Just a Couple of Questions

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
lordhoff
Apprentice

Just a Couple of Questions

Post by lordhoff »

1. Is there any protection from the stun power of the (forget their name - the 23 huge bugs in the northwestern forests)? With a ranger build, I just fired from a distance inside buildings where possible but this time around, I have an amazon with only level one bow and limited magic (I have five points in both) so I'll have to get up close.

2. I've read somewhere that the fire resistant leg guards get destroyed fast when lava walking. If true, do they still have any protection if just carried? I didn't have them the last time - just took the hits reduced somewhat by the elemental potions and carried my leg and foot armor.

3. Hide in shadows doesn't seem to do much in II - its says you're hidden but enemies still attack you. In E-I, I used this with the rogue build and, while tedious, was very affective. Does it work as well at high levels in II?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Just a Couple of Questions

Post by Randomizer »

1. You have a resistance chance, but if you fail then you get stunned so have lots of health.

2. Only equipped items give resistance and the damage comes off your foot and leg armors. It's better to just take it off rather than lose that armor.

3. Hide in Shadows and Move Silently need more levels to be effective in Book 2 since it was exploited too much in Book 1 where you just needed one level.
lordhoff
Apprentice

Post by lordhoff »

So, for the Goliath Beetles (I think), concentration is key to the defense? I have a concentration ring that I was going to sell.
lordhoff
Apprentice

Post by lordhoff »

Something else I'm wondering about (and lack the patience to test). Many places have targets that one can shoot - does your archery level go up if you shoot "x" number of arrows into them?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

lordhoff wrote:Something else I'm wondering about (and lack the patience to test). Many places have targets that one can shoot - does your archery level go up if you shoot "x" number of arrows into them?
No, all of them (in Book II) are decorative.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

They do serve the purpose of draining your missile weapons. Which hurts a lot at the start.
lordhoff
Apprentice

Post by lordhoff »

SpottedShroom wrote:
lordhoff wrote:Something else I'm wondering about (and lack the patience to test). Many places have targets that one can shoot - does your archery level go up if you shoot "x" number of arrows into them?
No, all of them (in Book II) are decorative.
I guess it made too much sense :) Strange that they were designed to hi-lite, though. Things that do so in the game usually have a purpose.
lordhoff
Apprentice

Post by lordhoff »

Silly question but, since the hero is a fisherman, shouldn't there be some ability to catch fish and eat same?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

lordhoff wrote:Silly question but, since the hero is a fisherman, shouldn't there be some ability to catch fish and eat same?
No, the memory loss potion has the weird effect of causing you to forget how to fish as soon as you begin adventuring again. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Warren1965
Initiate

Post by Warren1965 »

Rather than start a new thread I will just add on to this one.
It has been a awhile since I played book II and I got a really exceptional roll to build my character, exceptionally low (4 7's I think). As I mentioned elsewhere I limit adding attributes and skills to 1 point on level up so I am concerned about making a go with this character and had a few questions.

1. It seems levels 2-10 in shields don't do anything if I am understanding what I have found on line, is that right?

2. The stunning from Goliath Boreheads I had always assumed was the same as a sonic blast spell and used Magic Resistance does anyone know for sure?

Because most of my attributes started out around 10 (if your are new to the game that is my own sub-optimal choice) I am planning on getting meditation and medicine to have some chance of not getting poisoned or catching every disease every time the chance comes up. It got shield from the book and deflecting missiles sounds good but if I have to get to level 11 to have 3% chance it does sound to enticing.

On the plus side I am willing to actually try and play this guy because the EB's are actually playable even if you do have low stats and make goofy choices now and again.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

1. Shield skill just lets you use shields without a penalty until level 11, when it starts providing a chance to deflect missiles. I'd rather spend the skill on Elemental and get Dense Nimbus.

2. Yes, I remember that being a save vs. Magic because my wizard characters always did better against it.

Book II is probably possible to finish with any character, even starting with all 7s. You can get so much quest XP before having to get into any fights that lots of sub-optimal characters should work.
Warren1965
Initiate

Post by Warren1965 »

Thanks for the response. Fortunately I got shield from the book rather than spending 3 points on it. It is a dark and seductive invitation to madness though, they weigh a ton and you can't use a torch or lantern (or bow) and you need to be really strong to cast spells while carrying one. With all that though it is hard to give up the armor they provide. I am having fun with this character though, my frail, weak, foolish and stupid fighter to 7th hasn't been easy but it is satisfying to now be able to beat up wolves and spiders, albeit no more than 3 at a time.

The main reason I keep the roll I get when starting a new game and only increase stats and skills a point at a time is because I do know where the quests are and how to solve them so this keeps things a little tense. I had forgotten how much more you can use alchemy in book 2 than book 1. Having to buy stuff to create potions is something I never remembered to do really so pretty much I made Healing 3's and buffed my armor and weapons once Blackwater was available. With foraging giving me stuff every time I nap I am more likely to have the stuff to make other things. With this character in particular as I just got my Int to 15 and it will be level 12 before my Wisdom will get to 15 if I add points there I really need healing potions which are rare on the drops I am getting although I don't seem to get willow bark either and more importantly cats eye to use up all that noximander and brimstone. Getting them from camping also means mixing on the go just like the oh so accurate book title.