Camping

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Camping

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

I've burnt out so many lanterns forgetting to pack them away when I camp, and starved with food at hand, and so the following suggestions:

- Allow an option to turn off the lantern (or torch) while camped. Is there ever some reason to keep it lit?
- Make camp fires optional and require materials. Determine consequences.
- Make cold weather tents/cloths available.
- Mosquito netting, (keeps out large annoying insects.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Camping

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'll make sure in Book 3 lanterns are extinguished while you camp, but they will still be active when you wake up, so if you walk around in the daylight and use up all your oil it's not our fault. :wink:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

I think using materials for camping was discussed somewhere else before, but considered far too much of a hassle to implement. It's one of those things that wasn't made overly complicated for ease of use, especially since it would only add to the amount of weight you're constantly lugging around.

However, it could be used as a gateway script, where you'd have to talk to an NPC before being able to venture into colder areas. Said NPC would then fictionally supply you with the appropriate gear so you wouldn't die from cold, much like Osgood the cartman used to ferry you across the hellice lake. It would be a method of preventing people from heading into the wrong areas too soon.
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

I just use elemental armor against the cold, but I think what I'm getting at is that if you have the resources at hand it should be possible to set them on auto for particular situations such as camping. The character should eat and drink from his supplies as needed, just so the play need not intervene. This automatic behavior should be optional.

I've a concern that foraging is way too powerful. For purely economic reasons it's become a far more compelling activity than the adventure. In other words the character is spending most of his purposeful time scavenging than performing narrative related tasks.

The results of foraging should be influenced by location. In a locked room the most likely thing you should find is rat meat and mold.

Rather than slow thirst and hunger, foraging ability should produce berries & the occasional potato. Also low grade weapons like rocks, arrows and rusty knives.

Oddly, characters are immune to the need to sleep.