heap. Rise, repeat.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Well-developed in the sense that you were smart enough to get the Plasma Wand.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Emphasis on the strong if you want to make it out with even half the loot. :)
Cast Ogre Strength, waddle a few steps, collapse into a heap. Rise, repeat.
Yeah, I tried this method with potions. I have too fond of memories of drinking potion after potion, just to carry the loot to one place where I could look at it all to decide what I wanted to keep.
Sometime I really would like to try a playthrough with every single point in strength, just to see how much loot it is possible to get out.

EDIT: By the way, I am writing a separate walkthrough for Fathumurk, though I may just end up attaching it to this topic.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:EDIT: By the way, I am writing a separate walkthrough for Fathumurk, though I may just end up attaching it to this topic.
Vroqren, that's a welcome development, :)

A request: please pay particular attention in your walkthrough on ways to defeat the Stone Golem at the end.

I've played through Fathumurk once or twice, but have never bothered to finish it because I get to the Stone Golem, and then decide that the 'grind' necessary to beat him isn't worth the hassle to me.

If your Fathamurk walkthrough can come up with the quickest/most painless way to defeat Stone Golem (e.g. the answer may be using the Unarmed Combat feat, Fury Strike, while wielding the Plasma Wand 'cheat'/method), I will really appreciate it. :wink:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:
Vroqren wrote:EDIT: By the way, I am writing a separate walkthrough for Fathumurk, though I may just end up attaching it to this topic.
Vroqren, that's a welcome development, :)

A request: please pay particular attention in your walkthrough on ways to defeat the Stone Golem at the end.

I've played through Fathumurk once or twice, but have never bothered to finish it because I get to the Stone Golem, and then decide that the 'grind' necessary to beat him isn't worth the hassle to me.

If your Fathamurk walkthrough can come up with the quickest/most painless way to defeat Stone Golem (e.g. the answer may be using the Unarmed Combat feat, Fury Strike, while wielding the Plasma Wand 'cheat'/method), I will really appreciate it. :wink:
I've never found the Golem to be that much of a grind, but maybe I've just been lucky. A few explosive barrels and a few shots and it drops. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

As long as you can stay hasted so you can get two attacks or at least heal your damage it isn't hard.
mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong »

Interesting… the doors aren't locked to get past the lava pool stage. The door isn't locked, so lock melt doesn't work. Reveal map doesn't tell me anything more than I can see without it. Ogre strength doesn't allow me to pass through. Keg of powder was ineffective, as was 35 castings of fireball level 6. Sonic blast level 6 ineffective also. A couple discharges of the plasma wand were also useless. Fearsome steel great axe is only useful as a door knocker, lol. I'm so running out of ideas. :?:
mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong »

Is there a way to grab some lava and melt the darn doors?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Pretty sure you need a key dropped by a lava slug to leave the lava area.
mwindsong
Apprentice

Post by mwindsong »

what to do while grinding for money to get better armor… Sudoku on the Nintendo DS. :lol:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

mwindsong wrote:what to do while grinding for money to get better armor… Sudoku on the Nintendo DS. :lol:
Much easier than better armor is a potion of Greater Protection (I think that's the correct name), or the Elemental Armor spell. Just be sure to take your boots and pants off before you go wandering in the lava. The fireproof boots and pants protect you, but oddly not themselves, whereas wearing a fireproof hat is apparently great protection for your bare feet. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Completely foolproof (not really) method to defeat the Stone Golem:

1. Trap him in a corner with as much powder kegs as possible
2. Detonate the kegs
3. Finish him with weapon feat/plasma wand

That's what I used and it worked perfectly. Didn't even take that much time. The trickiest part was getting him in a corner without dying in process.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

That's what I'm taking about - doing something like that is what I consider to be a 'grind'.

I might try Lord_P's suggestion, as it sounds like less of a hassle (as long as you can pre-place the barrels and don't have to go through the rigmarole of the linked-to thread...).

But I think I'll start out by trying Fathamurk again with my Unarmed Combat expert, and see if using the Unarmed Combat feat in combination with the Plasma Wand is enough to take the Stone Golem out all on its own. (Note: It's likely going to take me a while before I even try this - e.g. I may not get to this until my break in late March!)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Unarmed combat and potions or their spell equivalents will definitely take out the stone golem.