Bag end

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Bag end

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

Anyone notice that as a side benefit of foraging you get an infinite supply of semi permanent storage bags?

It's a wonderful way to more the entire contents of a mountain across the map. And avoid using town boxes that can get you in trouble or are inconveniently placed.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Bag end

Post by Vroqren »

Yes, this has been suggested as a way to easily move around Fathamurk, deciding which items you want to keep wherever you are, as opposed to just at chests.
While it's useful for that though, I have actually found it quite annoying to have the bags cluttering my world sometimes. In my current playthrough, where I'm going for maximum level, and I have to camp for monsters, the bags get on my nerves fast. I usually just throw everything from them on the ground as soon as I wake up.

So it's useful at times, but annoying at other times.

I liked an idea I saw in a suggestions about camping (that I am unable to find) that proposed that each time you camp you have a few options (i.e. Forage OR repair OR sleep [to refill health faster]).

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

I'd like the option to buy/build housing and furnishings, including chests & barrels.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You ought to look at [Balrum](http://balconyteam.com/), if you haven't already. It's an upcoming RPG that owes a lot to the Eschalon series, but includes almost Minecraft-like crafting, farming, etc.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

If you would have actually read the comments on that article, you would have noticed several arguments against it. Here's just one:

The only solution to bad worldbuilding is better storytelling. M. John Harrison said it best:

Every moment of a science fiction story must represent the triumph of writing over worldbuilding.

Worldbuilding is dull. Worldbuilding literalises the urge to invent. Worldbuilding gives an unnecessary permission for acts of writing (indeed, for acts of reading). Worldbuilding numbs the reader’s ability to fulfil their part of the bargain, because it believes that it has to do everything around here if anything is going to get done.

Above all, worldbuilding is not technically necessary. It is the great clomping foot of nerdism. It is the attempt to exhaustively survey a place that isn’t there. A good writer would never try to do that, even with a place that is there. It isn’t possible, & if it was the results wouldn’t be readable: they would constitute not a book but the biggest library ever built, a hallowed place of dedication & lifelong study. This gives us a clue to the psychological type of the worldbuilder & the worldbuilder’s victim, & makes us very afraid.