First time finished as a mage

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
User avatar
Calathon
Marshall
Posts: 103
Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 9:08 am
Location: Grimmhold

First time finished as a mage

Post by Calathon » April 13th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Like the subject says, I finished the game today for the first time playing as a mage. In all the computer games I play (or have played so far) I tend to prefer a warrior or paladin, which means that magic is just something I use to heal my character or improve him now or then for a short period of time. The first solo-player game I ever finished as a mage was EB:III, so I was curious how the second part would feel like when playing as a mage.
Moreover, I created a female character this time (nice physique 0_o) and invested nearly all skill and attribute points in those relevant to mana gain and mana regeneration. I never equipped any armour except for the purpose of getting the Orakur book (the one Saint Gilhelm :?: wants to have in his library) and never had any need for it since melee combat rarely happened to me. At the end of the game, I regenerated 4 MP per move and was able to deliver approximately 85 dmg with Ice Lance per cast, having a total of 255 MP. So this time the the fight against General Ghorr was an easy one, I even did not have any need for the wand the sorceress at Lorewitch gave me (in comparison: the fighter I played before really had problems defeating the General despite using all the wand´s charges).

So, like I once concluded in another topic concerning EB:III: playing as mage is far more easier than playing as a fighter (I have no experiences with playing as a ranger or rogue, though) and I am happy I gave the second part another shot with a different class! :)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by raverdave2k » April 18th, 2014, 7:50 am

I had much the same experience, I have always through all RPG games I've ever played allways gone for the warrior swinging a great big sword and wearing as much heavy armour as I could manage while still walking, until Book III.

Alhough my first play through of that was my usual build I then went back through and played as mage and found it a great experience, so much so that I then went back and did the same for I & II and I'm now having a great time re-playing Skyrim as a mage :D
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1470
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
Location: Wandering the Rift

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by Randomizer » April 18th, 2014, 11:41 am

I usually start as a mage and once the Book 1 cap of 1 mana per turn recharge was removed this became much more fun to play. Before it was attack and then retreat to recharge.

TenToes
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 8:10 am

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by TenToes » August 15th, 2017, 7:42 am

I've finished EB I only as a fighter. Any important tips before starting II as a mage?

edit: well, this is what I took for starting skills/attributes:
Image

User avatar
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 786
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 3:09 pm

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by Painted Lady » August 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

Well, I would probably tweak those stats a little myself. Maybe forget the Divination for a while, and put a point or two in either Unarmed Combat (barrel smashing and emergency defense when low on Mana) or Pick Locks.

TenToes
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 8:10 am

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by TenToes » August 15th, 2017, 8:58 am

Painted Lady wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 8:47 am
Well, I would probably tweak those stats a little myself. Maybe forget the Divination for a while, and put a point or two in either Unarmed Combat (barrel smashing and emergency defense when low on Mana) or Pick Locks.
OK, thanks.
Thought I'd need Divination for healing and protective spells.
Do you not get a pick lock spell? Is unarmed better than putting a point in swords?

I'll probably start the game tomorrow so mage build suggestions are welcome. I'll only play the game once so I don't really have time for trying out things and making non viable/broken builds

edit: I found this. I should be ok now viewtopic.php?t=5792
Edit 2: nah, that's for book I...

I'll start with this:
Image
Last edited by TenToes on August 15th, 2017, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 786
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 3:09 pm

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by Painted Lady » August 15th, 2017, 1:15 pm

So, the first question is - what is your difficulty level? If you are going hardcore, you need to be aware of Foraging. You will starve to death without it. Also, Repair is nice but is wasted at this point. Any blacksmith will fix your weapons for a nominal fee.

You will want Divination eventually, but you have precious few points to spare in the beginning. There is a Lock Pick spell, but it normally is not available right off the bat.

Are you going pure Mage or Mage mixed with weapons?

If you are mainly a Mage, you should lower Strength and Speed and raise Endurance and Concentration. Also put more points into Intelligence at first.

TenToes
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 8:10 am

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by TenToes » August 15th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Painted Lady wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 1:15 pm
So, the first question is - what is your difficulty level? If you are going hardcore, you need to be aware of Foraging. You will starve to death without it. Also, Repair is nice but is wasted at this point. Any blacksmith will fix your weapons for a nominal fee.

You will want Divination eventually, but you have precious few points to spare in the beginning. There is a Lock Pick spell, but it normally is not available right off the bat.

Are you going pure Mage or Mage mixed with weapons?

If you are mainly a Mage, you should lower Strength and Speed and raise Endurance and Concentration. Also put more points into Intelligence at first.
Hardcore.
I already played for about an hour so not sure if I want to re-roll anymore. I'll just go with this and get Foraging.

Or maybe I'll make a new one tomorrow...
So Elemental, Unarmed, Foraging, more Int (20?), End and Con?

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by SpottedShroom » August 15th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Put all your stat points into Perception except when you need them for Intelligence/Wisdom to learn higher-level spells. I personally don't bother with Unarmed and just wait until I have Lock Melt. Depends on whether you want to have an easier time starting out or a stronger character at the end of the game.

TenToes
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 8:10 am

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by TenToes » August 16th, 2017, 5:49 am

How bout I just take 5 in elemental in Character Creation and save the rest of the points and use books/trainers? Maybe 1 in foraging if it's essential for HC?

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by SpottedShroom » August 16th, 2017, 2:14 pm

That's what I do - 6 to start, actually, if you put 5 in then pick your class. I don't even get foraging, figuring I can learn Create Food before I run out of freely available food. But again, I'm sacrificing an easier early game for a stronger late-game character.

TenToes
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 8:10 am

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by TenToes » August 17th, 2017, 8:59 am

SpottedShroom wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 2:14 pm
That's what I do - 6 to start, actually, if you put 5 in then pick your class. I don't even get foraging, figuring I can learn Create Food before I run out of freely available food. But again, I'm sacrificing an easier early game for a stronger late-game character.
Thanks!

Solberg
Initiate
Posts: 13
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Re: First time finished as a mage

Post by Solberg » August 22nd, 2017, 3:11 pm

Calathon wrote:
April 13th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Like the subject says, I finished the game today for the first time playing as a mage. In all the computer games I play (or have played so far) I tend to prefer a warrior or paladin, which means that magic is just something I use to heal my character or improve him now or then for a short period of time. The first solo-player game I ever finished as a mage was EB:III, so I was curious how the second part would feel like when playing as a mage.
Moreover, I created a female character this time (nice physique 0_o) and invested nearly all skill and attribute points in those relevant to mana gain and mana regeneration. I never equipped any armour except for the purpose of getting the Orakur book (the one Saint Gilhelm :?: wants to have in his library) and never had any need for it since melee combat rarely happened to me. At the end of the game, I regenerated 4 MP per move and was able to deliver approximately 85 dmg with Ice Lance per cast, having a total of 255 MP. So this time the the fight against General Ghorr was an easy one, I even did not have any need for the wand the sorceress at Lorewitch gave me (in comparison: the fighter I played before really had problems defeating the General despite using all the wand´s charges).

So, like I once concluded in another topic concerning EB:III: playing as mage is far more easier than playing as a fighter (I have no experiences with playing as a ranger or rogue, though) and I am happy I gave the second part another shot with a different class! :)
I just ended with warrior and killed Ghorr with certain difficulty, i have 40 str, 40end and 25 dex, 11 divination. never used the wand, had alchemy 22 and used all protection pots on me!! +3 on all armor lol

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests