Unofficial Eschalon: Book II FAQ

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Where can I download the latest version of Eschalon: Book II?

If you purchased Book II from Basilisk Games you can download the latest version from here. If you purchased from a digital distribution service you should download the game using their software or website.

Version notes for Book II can be found in this topic.

Was a game editor made available to the public?

Basilisk Games did not release a game editor for Book II but an unofficial character and map editor was created by community member xolotl and can be downloaded from here.

Were any expansions released?

Basilisk Games released the free add-on, "The Secret of Fathamurk" with version 1.05 of the game. (Ref)

There were tentative plans for a second add-on which would of focused on the Yoma Spring Cavern area but nothing materialised. (Ref)

Can I play Eschalon: Book II in another language?

A French translation was finished by community member madeba and can be downloaded from here.

Where can I find my saved games?

On the main menu where you can start a new game click on the text at the bottom of the screen and you will be given the location of your saved games.

I purchased Eschalon: Book II from Basilisk Games and have lost the email that contains my registration code. How can I recover my code?

If you are absolutely certain that you have lost the email that contained your registration code you will need to email Basilisk Games for a reminder. Contact details can be found here.

So you can be identified as a legitimate owner of Book III you should share in your email your full name, email address and Zip/Postal Code that you used when you made your purchase.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on November 23rd, 2014, 5:42 pm, edited 116 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

When playing Book II you can hold the TAB button down on your keyboard and the coordinates for your mouse cursor will be shown. Doing this will also tell you the name of the map you are in. A few of the answers below come with coordinates.

If you cannot find what you are looking for then please browse the Book II Forum or use the search query.

=================================
General Game Help
=================================

During my adventures I have come across a bell with a unique name that when picked up makes a special sound. Are there others and what is their purpose?
[+] SPOILER
There are four bells. If you take all four bells to Lockston Hall Archives underneath Lockston Hall Academica in Port Kuudad and use the bell tree at coordinates X=41 and Y=78 you will receive 30,000 experience points. You can only enter Lockston Hall Archives if you have given Saint Gilhelm Ruel's research book on the Orakur which he keeps hidden away in his house in Southern Kessian Basin.

The Cerulescent Bell can be found inside a chest on the small island in the middle of Greenriven Lake west of Eastwillow. You can only reach this area if you explore underneath Ironpool Dam and head into Lost Westwillow. When you are in Lost Westwillow make your way southwest to the area surrounded by a wall and use the ladder in the bottom building at coordinates X=56 and Y=172 to reach the chest.

The Lutescent Bell can be found underneath Port Kuudad in Thieves' Arcadia. To access this area you must solve the four chest puzzle in Port Kuudad Sewers. When you are in Thieves' Arcadia make your way to the area with the three chests that are locked in separate rooms. This area is northeast from the stairs leading back to Port Kuudad Sewers. The Lutescent bell is in the slider chest at coordinates X=59 and Y=21 and the answer for the slider lock can be found in the room west of the chests if you examine the table in the corner.

The Virescent Bell can be found on the second level of Lorewitch in a chest near the left corner at coordinates X=28 and Y=103.

The Rubescent bell can be found on the second level of Hammerlorne Mine inside a chest behind the breakable wall west from the stairs leading to the next level of Hammerlorne Mine.
How many skill trainers will I encounter during the game? What can they teach me and where can I find them?
[+] SPOILER
There are seven trainers with fourteen skills available for training. The skills are Bow Weapons, Thrown Weapons, Foraging, Swords, Cleaving Weapons, Bludgeoning Weapons, Elemental, Divination, Alchemy, Cartography, Hide in Shadows, Move Silently, Pick Locks and Repair. You can make use of a trainer if your character doesn't know or has less than eight points in a skill.

Bow Weapons, Thrown Weapons and Foraging are taught by Hunter in a hidden grove in Wolfenwood. Make your way west from Everdale and travel along the road until you come across a bucket. When you have found this bucket head northwest into the trees to find Hunter. The coordinates for the bucket are X=63 and Y=99.

Swords, Cleaving Weapons and Bludgeoning Weapons are taught by Sonya in Port Kuudad inside her establishment south of the Quick Travel marker.

Elemental and Divination are taught by Luci in Port Kuudad inside her magick shop north of the Quick Travel marker.

Alchemy is taught by Becka in Port Kuudad inside her alchemical store southeast of the Quick Travel marker.

Cartography is taught by Ned in Port Kuudad in the port authority building southeast of the Quick Travel marker.

Hide in Shadows, Move Silently and Pick Locks are taught by Zeblin who is in Thieves' Arcadia which is underneath Port Kuudad. To reach this area you have to solve the four chest puzzle in sewers underneath Port Kuudad. Zeblin will only offer to train you if you are looking for the assassin that killed Darus and if you agree to abandon this quest.

Repair is taught by Gilgamen inside his blacksmith in Durnore.
=============================
Early Game Help
=============================

Father Tyrus is concerned about his disciple Julian and wants me to find and convince him to return to the Covenant of Mosan. I have descended the old well at the back of the temple but I cannot find Julian. Where can I find him?
[+] SPOILER
Find the room with the wooden lever surrounded by pressure plates. Head northeast and follow the corridor clockwise until you come to a dead end. You need to step on the pressure plate next to the sconce with the lit torch at coordinates X=45 and Y=180.
Anwick has asked me to find and destroy a Dragonel nest close to his farmlands. Where can I find the nest?
[+] SPOILER
Head north from Anwick's farmland until you find a pond and from here head northeast and enter the next map which will be Southern Kessian Basin. Make your way southeast and you will find the Dragonel nest at coordinates X=19 and Y=59.
South of the Farrock Range I have come across a house with a pentagram that when stepped on does nothing. Behind the pentagram is a plaque that bears a poem about the metal alloy bronze. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
To use the pentagram your character has to be equipped with bronze armor on the following slots: Helm, Torso, Gauntlet, Legs and Feet. You can use both light and heavy armor for this puzzle.
North of Irondeep Dam I have come across a destroyed temple and inside of it is a chest with a slider lock. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 8717.

Examine the large obsidian grave stone in the graveyard next to the temple and the answer is the date the temple was founded.
The Gate Sentinels outside Port Kuudad won't let me enter without presenting a citizen writ. How can I get inside?
[+] SPOILER
There are several ways.

The easiest involves bribing one of the Gate Sentinels with a large amount of gold or using a Potion of Invisibility to discreetly open the entrance by pushing one of the wooden levers.

Another way is to obtain a Citizen Writ and show it to one of the Gate Sentinels. You can find one of these in in Wolfenwood, the forest west of Everdale. Enter Wolfenwood from the west side and make your way east along the road. When you come across the fresh trail of blood head southeast into the trees and head west at the first opportunity to find a mauled body that has a Citizen Writ.

The longest route to getting inside of Port Kuudad involves entering the Farrock Caves and using the exit on the east side. If you head northeast after leaving the Farrock Caves and enter the next map you will come across an entrance to the sewers of Port Kuudad which will allow you to reach the city.
================================
Middle Game Help
================================

Underneath Port Kuudad in the sewers I have found four chests and a wooden lever next to a sealed stairwell. How do I open the stairwell?
[+] SPOILER
You need to place a specific item into each chest. From left to right: Lock Pick, Bag of Salt, Small Candle and Quill and Inkwell. When you have done this use the wooden lever.
In Thieves' Arcadia I have found three chests with slider locks and cannot find the combinations to unlock them. How do I find out the numbers?
[+] SPOILER
Make your way to the room west of where the chests are located and click on the table in the corner to find the numbers.
I have found a treasure map in Everdale and cannot find the treasure. Where do I start?
[+] SPOILER
Head north from Everdale and enter the next map which will be Northwest Kessian Basin. From this map make your way northwest until you come across a river and follow it southwest into the next map which will be Eastern Fellpine Forest. Continue following the river until you find a bridge and on the other side you will find the rocks depicted on the treasure map in front of you. Head north from the rocks into the trees and go west when you can to find a clearing full of tree stumps. The tree stump at coordinates X=59 and Y=28 is where you will find the treasure.
The gate guards at Raven's Gate won't let me enter Nor'land without presenting a citizen writ. Where can I find one?
[+] SPOILER
You can find a Citizen Writ at Broken Blade in the house next to the coast northeast from the Quick Travel marker. This item is inside the chest drawers at coordinates X=45 and Y=39.
While exploring Hammerlorne Mine I have come across two pentagrams. Stepping on the pentagram to the left takes me to several small rooms littered with skeletal remains and no apparent exit. How do I escape?
[+] SPOILER
Make your way to the top left room with the closed portcullis and head southeast. In the last room you will find a secret wall in the bottom corner that you can walk through.
While exploring Hammerlorne Mine I have come across two pentagrams. Stepping on the pentagram to the right takes me into the middle of a room full of Sentinel Stalks and no apparent exit. How do I escape?
[+] SPOILER
East of where you were teleported you will see two sconces with lit torches inside. Between the sconces is a secret wall that you can walk through.
After passing the pentagrams in Hammerlorne Mine I have destroyed a wall and found a chest with a slider lock. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 6109.

Behind the chest is a plaque that gives you 16 numbers. You are given the first and last number for the slider lock combination when you examine the plaque. Simply find number 6 and follow it to the left to get the answer.
============================
Late Game Help
============================

I have entered Fathamurk and found a pressure plate that when stepped on results in a portcullis crushing me. How do I get past?
[+] SPOILER
Head northwest from the portcullis and make your way down the corridor. At the end you will enter a small room that contains a couple of Powder Kegs. Pick up one, place it on the pressure plate and use the wooden lever.
While exploring Fathamurk I have come across two rows of wooden levers and a sealed door. What is the combination?
[+] SPOILER
On the left row push the middle lever. On the right row push the middle and right levers.

On the wall behind the sealed door are three loose chains that are vertical to the levers you must pull.
I have found a device in Fathamurk that shows eight crystal symbols above a small collection bin. The journal of Hammond Burraok surmises that the device will work if I find enough Candecium. Where can I find the required amount?
[+] SPOILER
You can find two pieces on the first level of Fathamurk. The first piece is inside the bag at the beginning of the dungeon next to the skeletal remains of Hammond Burroak. The other piece drops from a Lava Slag in the magma flow control room near the wooden lever in the top corner.

The rest of the Candecium can be found on the second level of Fathamurk. One piece is in the chest south of the stairs leading back to the first level of Fathamurk. Four pieces can be found on the tables around coordinates X=48 and Y=115. The last piece is in a chest just southeast from the tables.
I have found another device in Fathamurk that requires Candecium to work. Where can I find the required amount?
[+] SPOILER
All of the required Candecium can be found on the same level. One of the Lava Slags in the blasting charge storage room has a piece. Head south from this area and make your way down one of the three corridors to a room full of chests. Inside the chests you will find six pieces. The last piece can be found in an oak cabinet near the portals southeast from the blasting charge storage room.
I have made my way into Talushorn and found some stairs to the next level but they are behind a closed gate. How do I open the gates?
[+] SPOILER
Head northeast from the closed gate and push the wooden lever that is between the four chairs next to the wall. This will unlock a passageway to the west where you will find another wooden lever that when used will open the gate to the stairs.
On the second level of Talushorn I have come across another closed gate but I can see a wooden lever on the other side. How I do get past?
[+] SPOILER
Head northwest from the closed gate and go northeast down the corridor. At the end of the corridor you will find a room with three practice targets and two Taurax Spearmasters behind a fence. Destroy the fence with Demon Oil or a Powder Keg to explore the rest of Talushorn.
On the third level of Talushorn I have found a pressure plate in the middle of a room surrounded by eight wooden levers. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
On the top row push the last three levers. On the bottom row push the first and third levers. Step on the pressure plate when you are done.

If you examine the plaque outside the room and rotate the image 180 degrees the black triangle will face east which is the direction you are heading. Imagine a red circle at every turn or stop of the black line and you will see eight red circles. The path of the black line shows the wooden levers you have to push to complete this puzzle.
Reaching the last level of Talushorn a gate has closed behind me and all I can find are two strange machines. How do I continue?
[+] SPOILER
You need to destroy the machine in the northeast room. Doing so will open the sealed door to the west.
While exploring the last level of Talushorn I have come across a door with a slider lock. What is the combination?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 2514.

If you look at the floor near the door you will notice some of the tiles don't match the rest of the room. There are four rows of these tiles and counting these tiles for each row gives you the answer.
How many ways can I complete Eschalon: Book II?
[+] SPOILER
There are two endings. The first has the player summon Korren into the Crux Chamber with the Strange Viewing Glass and having a conversation with him. The second sees the player attack Korren instead of talking to him and killing him.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on November 23rd, 2014, 5:44 pm, edited 152 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Please do not post in this thread

If you have any comments or suggestions about this topic then please private message me instead.