Need Advice/Support on Mages and Priests

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Need Advice/Support on Mages and Priests

Post by deathknight1728 »

I decided that I want to try to play the game with a different character instead of a fighter like previous times. But the problem is I overheard that mages and priests get obsolete when fighting tauraxes as they are invulnerable to magic.

My question is can you play a pure mage or priest by switching your tactics/spells or do you have to have some other way of dealing damage?

If i have to use a weapon or bow or whatever along with mage or priest skills, then I'm not going to do it. But thats only because i want to play the game as that desired class. I don't mind if i have to sneak past some of the enemies (tauraxes) just to finish the game.

Any advice is much appreciated.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Need Advice/Support on Mages and Priests

Post by Randomizer »

Mages/Priest work just fine through out the game. The problem is running low on mana even with better regeneration in Book 2 vs Book 1. Be sure to train in Alchemy and Foraging to make potions and you will be fine. Also learn different damage types since some work better than others.

I had no problem with mage versus taurax.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Compress Atmosphere is your friend. It does physical damage, so you don't have to worry about the elemental or magic resistance. For Priest types there's the something hammer spell. Can't remember the name right now and I'm too lazy to pull up a game and look. ;-) It's also physical damage, but to a single target, whereas compress atmosphere hits your target and anything adjacent to it. CA can't be targeted on inanimate objects, though (it will damage inanimate objects next to an animate target, however).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:For Priest types there's the something hammer spell. Can't remember the name right now and I'm too lazy to pull up a game and look.
Mystic Hammer

Kreador is right, without Compress Atmosphere you'll be running on half efficiency. Don't even bother with other Elemental spells, Taurax are very resistant to magick and elements.

Edit: Also do get Dense Nimbus. Saves your life so many times in Hammerlorne and Talushorn. While in theory you could still get past the Sentinel Stalks without it, walking through the front gate of Talushorn is pure suicide without DN.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

But but but preists USE maces and shields!! ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

We have dungeons and dragons in Eschalon but we don't have Dungeons and Dragons in Eschalon. (I may have made a massive error with my joke)
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Now that right there is funny.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Lord_P wrote:We have dungeons and dragons in Eschalon but we don't have Dungeons and Dragons in Eschalon. (I may have made a massive error with my joke)
*pant* *pant* drip, drip.."Someone call me? I was in the shower and it better be a good one (excuse)!"

"Huh?"

"Ha! Good one!"

*WHOP! slaps Lord P on the back and stomps off tightening the tent sized towel around her waist tail dragging behind...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

:D