Arthur, level 1 melee.

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Firall
Initiate

Arthur, level 1 melee.

Post by Firall »

I read a post where it had been done with a mage, so I figured I'd give melee a shot. Think I forgot to do "Shortest. Quest. Ever."
(Also, "p" in game would not give me a screen shot of the scoreboard, so, you're stuck with this. :P )

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Arthur, level 1 melee.

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Nice wallpaper. And congratulations on another successful run-through.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Good job! While I don't think I could ever play through entirely as level one, but I have considered attempting the lowest possible score. Haven't gotten around to that though.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

:shock: :o

Can I please know your secret?
Firall
Initiate

Post by Firall »

Vroqren wrote:Good job! While I don't think I could ever play through entirely as level one, but I have considered attempting the lowest possible score. Haven't gotten around to that though.
I may attempt that also, at some point. For now though, I've recently purchased Avadon: The black fortress. Have a feeling that may be eating up my game time.
Lord_P wrote:Can I please know your secret?
Not sure there is a secret. Money (Buy the best gear) + Alchemy (Imbue it, also potions.) = Win.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Firall wrote:[Not sure there is a secret. Money (Buy the best gear) + Alchemy (Imbue it, also potions.) = Win.
Congrats!

...still, even I don't know how this could be done. If you actually did this without game modification, I'd love to see a few of your saved games. It could be exceptionally helpful in balancing Book III.

My suspicion comes from this: super weapons can increase damage, but do less for your ToHit score. Without advancements to your Attributes or Skills, I don't know how you would have maintained a ToHit score high enough to successfully hit some of the higher creatures.

I'm not questioning the validity of your claim, but I'd like to see exactly how you did it.

I also see that you did a LOT of camping- 371 game days?!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

This wasn't the first level 1 winner, but I don't think I would have the patience to do it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:This wasn't the first level 1 winner, but I don't think I would have the patience to do it.
I believe it is the first time with a melee character, though. The other time was with a mage.

BasiliskWrangler wrote:My suspicion comes from this: super weapons can increase damage, but do less for your ToHit score. Without advancements to your Attributes or Skills, I don't know how you would have maintained a ToHit score high enough to successfully hit some of the higher creatures.
Yes, but with the trainer and books, it's possible to get the three main melee weapon skills to 10 for the Feats without spending any level-up points. Putting all starting skill points into, say, foraging and mercantile and alchemy, it's possible to generate enough money to get the weapon skills without ever putting any points into them. Not easy, I'm sure, but possible. Once you have the Feats, you don't have to worry about to hit chance, just how to stay away from the monsters until your Feats refresh.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Firall
Initiate

Post by Firall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
My suspicion comes from this: super weapons can increase damage, but do less for your ToHit score. Without advancements to your Attributes or Skills, I don't know how you would have maintained a ToHit score high enough to successfully hit some of the higher creatures.
Actually his damage was abysmal, but tohit wasn't that bad. Example:

Tons of buffs. Not sure I have a save file before Fathamurk left, but you can have the one I used before Talu. There is no game modification, but I did abuse a bug during the rolling process to achieve a slightly higher "Medicine" skill (+1).
I also see that you did a LOT of camping- 371 game days?!
Money generation/Shop reset. Of the 14 hours played at least 6 of those were just getting prepped. In ALL That time, I still never found "Crush - Smash - Destroy." Would have been nice to have another +1/+1.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Question: How did you get 107 HPs if you never leveled up?
Firall
Initiate

Post by Firall »

IJBall wrote:Question: How did you get 107 HPs if you never leveled up?
87 to start

+20 hp cloak.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Would frequent camping + high Foraging skill be a significant exploit for this kind of character?

For Book III, we are playing around with the idea of foraging working only while moving- as you travel, you forage from the bushes and plants you find along the way. When you camp, you are resting, not out foraging through the brush. Even if you were, you'd only find a limited amount of food and reagents in the immediate vicinity of your campsite.

For example, as you travel, you are actively foraging, though your hunger/thirst bars drop at a normal speed even if you were an expert forager. The moment you set up camp, you would eat what you had foraged during your previous walking- the more you walked, and the better your foraging, the more your hunger/thirst bar would automatically bump up. Frequent camping, with minimal traveling, would not benefit you.

Same thing with reagents- the more you walk, the more things you would likely find. These items are only added to your inventory when you first make camp, representing the act of going through your nap sack and seeing what goodies you found along the way. Again, frequent camping and minimal walking means no reagents.

Thoughts?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It would change the foraging for money, but you still have the divination create food spell to sell for money unless you make sold fold worthless except for monster dropped food above rats.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:For Book III, we are playing around with the idea of foraging working only while moving- as you travel, you forage from the bushes and plants you find along the way. When you camp, you are resting, not out foraging through the brush. Even if you were, you'd only find a limited amount of food and reagents in the immediate vicinity of your campsite.

For example, as you travel, you are actively foraging, though your hunger/thirst bars drop at a normal speed even if you were an expert forager. The moment you set up camp, you would eat what you had foraged during your previous walking- the more you walked, and the better your foraging, the more your hunger/thirst bar would automatically bump up. Frequent camping, with minimal traveling, would not benefit you.

Same thing with reagents- the more you walk, the more things you would likely find. These items are only added to your inventory when you first make camp, representing the act of going through your nap sack and seeing what goodies you found along the way. Again, frequent camping and minimal walking means no reagents.

Thoughts?
I'm a: +1 vote for this kind of system.

For one thing, it is a more "realistic" system.

A couple of caveats:
  1. First, is there any chance you can implement this system such that the kind of reagents you get by Foraging can be restricted by map (type), or are "map-specific". Again, one of my main concerns has always been that you could Forage for reagents in places that you shouldn't be able to (e.g. esp. dungeons), or as Kreedor pointed out that you could get a reagent like Ambergris on a "non-beachfront" map.
  2. My other main concern has always been with Foraging as a "money generator" (and this being somewhat "game breaking")... But maybe there's no way to avoid that? Still, it would be good if that aspect (the money generating-part) of Foraging could be limited somehow.
And I agree with Randomizer on the Create Food/Draw Water spells, but my suggestion for dealing with that was put into the Book III Wishlist long-ago...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't see foraging/create food as a problem that needs solving. Yes, it lets people grind for money, but who cares? If some people enjoy playing that way, it's not going to detract from the enjoyment of anybody else.