Light Armor vs. Heavy Armor

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Light Armor vs. Heavy Armor

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

What exactly is the difference (in game terms) between "heavy" and "light" armor?

I'm right now looking at two belts, both with the exact same armor rating and the only discernible difference is the weight and a slightly thinner image for the lighter belt.

All told, given the same armor rating, it'd be foolish to buy the heavy belt.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

It is. It doesn't make sense. That's why they're rebalancing it for the next game. What exactly they're doing i don't know, but there you have it.
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

I think it's necessary to dispense with the distinction.

Do a little research on Armor and get the weights / encumbrance right. Better armors can actually weigh less and be less of an encumbrance.

I'd also substitute Titanium for Tungsten, Titanium sounds less technological.

Mithril should be very light.

All the weight a character is carrying should have a performance effect, from travel speed to combat.

There also needs to be a concept of exhaustion, especially during combat but also for travel.

The encumbrance is distinct from its weight, it's how the armor restricts and makes difficult movement, that should be determined for every type and quality of armor. Very well made plate armor would be more comfortable and flexible than some cheap leather armors.

Some thought should be given to background, who's making all this armor and for what customers. Over the course of the game this stuff should start showing up in the hands of the NPCs.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

Tungsten is also stupidly heavy. Personally, i preferred the first game's system when it came to determining armor quality. It prevented silliness like iron cloaks, even though the 2nd game's system was designed around giving players equal amounts of items for every concievable category.

Another thing to consider is weapon weights. These have always been wrong, in both games. I do understand that this was mainly done for balance reasons though, particularly for mages. That currently works allright, though i'd like to see the focus shifted slightly more towards the gloves one's wearing. It's a minor nitpick, and i'd rather see other things fixed first. It doesn't obstruct gameplay.

Stamina was considered for book 2, i believe. Now it seems it'll be saved for a different series, when they can implement running as well. BW can explain this far better than i do though.
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

The Endurance statistic already exists, exhaustion and fatigue should be measured against it based upon activity, injury and encumbrance.

Dominions (1,2,3) has such a system. It's not perfect but it's a good basis for development.

Presently the character (and NPCs) are little Eveready Bunnies, going and going and not needing any rest.

Injury, exhaustion and encumbrance should degrade performance.