Why the linux version is not on Steam?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
bearro
Apprentice

Why the linux version is not on Steam?

Post by bearro »

Steam for Linux has been available for quite a while, Eschalon 1 and 2 have working Linux builds... why aren't they on steam???
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Why the linux version is not on Steam?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

From my understanding, that's a better question to ask Steam. BW has given them the files as far as I know.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:From my understanding, that's a better question to ask Steam. BW has given them the files as far as I know.
Sorry- that's not entirely true.

We were working on some Steam+Linux issues, and I think they are all worked out now, but in all honestly the push to get Book III done has taken over all of our time. Steam does not have the current Book I & II Linux files, though they are waiting on them.

The thought was, at this point, to just wait for Book III to get finished and then get the entire trilogy up on Linux/Steam at the same time.

Again, I do ask ANY and ALL Linux fans who want to see the Eschalon game on Linux to vote on our Book III Greenlight campaign.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
bearro
Apprentice

Post by bearro »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:From my understanding, that's a better question to ask Steam. BW has given them the files as far as I know.
Sorry- that's not entirely true.

We were working on some Steam+Linux issues, and I think they are all worked out now, but in all honestly the push to get Book III done has taken over all of our time. Steam does not have the current Book I & II Linux files, though they are waiting on them.

The thought was, at this point, to just wait for Book III to get finished and then get the entire trilogy up on Linux/Steam at the same time.

Again, I do ask ANY and ALL Linux fans who want to see the Eschalon game on Linux to vote on our Book III Greenlight campaign.
Thanks for the explanation, but is sending the files to steam that time consuming? Yet again, we Linux users may feel left out... that said of course I have voted to greenlight book 3
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It's not the sending the files, but making sure there are no bugs in the files. BW doesn't want the distraction of users complaining that it doesn't work and having to track down the problem code.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

bearro wrote:Yet again, we Linux users may feel left out... that said of course I have voted to greenlight book 3
I am a Linux user too. I use Linux exclusively at home, and 3 out of 6 computer in the studio are now Linux. I hope to fully switch over to Linux after Book III for all our production, leaving only Windows-based PCs for compiling and testing (everyone else: that means yes, of course, we will always support Windows and Mac too!)

There is more to it then just sending Steam the files. After the games are inserted into the system, we have to test them with our QA people and approve them to be published. It's just time consuming enough that we want to wait and do all three games together. I also hope to get the games on Ubuntu's Software service after that, as well. Again, it's all part of the big "Linux Push" after we get Book III finished.

So, I am with you bearro. I hope to see Linux become a major gaming platform when Steam releases SteamBox and SteamOS. Now if we could just get Adobe to support Linux, I would be able to do all my production on that platform!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
bearro
Apprentice

Post by bearro »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
bearro wrote:Yet again, we Linux users may feel left out... that said of course I have voted to greenlight book 3
I am a Linux user too. I use Linux exclusively at home, and 3 out of 6 computer in the studio are now Linux. I hope to fully switch over to Linux after Book III for all our production, leaving only Windows-based PCs for compiling and testing (everyone else: that means yes, of course, we will always support Windows and Mac too!)

There is more to it then just sending Steam the files. After the games are inserted into the system, we have to test them with our QA people and approve them to be published. It's just time consuming enough that we want to wait and do all three games together. I also hope to get the games on Ubuntu's Software service after that, as well. Again, it's all part of the big "Linux Push" after we get Book III finished.

So, I am with you bearro. I hope to see Linux become a major gaming platform when Steam releases SteamBox and SteamOS. Now if we could just get Adobe to support Linux, I would be able to do all my production on that platform!
Thank you for your detailed explanation! It's to hear you approach things in this way and I hope you will be able to fulfill all your plans and indeed move the production to Linux :) Anyway, now I have one more reason to eagerly await Book 3 :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:yes, of course, we will always support Windows and Mac too!
Pfft, niche hobbyist platforms. Everyone knows real gamers use Linux :P
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

SpottedShroom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:yes, of course, we will always support Windows and Mac too!
Pfft, niche hobbyist platforms. Everyone knows real gamers use Linux :P
Real gamers sit down at a table and sling dice. That way when they are losing they can do the table flip. :)