My unique character class Im playing

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

My unique character class Im playing

Post by deathknight1728 »

I decided to go back to one of my characters that i originally was using with book 2. As i beat book 1 with a defensive fighter that uses speed attribute to the extreme, i wanted to try something new and cool. One of the things I like about the eschalon series is that a lot of the attributes can be used exclusively to create a unique build that usually works.

My first build was for book 1 was mostly not that powerful. It was mostly because i still was getting used to the game and its mechanics that i didn't know that to complement speed. I really need to put at least 2 skill points into my weapon of choice per level to offset the 3 points in speed not giving any to hit.

This time i have another idea that i thought was pretty cool and haven't heard too much about. Its mostly a rogue/fighter build that is working so far pretty well. While its not the best build, its a lot of fun.

The Survivalist

This character i am using uses every 3 points per lvl on concentration to make a high to hit chance, and mostly useful for disarming traps. With a decent perception at character creation and spot hidden skills from training/books, i can spot most traps. As this isn't a true rogue, 20 endurance was needed, as a survivalist needs to be hardy after all. I decided that i needed a defensive skill such as dodge or shields, but wanted to make something different. I was looking at medicine (survival in book 1) and thought that would make sense as he won't be a lock opening thief, but moreso a berserker that knows how to survive with regenerative powers, a good sword, and trap disarming when in hostile situations.

Its actually been a lot of fun so far. I made it to port kudad at lvl 3 and now am lvl 6. This is a character i might make in book 1 when done.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Knightofhopex
Apprentice

Re: My unique character class Im playing

Post by Knightofhopex »

In popular roguelikes or tabletop games, that build would be / is not only conventional but almost mandatory.

When my friends and I play DnD, it's always the sturdy rogue or ranger's job to make sure every part of the game -IE food, water, traps, mechanical devices, enemies we can barely hit, etc- that the rest of us don't have the skill points or saves to worry about are taken care of.

I believe my buddy Chris that plays such a character refers to the strategy as being a "Swiss Army Knife".