where am I?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

where am I?

Post by dogeddie »

I have trouble remembering where I am going from one map to the next, especially when my gaming sessions are weeks apart. Is there a way to tell where I am on non town maps? Also, I seem to get hosed by being on the wrong side of impassable water quite often. Is there a way to aid in my navigating? I only have cartography at level 1, but that won't help my problem anyway, right?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: where am I?

Post by Randomizer »

Go back to Aridell to learn more cartography.

Explore a bit and compare to the world map.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Isn't Aridel in Book 1? Where do you mean? Thanks
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

dogeddie wrote:Isn't Aridel in Book 1? Where do you mean? Thanks
Yes, Aridell is in Book I. The cartography trainer in Book II is in Port Kuudad.

You may want to go old-school and keep a notepad with you while you play to write down notes about what you're doing next. Or, if you play in a window, you can use a notepad program for the same purpose.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Randomizer wrote:Explore a bit and compare to the world map.
Not counting the Aridell part, Randomizer's post's other half was pretty good. The Map of Mistfell doesn't just look astonishingly good, it's also very handy when travelling in Mistfell for the first time. Most of the rivers on the map are really there.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Lord_P wrote:Most of the rivers on the map are really there.
Most? Are there rivers recorded that aren't there. Were the cartographers maybe a little drunk when they made the maps...?

Yes though - I always start my games with cartography level 3, and it helps me know if I've been somewhere/where I am. The world maps available in the store are also excellent.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I suspect that part of dogeddie's problem is that there are several rivers that cross maps in Book II. They stop you from exploring the whole map without re-entering from another direction.

He really, really needs to get more cartography. Otherwise, as was already suggested, he's going to need to do it the old fashioned way (by maintaining his own pen and paper map).

I can think of some areas that are hard to explore properly even with good cartography skills because of boulders that block waterways.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

It's funny that the cartography trainer is in Port Kuudad, as that is the town I've been busting my nuts trying to find! Old school it is then!

PS - so you say 3 levels of cartography will be adequate?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

dogeddie wrote:It's funny that the cartography trainer is in Port Kuudad, as that is the town I've been busting my nuts trying to find! Old school it is then!

PS - so you say 3 levels of cartography will be adequate?
First - Port Kuudad is easy to find. Have you been to Everdale yet? Just walk one map north of Everdale, cross the little bridge and turn east at the crossroads. Port K is on the next map east.

Second - With cartography at level 3 your mini-map will show where you have been. It's pretty much the rock bottom level you need to not get confused about your location.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I'm too old not to play old school, I guess. I never even bother with Cartography until I get to the trainer, and even then I wait until I've bought other skills I'm interested in first. You can get to Port K either by following the path around through Everdale and then it's a map east and a map north. My first time, I actually went the other way, through the Farrock caves and up through the Port K sewers.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:My first time, I actually went the other way, through the Farrock caves and up through the Port K sewers.
That was my first route also. I got to Port K, but didn't have a Citizen's Writ. So I wandered around and finally fought my way through the sewers....
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

so I can get trained in cartography and raise the skill without having to use skill points? I guess I didn't know that that option existed; or that the game had trainers.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

dogeddie wrote:so I can get trained in cartography and raise the skill without having to use skill points? I guess I didn't know that that option existed; or that the game had trainers.
Yes, there are several trainers, BUT, not for every skill. One set of skills are hidden in an out of the way place. First time through the game I only found it by accident when trying to avoid being killed by wolves. :) Another one is in a place you have to have the skills in advance just to get to him! At least the way I play you do. Dang assassins!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Dragonlady wrote:
dogeddie wrote:so I can get trained in cartography and raise the skill without having to use skill points? I guess I didn't know that that option existed; or that the game had trainers.
Yes, there are several trainers, BUT, not for every skill. One set of skills are hidden in an out of the way place. First time through the game I only found it by accident when trying to avoid being killed by wolves. :) Another one is in a place you have to have the skills in advance just to get to him! At least the way I play you do. Dang assassins!

so as a fairly generic Healer is it likely I will easily find this cartography trainer in Port Kuudad, as in you can't miss them?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

dogeddie wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:

so as a fairly generic Healer is it likely I will easily find this cartography trainer in Port Kuudad, as in you can't miss them?
He's not hidden. Just talk to everyone behind every unlocked door and you will find him. Not too far from the waterfront, in fact.
---