Price differentiation for Book II

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Prices should differ from region to region. Prices could also differ from store to store. There should be some competition in a city. If you go to Blackwater in Book I, all the shops charge the same price, for the same item what happened to competition or are they all in cahoots (price fixing anyone). :o :wink: If you are in desert, water and food should command a premium price. If everyone in a region grows apples, apples should be cheap. Some variation in pricing. Or if you are a frequent customer at a shop you get a discount. I know having the same price for an item probably makes for easier coding. This is just a suggestion.
History is written by the winners!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spiderweb games used to do that with prices shifted from extremely cheap to utterly outrageous. This worked for buy and selling, so you had to keep track of the best places to sell valuable items.

It gets to be a pain since if you are running near capacity with inventory, you just want to sell to reduce weight and free up slots for more items. Trust me it's not that great.
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

Well, it would make the mercantile skill useful. Legendary Merchant, anyone?
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Yes you have to keep track of the best places to buy and sell. But you did the same thing in Sid Meier's Pirates! But quick travel would make it easier to go from one location to another. Or BW could put in a personal note log where this information could be kept.
History is written by the winners!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I have no problem with this...if you don't want to find teh highest bidder you don't have too.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Might be useful to have some sort of storage where you can stash stuff you want to keep, but don't want to have to carry round all the time.
Ameefmu
Initiate

Post by Ameefmu »

You can store your items in barrels and chests, and they wont disappear.
I remember i kept all my arrows in the barrel near the archery trainer.
That was after he 'went off to fight bandits' and died.
What is an Ameefmu?
Bluthand
Initiate

Post by Bluthand »

You should be carefully when adding different prices in EB2. I currently like in EB1 that I don't have to care about prices. I simply sell in the first store I drop in. I don't like to manage price lists in my back head.

Different prices should have a reason and easy to remember. Example: the blacksmith with the axt skill training sells better axes for less and pays more for them. Another option would be very specialized traders like a arrow maker that sells arrows for less than the others, but he is situated not just 10 steps from the next teleportation point.

Another thing is that one store should not sell stuff for less than another store is paying for. This would add this trading facette to the game and finally it may turn out like another version of Elite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)) and effect game balance significantly.