Cities

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Cities

Post by Rune_74 »

This is one area I felt needed to be addressed in the first game and brought it up when testing the first game. I like cities, I enjoy the different towns and stuff you can do in them.

I felt in book 1 there were not enough cities, not enough large cities. Thats not to say the ones that were there were not well done, just that I think there could be a definite upscale in the number;)

So, how many cities is ideal? I guess that really depends on the size of the map for the new edition. I personally would like to see Eschalon's version of Britania....maybe some different towns dedicated to certain things like mining, forestry, fishing..etc...

Now I don't want just filler towns I want towns with character and interesting quests(I know I'm greedy)

So lets put it out there what do you guys think?
alpha
Steward

Post by alpha »

1 Extremely Large, Beautiul Multi-tier capital, everything else seems minor.

Hopefully there will be enough cities for all alchemy ingredients to respawn somewhere :) (ash chough cough spiderweb cough)
Incinerator Fuel = Pure Ownage xD
Ihsan
Apprentice

Post by Ihsan »

I liked how there was a few little towns, it added to the atmosphere of survival. But in saying that I do think there should have been one quite large town - black water just seemed far to small and felt just like a vending machine, there wasnt even a baracks were all those gaurds slept :O
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I agree.

I think 4 or 5 medium to large sized towns would be perfect, maybe twice the size of blackwater with intersting things to do and see and more quests would be great.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

In Book II I would like little towns with several larger cities and one huge metropolis. Like Baldur's Gate.
History is written by the winners!
dalamber
Initiate

Post by dalamber »

I'd really love it if most of the adventure would happen in the shadowy streets of a fantasy city. But, as far as my experience with RPG Maker goes, this is several times more time-consuming design activity than wilderness and dungeons. So we're leaving this option out.

I'd vote for a really huge capital city, one that may not even fit in one map. There should not only be vendors, quest npcs and guards, but some commoners too, some might sell goods that are not really useful for the adventurer like food or common clothes, etc. The city should definitely have some adventuring areas itself, like cliche sewers, haunted cellars, thug-infested docks, or something more interesting. Finding an underground passage from an old lady's house to the bak safe full of gold and stuff like this is really exciting.

It's probably enough to have one huge city and several little villages/camps sizeof aridell and blackwater, I think. Besides, even mainstream commercial games usually don't go through this huge effort of creating more than one huge city in the game, Arcanum being almost unique exception.

And, if the game is really built this way, with one huge city, the story should not definitely be built in a way that you just "pass" through it and then come back sometimes to shop and get rewards. It should "revolve" around instead, giving access to new quests and areas.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I really really want to see like a four map large city with slums and just oozing atmosphere:) I'm hoping for at least a couple of large cities for the new game or perhaps a couple large cities and quite a few little ones like blackwater.....

Just my wish:)