Custom Portait FAILURE

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Wychkith
Initiate

Custom Portait FAILURE

Post by Wychkith »

I just bought Eschalon Book II from MacGamestore.. And made a custom portait (mypic.png and 64x64).. AND I HAVE TRIED TO PLACE IN EVERY POSSIBLE FOLDER THAT COULD BE THE "ROOT FOLDER" AND STILL NO PORTAIT CAN BE FOUND???!!!

I have seen several threads on this topic, but none was very useful to me.

PRETTY PLEASE!! HELP ME!!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Custom Portait FAILURE

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The "root" folder is the same folder where the game application is. Assuming a standard install, that would be in your Applications folder in the Eschalon Book II folder.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The "root" folder is the same folder where the game application is. Assuming a standard install, that would be in your Applications folder in the Eschalon Book II folder.
I´ve tried that hundred times or so to no avail. I did nothing special when I installed it, so that´s where the game is. So I really do not understand why the game wont recognize it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

You could try capitalizing the M and P, MyPic.png. It recognizes mine that way. Not sure what else to suggest. Very odd.
---

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:You could try capitalizing the M and P, MyPic.png. It recognizes mine that way. Not sure what else to suggest. Very odd.
You might try making it 63x63 just to see if that works. I had to do that with one of my pics. Rest worked normally.

I agree with KF, very odd.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
palendrome
Initiate

Post by palendrome »

What have you used to create your portrait? Photoshop? You might simply need to make it smaller then the max aloud. Or try saving it for web and drop the resolution. Uploading images to games functions in the same way as blogs or websites. If it's to big it simply won't generate it. That's probably why you can't find it because it's not been excepted and uploaded.
Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

palendrome wrote:What have you used to create your portrait? Photoshop? You might simply need to make it smaller then the max aloud. Or try saving it for web and drop the resolution. Uploading images to games functions in the same way as blogs or websites. If it's to big it simply won't generate it. That's probably why you can't find it because it's not been excepted and uploaded.
I use Gimp. Any idea how big is the maximum size (in filesize, not actual picture size) allowed?
Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

Dragonlady wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:You could try capitalizing the M and P, MyPic.png. It recognizes mine that way. Not sure what else to suggest. Very odd.
You might try making it 63x63 just to see if that works. I had to do that with one of my pics. Rest worked normally.

I agree with KF, very odd.
I have tried that as well. Nothing seem to work =(
palendrome
Initiate

Post by palendrome »

Wychkith wrote:
I use Gimp. Any idea how big is the maximum size (in filesize, not actual picture size) allowed? [/quote wrote:
To be fair I've never created a custom portrait so I don't know. I'm not familiar with gimp either. Just theorising really. Photo manipulation software is generally all the same in the fact that they follow the same principles for file creation. I'll create a custom portrait and get back to you :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Can you upload your custom portrait somewhere and share it here? I'd like to see if I can pull it down and get it to work with my game.
---

Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Can you upload your custom portrait somewhere and share it here? I'd like to see if I can pull it down and get it to work with my game.

That would be great! Thanks!
Hopefully this works?

http://postimage.org/image/a5aagzxcf/
Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

palendrome wrote:
Wychkith wrote:
I use Gimp. Any idea how big is the maximum size (in filesize, not actual picture size) allowed? [/quote wrote:
To be fair I've never created a custom portrait so I don't know. I'm not familiar with gimp either. Just theorising really. Photo manipulation software is generally all the same in the fact that they follow the same principles for file creation. I'll create a custom portrait and get back to you :)
Thanks! =)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Wychkith wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Can you upload your custom portrait somewhere and share it here? I'd like to see if I can pull it down and get it to work with my game.

That would be great! Thanks!
Hopefully this works?

http://postimage.org/image/a5aagzxcf/
Downloaded just fine, I placed it in my folder, created a new character, pressed the Custom button for the portrait, and it popped right up. Now I'm really confused as to why you're having a problem.
---

Wychkith
Initiate

Post by Wychkith »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Wychkith wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote: Downloaded just fine, I placed it in my folder, created a new character, pressed the Custom button for the portrait, and it popped right up. Now I'm really confused as to why you're having a problem.
Well, then I´m confused as well.

Just to be sure, did you place it in the same folder as the .dmg-file?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Wychkith wrote: Well, then I´m confused as well.

Just to be sure, did you place it in the same folder as the .dmg-file?
The .dmg? That would be the disk image with the installer. It goes in the folder with the actual application. The path should be */Applications/Eschalon Book II/ where the * is your home directory. It should be the same folder as the application file, the general.cfg file, the datapak, and the manual, and so on.
---