Um.....really?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
theanonymy
Apprentice

Um.....really?

Post by theanonymy »

What the deuce? I just came back to Everdale from kicking some ass in the Zoo, in order to sell my gained loot and buy some arrows, etc.....all three merchants have vanished, somehow. Have been searching for an answer for a couple hours now, for naught, obviously; just a little irksome. Ever so slightly.

So. I'm not yet allowed entry to Port Kuudad (haven't cleared Wolfenwood yet, but was just about to as soon as I bought arrows), and Eastwillow is basically useless once you've leveled up past, say, oh I don't know.....level two? Three, maybe? The merchandise is awful, and they don't have enough coin, anyway.

What's a girl to do? At my weight limit, and all my stashes are basically full. Even better? Have yet to do the Lycanthrope quest; didn't want to give up a good merchant until I have a better one to go to.....ungh...

/fumes

Is this supposed to happen? I didn't see any dialogue pertaining to said phenomena whilst searching in vain throughout the tiny burg....is there a trigger I've somehow missed?

Thank you muchly in advance; and apologies if the answer is indeed posted somewhere. Several variations failed to bring about any search results....here, or Google.

:?
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

--Unknown (though sometimes contributed to Jonathan Davis, for some reason)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Um.....really?

Post by Randomizer »

Your weight problem is easy since you can stash items in empty barrels especially near Port Kuudad and in chests and cabinets in rooms in East Willow and your home. I do that with stuff I might want later, but I don't need it for a few levels.

I don't remember merchants in Everdale wandering outdoors. It is possible that you attracted a stray monster that ate them, but it isn't likely.

Save the game in a few slots. Then exit the game and delete the Everdale maps in only one of the saves. Restart the game and see if that fixes the problem.
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Dood! Thanks ever so for the suggestion. I'd thought of trying to eff around with saves, etc.; knowing me, I'd have deleted some important file or folder and gummed up the works. :wink:

I'll give that a go; thanks again. :mrgreen:

Phew! Can go on, now...been afraid to even exit out of the game, for fear of losing my progress and some good loot...it happened in Book I; only once, but it was enough of a backslide to make me very pissy...never mind that it took forever to get back some of the loot...and I never did find a couple sweet pieces again!

Your weight problem is easy since you can stash items in empty barrels especially near Port Kuudad and in chests and cabinets in rooms in East Willow and your home. I do that with stuff I might want later, but I don't need it for a few levels.

Yes; same here. Currently, all the usable barrels/chests I have around quick travel spots are currently full...which is why I didn't want to budge until I'd heard from someone; don't want to lose the loot I've got on me, again. I keep trying to stash loot in the Constables drawers' (did that sound weird?) @ EastWillow, but he keeps trying to kill me as soon as I go near his bedroom, even though I've done nothing to him! Yikes!

Off I go to loot the saves folders....wheee.... :|

EDIT: Whoops...just for clarification, I'd cleared all enemies immediately upon getting to Everdale...and there is no 'evidence' of fights, so... *shrugs*
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Curses! I have finally found the damned save files for Book 2....which are nowhere near where I'd expected them to be....but the maps are numbered, not named! Argh....

Can anyone help a sister out? I would dearly love to be playing.

*sniffle*
:(

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

*bows*

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Twice you've come to my rescue, like yon valiant knight riding his proud steed. I thanks you.

:wink:

And please do not be offended if you are indeed not a 'sir', per se....it's so hard to tell without an avatar of some sort...and a handle that could go either way (unless it refers to something specific that I am woefully unaware of). Regardless, I'm still deeply appreciative, and will try my luck now at a 'reset' of Everdale.

:mrgreen: Wish me luck!

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

GOOD LUCK!!!!
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thank you! I actually needed that!

Save the game in a few slots. Then exit the game and delete the Everdale maps in only one of the saves. Restart the game and see if that fixes the problem.

Your suggestion did work, Randomizer....thank you for that, and to the link that gave me the names of the numbered maps.....but I thought I'd make sure I'd save my game outside that particular map first. So I played a little bit in Wolfenwood, then went to save..... F2 wouldn't work, and I got an error--my Quicksave slot turned to a red italic claiming there was no file found for that slot. Tried it again in slot 13; same thing. They were there; I'd already checked the AppData save files for Book 2 just previous to that...it kind of freaked me out, so I just left it a few days. Tried it again last night, and it seems to have worked, though I haven't done much. The NPCs are back, and I had to clear the wolves again, so it gives me hope.

Thanks for the help, folks.

:mrgreen:

theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Gack. Several more maps/saves corrupted. I give up.

*sigh* :cry:

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

theanonymy wrote:Gack. Several more maps/saves corrupted. I give up.

*sigh* :cry:
Have you run any maintenance programs on your computer? Sounds like you could have a virus, or you could have a drive that is having problems. I strongly suggest you do everything you can to check your machine.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Have you run any maintenance programs on your computer? Sounds like you could have a virus, or you could have a drive that is having problems. I strongly suggest you do everything you can to check your machine.

Yup; been doing exactly that all night. *yawn* :wink:

Something called 'msmsgs', I think, was found in the AppData/Roaming folder during the more-than-half TB boot scan....perhaps that was it. Certainly seems odd that whatever it was/is only affects EB2 (thus far). /shrugs

Well. Off to try once again. I hope this works. Nothing worse than having to do the complete wipe of the iMac....it's 'kind of' nice starting fresh, but it just takes so long to get it all back to where you want it....*groan*

What really annoys me, though, is that I've got avast!Pro, Iobit Advanced System Care Premium, Windows Defender, etc. all running on my rig at any time; all set with different weekly scan times....I have had problems with virii in the past on my old PC, so am a little paranoid. Thanks a ton, software companies!

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

running 2 antivirus or malware programs at once constantly can make them not work correctly.

I have 5 programs but only use 1 of each running in the backround constantly, use the others as backups when i think somethings wrong.

Iobit usually does a good job, never been a big fan of Avast!

You tried a sweep with malwarebytes?

I also reccommend spybot. Free and definitely is a good prod thats been around forever. (malware protection)

i also reccommend spywareblaster. It blocks unwanted spy/malware in the backround. You just download it, update it, enable protections, then close it.

on my pc i use spybot(running) MSE(running) and then spywareblaster.

then occasionally i run malwarebytes just in case they missed something. since upgrading to these, ive had no more issues.

FWIW ive only had 1 virus ever and MSE caught that after i installed it.

Just my 02 cents. YMMV
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

running 2 antivirus or malware programs at once constantly can make them not work correctly.

I have 5 programs but only use 1 of each running in the backround constantly, use the others as backups when i think somethings wrong.

Iobit usually does a good job, never been a big fan of Avast!

You tried a sweep with malwarebytes?

I also reccommend spybot. Free and definitely is a good prod thats been around forever. (malware protection)

i also reccommend spywareblaster. It blocks unwanted spy/malware in the backround. You just download it, update it, enable protections, then close it.

on my pc i use spybot(running) MSE(running) and then spywareblaster.

then occasionally i run malwarebytes just in case they missed something. since upgrading to these, ive had no more issues.

FWIW ive only had 1 virus ever and MSE caught that after i installed it.

Just my 02 cents. YMMV

Of course you cant use MSE, as its a microsoft program for PC's.

theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Iobit ASC has it's own malware, spybot, defrag, registry cleaner, etc. etc. etc. as onboard 'tools'...it's actually pretty sweet.

I keep changing anti-virus programs after they let something infect my rig. I've used Avira, Norton, McAffee, AVG (used to love the free version!), etc...Panda was good; not sure why I switched.....haven't tried Kaspersky.....anyway, I've not had a single issue with avast! in 3-4 years....usually it stops something suspicious cold; doesn't get downloaded, let alone opened...I pay for 'premium' service hoping to never go through a highjacked rig again.

(Once you've been through a particularly brutal hijack, where you can't even download/open executables to run those spyware/malware checks....I'll never forget running back and forth from my G5 to the PC with a thumbdrive for a few days before I got everything I'd needed to wipe clean and start again....happened a few times on that awful machine...*shiver*)

Mind you, I guess they can't always be right on top of the unscrupulous d@*chebaggery of the hacker circuit; I suppose the threat has to come out first before they can defend against it.

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

yeah, ive used IOBIT software before, good but its not a bad idea to have backups and use them on occasion as well.

I also used to love AVG then they just stopped being the best of the freeware.

Ive used most of the "big names" and most of them are eh, unless you buy them. Mostly im just used to what i have, only been hit once and that was a zero day java exploit and only for WoW accounts, otherwise ive been lucky.

If a hacker REALLY wants in, theyll get in, we can only just try our best ;)