Rogue Build?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Skid
Initiate

Rogue Build?

Post by Skid »

So, I've beat the game three times now. The one character type I can't seem to get is Rogue. For me, it feels almost identical to Ranger. The first time I played the game, I played as a Ranger, and ended up with high dexterity and speed, between 25 and 30 in bows, and high pick locks, hide in shadows, and skullduggery, with cleaving weapons to back up. I gave Rouge a shot, and ended up playing it exactly the same. I'm not one to try the sneak past everything without killing anything style, as I like to kill stuff :mrgreen: . Any tips on how to make a Rogue? Thanks.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Rogue Build?

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm with you on that. Piercing weapons just aren't that good, aside from some awesome named weapons late in the game. And rogue-style skills are either stuff everybody picks up (pick locks, skullduggery) or just not that useful (hide in shadows, move silently). I've never managed to come up with a rogueish build that was both interesting and effective enough to want to play, but maybe others will chime in.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I personally like the Rogue build. I generally start with Hide in Shadows, Pick Locks, Spot Hidden, Unarmed Combat and either Foraging or Skullduggery. Later I will add Elemental for ranged attacks. It seems to give a nice twist to the game. For example, instead of avenging Darrus, you turn scummy and train your sneaking around skills.
Skid
Initiate

Post by Skid »

I don't find Hide in Shadows useless. In fact, I think it is extremely powerful. The character I beat Book 1 with, and my first Book 2 character used a combination of Hide in Shadows, extremely high Bow skill, and Predator Sight. I waited for nightfall and butchered the Taurax without being seen. Thanks for the Unarmed tip; I actually have never used it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Skid wrote:I don't find Hide in Shadows useless. In fact, I think it is extremely powerful. The character I beat Book 1 with, and my first Book 2 character used a combination of Hide in Shadows, extremely high Bow skill, and Predator Sight. I waited for nightfall and butchered the Taurax without being seen. Thanks for the Unarmed tip; I actually have never used it.
Hide In Shadows is MUCH more powerful in Book I than in Book II. Between changing the AI of the monsters in terms of it and changing the actual calculation for being unseen in the shadows, it takes a lot more levels in Book II to be really effective.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Skid
Initiate

Post by Skid »

I find HiS so powerful, albeit less so in II, that I try never to use it. IMO, it makes things so easy. Same goes with Predator Sight. Being able to fight in the dark against an opponent who cannot just takes the fun out of things.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

The problems with rogues is that daggers only have 1 stat build-that is dexterity and lots of it. If there were a reason to choose even a little investment of speed over dexterity that would be good. Dexterity gives you to hit, armor, and damage for daggers plus move silently and pick locks as well.

Speed gives you armor and damage without to hit. I don't think there is any reason to use speed for daggers. However, if you are talking about other melee weapons, that is a wise investment to choose. Swords, Cleaving, Unarmed and Blugeoning are all good choices for both strength and speed. Daggers are good for dexterity and only that.